Aboard

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by prickles, Apr 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This may seem a daft question but can people tell me what life is like aboard a ship? Like the food, the time when you're not "meant" to be on duty etc
    Cheers

2. Oh Dear me...............................................................................................................................................................................................

3. Hard tack and mouldy cheese...TIME OFF you're havin' a laugh!! Do some skrimshaw or Holystone that deck yer swab!

Food is 'good' (some like it some don't), Pay as you Dine has (If you eat you pay, rather than a specific amount for food being taken out of your pay) it's critics but I would challenge anyone to get 3 meals a day for the cost.
    If you're not on watch or duty time is spent preparing kit for next day and then doing what you want, within reason.
    NZB

Edited by me to prevent tantrum.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's like 'Big Brother'. Except everything is grey... :roll:

5. since the introduction of self painting ships,stay clean toilets and instant shine floors not a lot or am i dreaming.

6. On our ship, we had personal time from 23:59:30 until 24:00:00.

Food depended on the sea state. If it was higher than 7 you didn't care about food as it was only rented space then.

Now, I did have the pleasure of serving with an old salt CPO, who never took any personal time until one NATO where the PTB forced him to use up his accumulated leave. Since the ship was at sea, he was "informed" that during his leave period he was to wear civvies and not be seen doing any work. To oblige (and to make a point), he got out a lawn chair, placed it on the quarter deck and chalked a white line around him. No one in work dress was allowed to cross into his "vacation spot". He sat there during the day until we pulled into to Sicily.

That's about the only time I actually saw anyone take time off during a cruise.

ETA: Google is your friend, so is search, and the RN web site

7. Prickles,

We're not allowed to say.

Jerry

8. Christ. No one actually capable of giving a sensible answer then?

Prickles - assuming you're talking about domestics rather than actual programme you can expect:

Share a mess (living space) with about 30 others comprising bunks three high around the back and a small mess square area with TV, fridge, etc.
    Allowed two large / three small tins of beer a day.
    Communal showers and toilets.
    Meals taken together, often queued for.
    Food is generally of a good quality despite what the dissenters will say. These days it is good.
    Keep fit opportunities available in the form of CV equipment.
    Fitness Circuit Training daily (mostly) to keep fit.
    Occasional Film nights and flight deck BBQs.
    working day generally 0800 to 1200 and 1315 to 1600 but you can expect to do more depending on your branch and whether you are keeping watches (shift work).
    Hard work and some foreign runs ashore (nights out).
    Lots of mates, always someone looking out for you.

A lot depends on your trade (branch), the size of the ship and it's tasking / location.

You probably need to ask slightly more specific questions if you want more detailed information.

SF

9. sgtpepperband

Which is probably why a 'sensible' answer was not elicited. :roll:

10. Fair one SPB.

SF

11. What's is it like for aircrew when deployed on a ship?

12. Same as it is when they are based ashore, sat on their arse most of the time.

13. sgtpepperband

Great. If you like sunbathing. And sleeping. And sleeping in the sun. And sunbathing when you're asleep.

But apart from that, it's hard work... :relax:

14. They tend to work long hours and keep their own routines. There are perks though and they are well looked after.

SF

15. Welcome Newby! :) Nobody seems to have mentioned polishing boots, dhobeying kit, ironing duvet covers, cleaning out the heads with their oppos toothbrush........ ;)

BZ Sarge! :biggrin:

PERSEC!!!!! InstaDecks (self-scrubbing/polishing), staybrite heads and autopaint will all be coming with the new biodegradable plastic war canoes! ;) starting with HMS Disintegrate! ;)

iPods have been BANNED since the Iranians nicked one off a matelot...

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I don't always agree with Hig, however.... :thumright:

17. Ok,i would love to tell you but having only spent one afternoon and a few other hours on a ship i havent a clue.Yes,its all grey and not many windows to peek out of.However ashore in RNH HAslar the scran was very good,nowt like sh*it on a raft and a full english after a tough night duty.As or free time we worked shifts so at 1300 after an 0800 start,it was repair to the galley then down to the bar to research the effects of ethanol on the human body,a wee kip till 1800,scran time,RV down the bar again till 2300,thense through the perimiter fence to the oggy waggon outside Dolphin for a triple bacon dog burger.Back to cabin,sleep till 1200,galley,turn to on the ward unrill 2000,then 2005 down the bar till 2300,then oggy van run and around it goes.Not that its of any use as some cretin has shut Haslar down!

18. I'm surprised no one has suggested he watch "Sailor" or "Warship".

19. Why don't you watch Sailor or Warship?

What?

Hmm, I haven't quite got the hang of this have I..... :dwarf:

20. Maybe he's not into sailor spotting and identifying ships? ;)

What he needs to watch is something authentic, like the Hornblower series!