Abbreviations!

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Borman, May 25, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I'm currently ploughing my task book, and have some questions on abbreviations that I've never heard of wondered if anyone out there could help us out! I've listed them below.

CTT
    CACREX
    MMSFEX
    SSD
    SCXA
    WPM
    ORM
    ORS
    WASB
    HTAS
    DFA
    DCO

Cheers Shippers!

2. what branch are you? Some abbreviations could mean different things.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome.

If you are at Collingwood & still in training then you would normally start your taskbook when you get your first ship.

One can only assume you have yet to set foot on a ship yet as many of those abbreviations would be painfully apparent. Not much point telling you what they stand for if you don't know what they actually mean in the context of your branch and your position within the watch and station bill. Keen is good, but it's best to walk before you run.

Good luck.

4. SCXA = South Coast exercise area
    ORM = Ops Room Manager
    ORD = Ops Room Supervisor
    HTAS = Hands to Harbour Stations
    DCO = Damage Control Officer
    I'm guessing you're a dabber?

5. HTAS - Hands To Action Stations

6. 'ands to 'arbour stations?

I'm guessing you're a Northerner ;P

• Like Like x 5
  7. Answers in the quote.

8. Being an old fart, what is a task book.

9. Ninja_Stoker

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the most well known & impossibly long Naval abbreviation, known to all:

HOOTROTDCOTUDCASDAHACBRNS3CYHTHSSSDCU.

10. Did you nick that from my ARRSE post?!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Nope, which one of your 2,570 arse posts was that Alf?

• Like Like x 1
  12. HBM

OWB

Most used on the harrier circuit

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

13. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

I've only ever seen that with HTHS at the start instead of near the end.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

14. It's a book of tasks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I blame the snorker paws and RTFQ!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. CACREX. Command And ContRol Excercise. It's a WE thing mainly to check radar etc normally against an associated air asset.

17. Ninja_Stoker

If you've only served on the one ship, this is entirely feasible as the sequence, content and timings can be staggered rather than implemented in one instance.

I've seen the sequence varied many times with SSDs piped well after HTHS and twitchy Commanding Officers pipe 3Y after spotting a ship on the radar plot.

Best of all are ships closing-up to Action Stations or shifting into AWD unnecessarily. I well remember wearing full AWD on Armilla for a RAS and watching the RFA crew wearing shorts & teeshirts. 12 hours later all hell broke loose when the US shot down a civilian airliner.

On the other hand - Sheffield in 1982 was in defence watches with half the ships company in bed during in "relaxed" 2Y during the "working day" when a missile slammed into it.

18. HTHS and SSDs are an interesting mix.

Technically, "Harbour Stations" means the dabbers getting the ropes and wires ready to come alongside. If this is a long job, then it could be easily done before "Special Sea Dutymen". On the other hand, Specials is required when you're placing the ship in navigationally constrained or dangerous waters, typically meaning you need to be ready for a collision or grounding quite quickly, hence the people ready and in place for a machy breakdown or immediate slip of the anchor: a long pilotage might mean you need those people well before you're going to require ropes and wires handled.

<swings lamp> The pilotage into Bermuda takes forever (you go 2/3rds of the way around the island dodging reefs), but the coming alongside is a piece of piss. Hence, SSDs for about 4 hours and Harbour Stations for all of 30 minutes.

And now I'll stop doing my Ops/Mate of the Upper Deck bit.....

19. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Ninja, guess that carriers all use the same routine. I have a few years on them. RFAs don't seem to bother and I cannot remember what the Ocean does.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

20. Ninja_Stoker

You let me down, I was after a bite.;-P