Discussion in 'History' started by bills_girl, May 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With a lot of trawling of the internet and help from some earlier postings on this site, i have managed to interpret a lot of the abbreviations on my late father's naval record, but the following elude me - help please!

Exams - P.P.T this one from the month he joined so some sort of entry exam?, E.T.I - he passed ths in 1952 so had been in navy 5 years by then?
    Also - what did the AB Education Test involve?

RP3 - am I right in thinking this meant he was a radar operator or something similar?

His rating went from Ordinary Seaman to AB and then AB(C) - what was the latter?

many thanks
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

ET1 = Educational Test 1, from distant memory I took mine during basic training.

RP3 = Radar Plotter 3rd class, the first rung of the ladder, he would have the spiders web badge with no stars. RP's were part of the Seamens Branch so he would have carried out other duties besides watching the radar
  3. Thank you very much for your help scouse and janner!
  4. PPT was a swimming qualification. I think that it stood for Passed Provisional Test but I am not sure. I am sure that there is a club swinger who will able to confirm or correct.