ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS - 2018 UPDATE

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS

The Naval Service has routinely only recruited to the base of the organisation with recruits being trained to fill roles and promoted to the requirement. The trial project to generate an apprentice scheme, recruiting into the Leading Hand rate, was initiated in 2016.

The Accelerated Apprentice (AA) scheme affords an alternative route for potential recruits with advanced academic engineering qualifications.

The AA entry for 2018 will include the submarine engineer streams for the first time. It will initially run in parallel with, and ultimately replace, the Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (UGAS) which exists as a temporary measure to mitigate shortfalls of MESM and WESM operators/maintainers at Petty Officer level. As the enduring solution, the AA scheme will deliver submarine engineers at Leading Hand level. Trainees will be recruited as generic engineering submariners and will be streamed MESM/WESM at the end of SMQ(dry)

.Applicability Alll eligible applicants may apply. Eligibility criteria that will apply are as detailed:

Minimum age on entry 17
Maximum age on entry 25 (before 26th birthday on entry)
There are nationality restrictions – speak to your AFCO for details

National academic and educational standards are complex, with a range of alternatives for both academic and vocational qualifications. Vocational qualifications are notoriously difficult to understand and interpret. Where doubt exists whether a qualification is acceptable, the AFCO will contact the AA Coordinator notifying the response to the candidate. Candidates must meet the following criteria:

Qualifications. The AA scheme requires applicants to hold specified Level 3 qualifications. There are 3 options open to applicants:

Option 1 – (All) vocational. A vocational qualification in an engineering discipline at Level 3, generally carrying the title “Level 3 Diploma in Engineering”. There are many sub-disciplines or ‘pathways’ including Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic, Manufacturing or Aeronautical Engineering as required by the individual branch.
OR
Option 2 – (AE, MEGS and WEGS) academic. GCEs (A-Levels) in Mathematics and Physics at Grade D or higher
[2]. This route is only applicable to those applicants seeking entry as ME, WE or AE: it is not open to SM applicants.
OR
Option 3 – SM only – academic. GCEs (A-Levels) in Mathematics and other STEM subjects as detailed below.

RT. The recruit test must be passed at the appropriate level regardless of academic attainment

Recruiting Process

Candidates meeting the academic and recruit test requirements will undergo an AA enhanced interview. The location for the interview will be by local arrangement.

Candidates are then to follow the normal selection process thetreafter.

All of the AA roles are on the RN careers web page. Candidates will follow the standard rating recruiting process with the addition of an enhanced interview and allocated a joining date to New Entry training.

Candidates will join on Engagement Stage 1 standard career option and receive the initial 12-year engagement.

Candidates that are operating from predicted grades will be offered a provisional allocation subject to achieving the required results prior to entry.

Accepted academic qualifications below...if it will et me upload the bloody pdf!

AA, that was my rate as an Artificer Apprentice, isn’t reinventing the wheel a spiffing occupation......
Rab

You beat me to it!

Someone has an FGI to get rid of tiff apprentices. Soon becomes apparent that we do actually need apprentices and lo and behold, someone will be picking up a Herbert Lott for a cunning idea to start an apprentice scheme.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Rab

You beat me to it!

Someone has an FGI to get rid of tiff apprentices. Soon becomes apparent that we do actually need apprentices and lo and behold, someone will be picking up a Herbert Lott for a cunning idea to start an apprentice scheme.
Herbert Lott's, in my experience, are for ratings. SO1s usually award themselves MBEs for wheel invention.

iffy

Midshipman
ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS

The Naval Service has routinely only recruited to the base of the organisation with recruits being trained to fill roles and promoted to the requirement. The trial project to generate an apprentice scheme, recruiting into the Leading Hand rate, was initiated in 2016.

The Accelerated Apprentice (AA) scheme affords an alternative route for potential recruits with advanced academic engineering qualifications.

The AA entry for 2018 will include the submarine engineer streams for the first time. It will initially run in parallel with, and ultimately replace, the Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (UGAS) which exists as a temporary measure to mitigate shortfalls of MESM and WESM operators/maintainers at Petty Officer level. As the enduring solution, the AA scheme will deliver submarine engineers at Leading Hand level. Trainees will be recruited as generic engineering submariners and will be streamed MESM/WESM at the end of SMQ(dry)

.Applicability Alll eligible applicants may apply. Eligibility criteria that will apply are as detailed:

Minimum age on entry 17
Maximum age on entry 25 (before 26th birthday on entry)
There are nationality restrictions – speak to your AFCO for details

National academic and educational standards are complex, with a range of alternatives for both academic and vocational qualifications. Vocational qualifications are notoriously difficult to understand and interpret. Where doubt exists whether a qualification is acceptable, the AFCO will contact the AA Coordinator notifying the response to the candidate. Candidates must meet the following criteria:

Qualifications. The AA scheme requires applicants to hold specified Level 3 qualifications. There are 3 options open to applicants:

Option 1 – (All) vocational. A vocational qualification in an engineering discipline at Level 3, generally carrying the title “Level 3 Diploma in Engineering”. There are many sub-disciplines or ‘pathways’ including Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic, Manufacturing or Aeronautical Engineering as required by the individual branch.
OR
Option 2 – (AE, MEGS and WEGS) academic. GCEs (A-Levels) in Mathematics and Physics at Grade D or higher
[2]. This route is only applicable to those applicants seeking entry as ME, WE or AE: it is not open to SM applicants.
OR
Option 3 – SM only – academic. GCEs (A-Levels) in Mathematics and other STEM subjects as detailed below.
RT. The recruit test must be passed at the appropriate level regardless of academic attainment
Recruiting Process
Candidates meeting the academic and recruit test requirements will undergo an AA enhanced interview. The location for the interview will be by local arrangement.

Candidates are then to follow the normal selection process thetreafter.

All of the AA roles are on the RN careers web page. Candidates will follow the standard rating recruiting process with the addition of an enhanced interview and allocated a joining date to New Entry training.
Candidates will join on Engagement Stage 1 standard career option and receive the initial 12-year engagement.
Candidates that are operating from predicted grades will be offered a provisional allocation subject to achieving the required results prior to entry.
Accepted academic qualifications below...if it will et me upload the bloody pdf!

iffy

Midshipman
Is that correct.
I recall Corsham, HMS Royal Arthur- swimming in no badge P.O's -- Trained Shipwrights Plumbers and Carpenters recruited from civvie street. Ask Prince Philip-He was there.

...Ask Prince Philip-He was there.
Aye - way, way in 1946, were you? :ROLL:

(Later, at POLC during the last few weeks of 1967 the 21st Birthday announcement of RA at Morning Divisions was followed by the order to 'March on the Cake!' Subsequently awarded to the best Division on Parade.

Not guilty - So no cake... No splicers either, just the usual neaters at 1630 Secure - for everyone, even for the sprinkling of killicks on course ATT.)

You seem unaware there are many old hands of Prince Philip's age still about and cogent. Some would have enjoyed Royal Arthur when it was awash with skilled no badge P.O. Artisans taken up trained from trade.
My next door neighbour captain is one of the few still alive who sports WW2 Korean and Falklands campaign medals. He is an intellectual force to be reckoned with. He enjoyed Corsham very much as I did. Lt Mountbatten was biding his time to royal betrothal

You seem unaware there are many old hands of Prince Philip's age still about and cogent. Some would have enjoyed Royal Arthur when it was awash with skilled no badge P.O. Artisans taken up trained from trade.
My next door neighbour captain is one of the few still alive who sports WW2 Korean and Falklands campaign medals. He is an intellectual force to be reckoned with. He enjoyed Corsham very much as I did. Lt Mountbatten was biding his time to royal betrothal
-
iffy
ˈɪfi/
adjective
informal

1. full of uncertainty; doubtful.
    "the prospect for classes resuming next Wednesday seems iffy"
    synonyms:tentative, undecided, unsettled, unsure, unreliable, unresolved, in doubt, in the balance;
    informalup in the air
    "that date is a bit iffy"
    • of doubtful quality or legality.
      "a good wine merchant will change the iffy bottles for sound ones"
      synonyms:substandard, second-rate, low-grade, low-quality, of low quality, of poor quality;
      doubtful, dubious, questionable;
      informalnot up to much;
      informaldodgy, ropy, not much cop

How do we spell Tif?

Good thing we're not returning to an operator/maintainer split in the comms world.

I give it 5 years before the WE comms operators return to the Warfare branch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s already going back, WE(CIS) it Just didn’t work
remember talking to a Yank back in the 90's just as we were steam rolling out the maint/operator, the yank said they were going back to the old maintainers and operators as people are normally one or the other not many can be good at both, the RN ploughed ahead to prove the yanks were correct?

remember talking to a Yank back in the 90's just as we were steam rolling out the maint/operator, the yank said they were going back to the old maintainers and operators as people are normally one or the other not many can be good at both, the RN ploughed ahead to prove the yanks were correct?
I don't think there were ANY tech senior rates that thought OMs would be a good idea. As said, the RN pushed it through regardless. I knew the WO i/c and he was a zealot driving it forward.

How much money was wasted with that exercise?

Not sure if my question is appropriate here if not just remove it or put it somewhere else. Thanks.

I am interested in joining the AA in AE. I wonder what qualities do the RN look for in a AA candidate? Is that more about the acedemic qualification (say better grades in GCE A level), or is it about other personal qualities? If they both contribute to the results of the selection, would the RN focus more on either of them? And if there is anything else that they would be considering, I would be happy to know them as well. Thank you so much.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Not sure if my question is appropriate here if not just remove it or put it somewhere else. Thanks.

I am interested in joining the AA in AE. I wonder what qualities do the RN look for in a AA candidate? Is that more about the acedemic qualification (say better grades in GCE A level), or is it about other personal qualities? If they both contribute to the results of the selection, would the RN focus more on either of them? And if there is anything else that they would be considering, I would be happy to know them as well. Thank you so much.
We are looking for evidence that you have the technical knowledge, aptitude and experience commensurate with your technical qualifications but also strong evidence of leadership potential with hopefully management experience and several examples of each.

I don't think there were ANY tech senior rates that thought OMs would be a good idea. As said, the RN pushed it through regardless. I knew the WO i/c and he was a zealot driving it forward.

The only place I can say it did work was in the Strategic Weapon System. All rates carried out the watch keeping alongside and at sea, completed the maintenance and also pretended to launch/jettison missiles.

I think OMs would've worked if we'd actually committed to it, not just use them as source branch ratings who could change a fuse.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The mob has sought the Holy Grail of the generic multi-purpose matelot for as long as I can remember.

Trouble is the add-ons are usually branch mergers or de-enrichment with adquals or PJTs...until someone re-invents that circular disc thingy.

Technicians get the hump when employed in what they perceive as "menial" tasking or become hyper-critical when lesser mortals prove themselves equally capable, (or not). We then end up with a skills shortage through failure to retain.

Ultimately, the only way to reduce the manpower requirement is to multi-skill but again you'll always find people trying to palm-off the less-fulfilling or more onerous tasks.

One need only compare the required RN SJAR 1RO/2RO and the required RM SJAR 1RO/2RO in JSP 757 to see de-enrichment in action. The adage "If you want something doing, ask a busy person" is very much alive and kicking.