Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Able to transfer/ move to another common wealth force?

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
Just throwing this out there:

Once trained in your branch and a few years behind you, could a Brit apply for Aussie or NZ navy? I've heard you can't transfer you may have to leave then apply? Also is a Naval Airman Aircraft Handler able to transfer as a Firefighter/ Airport firefighter or other role overseas?
My main focus is a great career in the Navy and travel, but spending nearly 3 years in Aus it's a personal dream and goal to migrate back there later down the line.
Is this doable in my chosen branch?
Cheers guys any info appreciated

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
There are sometimes opportunities to get involved in an exchange programme with Commonwealth country Navies (Exercise Longlook being one example - 2 years in Oz).

There is no established transfer mechanism, so you'd normally have to complete your return of service (RoS) and submit notice to quit whilst applying to join another service simultaneously to match your leave/entry dates as best possible.

One word of caution with regard Aircraft Handler - they are predominantly employed afloat on aircraft carriers and assault ships (sometimes frigates/destroyers in the RN, but not often). If you look at Commonwealth Navies, there aren't many aircraft carriers and assault ships so I'd guess (emphasis on "guess") there aren't many Aircraft Handler roles/billets available for the exchange scheme.

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for the info!

Good point I was thinking/ hoping they would have a couple of large carriers but I haven't done my research into that, or was hoping I could possibly transfer to an Air station over there. I have seriously considered an Engineering role instead as my AFCO said I scored quite well on the RT but it's the Firefighting aspect what is keeping me with the AH branch. It's another dream job since I was a kid, hopefully should be transferable too. Heard handlers can get some good drafts in hot places I'm hoping this is true.
America is another place in mind to migrate in the future, Florida maybe, anywhere with a work - life balance as good as Aus is what I'm aiming for. No Yorkshire Vicky pollards to be seen. Thanks for the information appreciate it

Chalk_bosun

Lantern Swinger
Everyone on a ship has to train in fire fighting, so don't let that be the sole determinant of your choice of branch.

The RAF has a dedicated firefighting branch, but I can't speak for the quality of their 'deployments'.

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
Yep they do, but not as much there not fully trained as much as handlers and getting the NVQ's in firefighting/ crash rescue. I believe all ratings get trained in basic fire training incase there is a break out on board.
But not doing the job full time or to the extent on which the handlers do as this is mainly there job on air stations at culdrose etc. Unless drafted on a ship.
Looked into the RAF and army but I'm more keen on the Navy I have family in the Marines and they love it.
Also tried applying for civvie firefighting and on with 2 separate county applications.
Hoping the Navy is the way to go and DOES have the firefighting side I was told I'd be doing and the qualifications.
But we'll see mate there's so many different opinions on here it's hard to know what's to expect

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The last branch brief I went to (a year back), the Aircraft Handler Branch Manager stated that the days of aircraft handlers spending most of their careers drafted to an air station working in a fire station are definitely on the way out.

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
So in an honest opinion, is it mainly just the aircraft handling duties these days and no firefighting? Because although that may be good fun as a career I'm thinking more of when I decide to leave and firefighting is the main reason I chose this branch as my AFCO said it's a big aspect of my job and many handlers leave to be firefighters? If this isn't true or I won't have the qualifications to transfer back to Aus later down the line ( with firefighting NVQ's etc ) then I will seriously assess making a change now

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
Looking into Mine clearance divers but on another thread it looks like the waiting time has jumped up to 3 years from what he's saying. Also thought about the marines a lot but again I may love this as a temp job but for a career or transferable skills I'm not so sure.
unless I still stick as a Handler and gain other qualifications from the mob on the side as I go.
God knows we shall see I'll do more research

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Aircraft Handlers do train as an aircraft firefighter, but as the job title indicates firefighting is not the only thing they do. Civilian firefighters actually spend more time cutting people out of smashed-up cars than actually fighting fires. Thankfully, our aircraft don't catch fire that regularly either.

Everyone in the Royal Navy undergoes ship firefighting training as few of us spend an entire career without a whiff of smoke on a ship.

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
Yeah your right. Well if I do carry on as a Handler I hope there are options to pick up other qualifications / tickets to get back to Aus or NZ later down the line if I can't transfer as a Handler.
I will drink the rest of this bottle of captain morgans spice and access my life options :eek:;)
Cheers

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for that :cool::)
The pay and lifestyle in Aus is awesome.
Basic pay after training over there is a comfortable amount id be happy with that.
This could maybe be a transferable option then later down the line, happy days.

NateDogg

Lantern Swinger
I think everybody has different goals and ambitions to fill with the navy, I'm hoping to get the full career too and get that pension then enjoy rest of my days in Aussie land, or possibly transfer earlier anywhere with better weather and lifestyle than the UK, we shall see.
Just was getting a little worried I'd like to use my skills and quals I gain to get me sponsored over seas when my time is up

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Ensuring UNMiK is able to meet Kosovo’s current needs MoD News 0
J Likelyhood of being able to switch roles Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Dusty70 Anyone able to see if BNM and Stirlin are OK ?? Nearest & Dearest 6
MoD_RSS Pension Credit claimants now able to apply online MoD News 0
M Holiday booked will I still be able to go if I start my navy application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
P Still be able to join? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Stirlin RFA Able Seaman's will to live. RFA 0
MoD_RSS More victims able to challenge ‘unduly lenient’ prison sentences MoD News 0
J Able Cadet Advancement SCC and URNU 5
MoD_RSS News story: Afghan interpreters to be able to bring their family to the UK MoD News 0
NateDogg Aircraft Handler able to train for green lid? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
A How much should I be able to squat? Health & Fitness 5
AC.C Able Cadet > Leading Cadet > Petty Officer Cadet? SCC and URNU 20
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
BillyNoMates Able Seaman William George Wallis - HMS EDINBURGH 1942 History 6
R How long from able rate to Leading hand Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
soleil Pompey News: "Computer Tests Prove RN Carriers Will Be Able To Fit In Pompey Harbour" Bases / Shore Est 0
R ABLE, MARL and new 3 BRNC terms Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 75
T Victory! You will be able to wear your PJM Current Affairs 25
T Hi , is anybody able to give me any help on this ?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
chipaz still able to stay in after transplant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Klanga Still no help from OCLO. Anyone else able to? Submariners 4
O Culdrose - Am I able to use gym facilities Bases / Shore Est 16
jesse Your dads, uncles and granddads may be able to help? The Quarterdeck 0
T Bullying: Should teachers be able to opt out of stopping? Diamond Lil's 11
McGrew Any buntings able to answer this piece of trivia? The Fleet 4
OldJenny Able Seaman Simon HMS Amethyst History 5
W Will I still be able to join if I'm charged with ABH? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Shakey Exercise Able Archer History 6
A Transfer from RM to RN MoD News 2
F Joining RNR/RMR - Potential Transfer Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
W Branch Transfer UPO/Careers Office 3
MoD_RSS MPs to transfer sanctions power to independent panel MoD News 0
A Aircrew branch transfer UPO/Careers Office 37
MoD_RSS Bank of England consent to transfer of authorisation to issue Northern Irish banknotes MoD News 0
M MN to RN transfer Joining the Royal Navy 10
A Quickest way to transfer to Regulars? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS NDA completes transfer of plutonium from Dounreay MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your Learning Map to transfer to GOV.UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD’s advice helped people on TUPE transfer MoD News 0
R Transfer from RM to Navy Diver UPO/Careers Office 3
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determinations: West Kensington and Gibbs Green Estates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determination: Cressingham Gardens Estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister announces new transfer option for mortgage interest support MoD News 0
rabbutler1985 PO GS to transfer to SM either as SNCO or Officer Submariners 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister announces new transfer option for mortgage interest support MoD News 0
1 Lateral transfer into the RN; possible? What if trained in RN? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS News story: Winfrith land transfer secures £1.7 million savings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF medics transfer UN hospital in South Sudan to Vietnamese MoD News 0