About the Submarine Service.

soleil

War Hero
witsend said:
I've had a few BBQs on the roof. This one off the west coast of Scotland we were buzzed by two crab Tornadoes. On their second pass they were saluted by a few submariners mighty white bare arses.

Witsend

I met a submariner not long ago who spun me a dit about having erected a swimming pool on top of his.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
soleil said:
witsend said:
I've had a few BBQs on the roof. This one off the west coast of Scotland we were buzzed by two crab Tornadoes. On their second pass they were saluted by a few submariners mighty white bare arses.

Witsend

I met a submariner not long ago who spun me a dit about having erected a swimming pool on top of his.

Never heard that dit before soleil, but I suppose they took a paddling pool to sea with them. We use to have hands to bathe, but I think the H&S culture has stuck fear into CO's, hence I have'nt seen a hands to bathe for a few years.

Rem3pt

MIA
SONAR-BENDER said:
[quote="PolycellDisadvantages well !! No bronzy time on the bridge roof, sitting on the upper deck after supper and spinning a dit, no nine o'clockers or there wasn't on O boats, having yer crabs treated by the Grocer instead of a blond skirt wearing scablifter!

BOLLARDS!!!!

On entering San Fran, the Elmers asked why I was sunburned!! We had spent the previous weekend on the roof and, there is space for 8 potential sun bronzed gods to sit around the radar well, with a queue in the control room!

Plus, if I could ever figure out how to upload piccies, I could supply some of BBQs on the roof. I use one of them to play 'Guess the Skipper' - he was the one in the VERY loud shirt. :lol: :lol:[/quote]

http://imageshack.us/

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
soleil said:
witsend said:

Witsend

I have seen photos of that,it was a canvas sheet between the foreplanes filled with sea water,it was on a diesel boat, dont know which one. must have taken some fillig with buckets! foreplanes on diesel boats could be turned in.

soleil

War Hero
BARNEYRNSM said:
soleil said:
Witsend

I have seen photos of that,it was a canvas sheet between the foreplanes filled with sea water,it was on a diesel boat, dont know which one. must have taken some fillig with buckets! foreplanes on diesel boats could be turned in.

Barney

I'm so grateful to you for saying that! What you have said about a canvas sheet between the foreplanes being filled with sea water, it being possible to turn in the foreplanes on a diesel boat, is exactly what he told me, I just couldn't work out how to put it in words myself and make it sound sensible; you did, though.

It was a diesel boat; he told me which one, too. Just wish I could remember ...........

Polto

War Hero
BARNEYRNSM said:
soleil said:
witsend said:

Witsend

Olympus en route to the Falklands...I think there's a piccy in DieselWeasel...

soleil

War Hero
Polto said:
BARNEYRNSM said:
soleil said:
witsend said:

Witsend

Olympus en route to the Falklands...I think there's a piccy in DieselWeasel...

Thank you, Polto.

http://www.dieselweasel.co.uk/foto_013.html

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Fading memory but I'm sure that I've seen something rigged in the foreward escape hatch well on a O boat.

Normal routine in places sunny was hands to bathe with ropes rigged along the ballast tanks to assist climbing out again.

Alaric 64/65?

Well remembered is the pipe "Signalman on the bridge with the Bren Gun" As Signalman at the time this took me somewhat by suprise, however having been handed the Bren I clambered upstairs, no an esay task. Come on Signalman I'm waiting to pipe hands to bathe" says the Captain.

"What do you want me to do with this? says I, indicating the Bren. "Shoot at any sharks " says himself, not unreasonably I'm somewhat concerned about this, though its true to say the lads on the casing were looking more nervous.

"Why Me?" was my somewhat anxious query.

"You're the Signalman, therefore you must have the best eyesight onboard" was the confident reply.

I mounted the gun and hands to bathe was piped, there was some reluctance shown by the bathers to enter the water which I found quite insulting, till I remembered that they weren't to know that I had been a Sgt in the Army Cadets some 5 years previously.

Eventually after a number of threats from the Skipper, who obviously had no intention of entering the oggin himself, the hands started leaping in.

After a few minutes I noticed a fin a little way off and reported it, "Don't tell me." says himself, "Shoot at it." Apparantly after the first three round burst the water was cleared before the echo died away, reportedly no one used the ropes but several were seen to run up the tanks. I of course was still shooting at the shark, which was getting closer.

It came right up and under the boat, by this time the casing was completly cleared of all hands. To our untrained eyes it was decided that it was a basking shark, for some reason no one wanted to go back into the water. The breed of shark was apparantly confirmed when it refused to take the leg of pork attached to a grapnel hook and heaving line being used by the Engineer Officer and one of his trusty Stokers who tried to catch it for tea. What the hell the two of them would have done if it had taken the bait would have been interesting.