About the Submarine Service.

FunkyJunky

War Hero
Joe_Crow said:
Focus_343 said:
... is there truth in that, or is it just something they say at the AFCO?

They tend not to tell too many lies.

The only branch where you will get quick promotion to Leading Hand as a matter of course (at the moment) is MA(SM), where the lure of early promotion is being used as a recruiting tool. (Not the way I would do it, but it's not my branch.)

you are probably right..however, the service is awash with people who say "the careers office said I could do......."

whether that is accurate or not is another matter...

FunkyJunky

War Hero
food can be good..but nothing special..
discipline...fleet boats are turning into their grey counterparts more so every day it seems...
it all depends on what sub you get...some have bad reps some are known to be pretty good..

what determins this can be key senior rates and a good XO

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
StixJimboRM said:
FunkyJunky said:
Joe_Crow said:
Focus_343 said:
... is there truth in that, or is it just something they say at the AFCO?

They tend not to tell too many lies.

The only branch where you will get quick promotion to Leading Hand as a matter of course (at the moment) is MA(SM), where the lure of early promotion is being used as a recruiting tool. (Not the way I would do it, but it's not my branch.)

you are probably right..however, the service is awash with people who say "the careers office said I could do......."

whether that is accurate or not is another matter...

I think in 99.9% of cases this is a bit of wishful thinking on the part of the individual ... it may be that they THINK thats what they were told

When I was a DO to the Phase 2 submariners I heard that on a daily basis, normally when they found they couldn't do what they wanted to.

shaddythers

Badgeman
Focus_343 said:
I probably should have been more specific, thanks for pointing that out Drakey
I just mean, in general, you hear all these dits and I just wanted some real submariners (because we don't have any at my unit) to clear it up for me, stuff like -
Is it true that food on submarines is better?
Or that discipline and uniform standards are relaxed on submarines?
[/b

First point - I Think so.

Second point - only when we're dived, exact same rules apply for uniform whn alongside, much to the chagrin of some people!

Focus_343

Thanks for answering my questions, but WreckerL said

"When I was a DO to the Phase 2 submariners I heard that on a daily basis, normally when they found they couldn't do what they wanted to."

Are jobs on submarines limited?

Focus_343

"Of course they are, only selected people get to work on the flight deck, for security reasons; bridge wing lookout is a job that is hard to come by; window cleaners have a limited run too as well as outside chippers and painters"

Am I being stitched up?

Focus_343 said:
"Of course they are, only selected people get to work on the flight deck, for security reasons; bridge wing lookout is a job that is hard to come by; window cleaners have a limited run too as well as outside chippers and painters"

Am I being stitched up?

As a 'reservist' its better that you don't know the answer to that.

Focus_343

There's nothing wrong with reservists.

We're the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are qualified to do anything with nothing

you know, just like any other matelots. :)

Focus_343 said:
There's nothing wrong with reservists.

We're the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are qualified to do anything with nothing

you know, just like any other matelots. :)

Focus (Wot! ALL of us?? - Sorry, that triggered an old response from way back... :oops: )

So, as a Reservist - for which we are ever grateful - perhaps you should know when you are being stitched up? :wink:

Focus_343

I know when I'm being stitched up, I'm a sprog, I'm used to it :)
I was trying to be ironic, but it's hard to do that on a forum.
Have you got any interesting dits about life in the submarine service?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Focus_343 said:
Thanks for answering my questions, but WreckerL said

"When I was a DO to the Phase 2 submariners I heard that on a daily basis, normally when they found they couldn't do what they wanted to."

Are jobs on submarines limited?

Yes, there's only room for about 120 people so make sure your at the front of the line on the jetty.

What I meant in the original post is people wanting to branch change, go GS etc and saying that "but the AFCO said" after they'd been told to FRO.