ABLE, MARL and new 3 BRNC terms

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ratcatcher, Nov 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone point me in the right direction to find out information on ABLE and MARL?
    So far all I know is ABLE is a land based command exercise and MARL is the maritime equivalent. I tried a search and have seen the question raised in BRNC thread, but before the question was answered it went off on a tangent.

Also mentioned briefly is the new 3 term system at BRNC, but I thought it would be good to gather all the information under a new thread so it is easier to search.

As always, any and all info will be gratefully received.

Cheers

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It is as it says on the tin. All will be revealed at the college as and when you get there.

In the mean time try this.. ABLE takes place in Term 1

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

You dont need to know anything beyond what you already know. You'll be told what you need to know when the RN judges that you need to know it.

4. Or, it's just like it was 10 years ago; the first half of the first term builds up to ABLE, ABLE is 3 days of PLTs, plus being cold, wet and tired. It's not that hard to be honest. Second half of the first term a) lets your feet recover and b) concentrates on more 'Officer-like' stuff. Terms 2 and 3 are more study, plus MARL, which is a week or so of messing around in boats, whilst be cold, wet and tired.

Of course, I could be completely and utterly wrong, but I suspect there's not a lot new in it all. At the end of the day, BRNC is a hoop to jump through, and knowing what happens in minute detail will offer no advantage what so ever. Just go with the flow, have fun, and remember life in the Fleet is much better.

5. New Training at BRNC fm Feb 2012:
    There will be 4 intakes per year in Feb, May, Sep and Nov. The first 10 week term is the Militarisation phase, the second 10 week term is the Marinisation phase and the final 10 week term includes 8 weeks of Initial Fleet Time plus a week for Fleet Board then a week leading to your Passing Out.
    The various exercises conducted during the first two terms remain similar to the current system and information can be found in the archived "old" RN website, as directed by Silverfox earlier in the thread.
    I would advise being familiar with this new "concept" if attending AIB or SIFT Interview from now on.

6. They don't want you to know too much - I mean how else can back phasers, seniors and assorted others scare you with completely made up tales about Frantic Friday, ABLE, AILE, MARL, IFT and everything else.

7. Thanks Talking Baggage, that was the answer I was looking for. To the others thanks for the advice, I appreciate I will find out on the day, but my ACLO suggested that finding out about the new setup would be a good idea for AIB.

8. Was interested to read this is I was doing some pre-AIB research on the advice of my ACLO too. He advised that I find out the meaning of a variety of acronyms, and I was struggling to work out what MARL stood for; Maritime leadership of some sort I'm guessing! I managed to learn about BSSC and ABLE whilst in the URNU.

9. Maritime Assessed Realistic Leadership I believe

It does seem this new structure is a more logical way of organising the course. You have one term each for 'Militarisation', 'Marinisation' and IFT and Fleet Board.

10. Hi guys,

I've just been told that I am on the February intake at BRNC.

I have only just become aware that there are now three terms instead of two.

Does anyone know when Marl takes place, is it in the marinisation term or similar to the old system with it being after IFT?

11. Point 1 - in the mob everything has to have an abbreviation, regardless of how tortuous/senseless it it. MARL, when it was invented, meant MARitime Leadership. Nothing else. Any further developments are a retrofit/post rationalisation, not what it means. Having done it, god knows what it meant anyway - pretty much a week off as I remember.

2nd point on "logic." No, it's a ball of chalk. Admittedly I haven't seen the plans in detail, but unless it is really genuinely radically different to any of the many other attempts to reinvent the BRNC wheel in the last 15 years or so, it is probably just rearranging the deckchairs of an inherently flawed system.

I realise it's easy for me to say this, because I don't have to come up with the answers, but, frankly, I think it's fair comment. The last time the system just about worked properly was before the introduction of multiple entry in 2003. Admittedly, that's when I went through it, but even that wasn't perfect so I'm not claiming that even that was a golden age... In any case.

BRNC, as many have said, is a 5th rate public school where the CCF has got slightly out of control. That's probably why I liked it to be honest, all the boatwork you can eat and two afternoons a week off to go beagling.

More seriously, I do genuinely think (and I mean this), culturally the RN, and Dartmouth in particular) has never got over not taking in the majority of its officers at 13. Given that no one in the fleet now (obviously) joined at 13 I don't know why this should be so, but I think it's true. More worryingly, you can read We Joined The Navy, published in the 1950s, and it's still a primer for survival at BRNC - at least it was 10 years ago, and I see no reason why it should have changed....

12. One other point - a term for IFT - including 8 WEEKS IFT and Fleet Board??? I realise that you can only go with the system you're given, but that is a merger of 6 weeks IST (used to be term 2), and, according to the dates in my task book, 4 MONTHS CFT... I knew they'd smashed some things about a couple of years ago, but ye Gods...

Do Dabbers now have to go back for a term after IFT, because otherwise that's 13 weeks of academics out of the window as well?

13. There used to be IWOF (old academics phase with R&T, Strat Studies etc), for 14 weeks, before heading out to the big bad fleet. The lack of CFT has been dealt with by each branch introducing longer SFT periods: Dabbers have to do about 1000 hours (takes about 8 months), the WEs have JWEO (read CFT) and AWEO (SFT(WE)), the Binmen still have AMEOs, but it includes a bit more time, the Pussers are ALOs for a period (which includes a whole-ship section).

All that has happened is the burden has moved from BRNC to the Phase 2 establishments and the ships. Plus ca change.....

14. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

Major changes, for reasons various but mainly £££s and the lack thereof. There will be 4 setpiece exercises during the militarisation (first 10 weeks) and the Marinisation (second 10 weeks) as follows:

Basic Leadership Development (BLD) - a 'developmental' exercise set in Okehampton Battle Camp, Dartmoor and the College grounds. Its aim is to get cadets settled into basic leadership, planning, orders and the field. There will be a larger fieldcraft component as a result of the Hutton report - BRNC cadets doing pairs fire and manouver and all that good stuff.

Assessed Basic Leadership Exercise (ABLE) - same as it ever was, because it works whether it's called ABLE, ACE or PLX. No major changes, same PLTs which we would all remember. A field exercise on Dartmoor with assessed PLTs during the day and variouis capers overnight. It is still hardcore, especially as it still takes place very early on in their time at the College. The Xmas term 2011's ABLE was notably grim in terms of weather, but often cadets fail to help themselves by not applying the training given by the Leadership Academy.

Maritime Leadership Development (MLD) - basically the same idea behind BLD, but for MARL - a developmental exercise so that the cadets practice everything they will apply on exercise. The college is aware that the levels of prep in the past have varied, so MLD will standardise and eliminate a lot of unknowns, hopefully.

Maritime Leadership (MARL) - a week on the Dart simulating a Maritime Task Group (using Picket Boats and Whalers - there is a lot of thought going into how to make this a little more realistic - more blank ammo and the projected PB replacement for starters. I voted for CB 90s. Motion not carried) via assessed maritime tasks.

That's really all you need to know at this stage - a lot of the comments here are right on. Do not obsess about the fine detail at BRNC, just be as informed as you can about the RN and services in general, and be as fit as you can. Be as fit as you can - you'll need all the resilience you can muster for ABLE. The fitter people on average sustain fewer injuries as their systems have been toughened up. Comfortably exceed all fitness minimums - during fitness tests, stage fright tends to affect performance and our standards are so rudimentary in comparison to our sister services that it is a point of pride to be well over the threshold.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wow.

I'd have quite enjoyed all that to be honest (although I did manage to get 4 years in before I even touched anything smaller than a GAMBO...).

I'm sure I remember a review from the late 90s though that did away with all that sort of stuff last time around because, roughly paraphrased, "BRNC isn't Sandhurst and we're not here to produce half trained infantry officers"

As a result we ended up with the joke that was Fisher Hall in the early 2000s (very expensive joke mind)....

I love it when BRNC goes on a "we're too fluffy, better militarise things up a bit kick", because they tend to go too far the other way. When I joined in 2002 there was very much a new broom which saw New Entry standing rounds every night for the first 7 weeks. Nothing wrong with that, apparently they'd not had to do it that frequently before. It was more the fact that they were done by half cut ADOs.... I saw wardrobes being kicked over, irons going through windows, having to dry the inside of taps and dust inside strip light fittings, the lot.

The best was when the edict came down from on high that everyone in Cunningham New Entry had to have the same number of shirts hanging in their wardrobe for CSO's rounds. Slight laundry cock up meant 70 people had to hide at least one shirt in a car, or INDOM's mess deck, because 4 people were one down... Oddly enough, the term that followed mine did have things a lot more chilled again - and they didn't have to carry the growler on ACE.

There really is nothing new under the sun is there?

16. Do better. Immediately. :D

17. It's because those making the decisions hark back to how it was when they were at BRNC - simples!

18. Just to add another quickie on the end of this thread - what is fleet board? I asked the same question on a previous thread, but it was glossed over and things moved on.

19. You used to sit before a CO, and 2 Cdrs/Lt Cdrs at the end of your CFT and you were examined on everything you learned. There was also a series of exams to sit.

There was a board at the end of IST as well, again testing your knowledge on your 6 weeks.

20. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Why oh why does a naval cadet need to learn field craft? Why? May be I am old and grumpy but there are more fitting maritime ways to train leadership, we are not army officers. Too much is Joint spelt LAND pronounced Army. The average career path will not see the majority of these officers needing these skills till at least the 4 year point.

And in case you think I am some old git I have done my time ashore running around and being steely in green.