Abuse of Falklands Argentine conscripts.

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Stirlin, Sep 24, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had a few of the conscripts (POW's) on Uganda and most of them were from the poorer regions out in the boondocks ... conscripted and put on a Herc and flown to the Islands ... and really thought they were "fighting" on the Argentinian mainland and had been told that if they were captured they would be treated like it seems their Officers were treating them in the first place ... a lot of very scared kids!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Mate of mine was a killick stoker on the Norland. He said the PoWs they returned to the mainland were pretty much starving and extremely grateful for the hot meals, warm and comfortable accommodation. Poor sods, they really did have it rough.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The wounded POWs that came to us were terrified that we were going to torture them and then eat them. They had been told not to get captured as this was what awaited them.
    They spent most of the time before being repatriated, in their beds with the pillows pulled over their heads and the blankets pulled right up so that you could only see their eyes.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To be fair, I wouldn't put anything past Naval Chefs :)
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. But if memory serve dapps they couldn't get enough of the rock cakes (sorry bread rolls) you guys produced on a daily basis! :)
  6. You guys! :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Funnily enough, there were no pussers chefs on there. As it happens all the cooking was done by civvies.
    I was a bit of an after thought and spent half of my time on the flight deck as a chockhead and the other half as a nurse!