Abandoned squaddies on TV - Mon 21, 2100

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by persona_non_grata, May 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hoping to watch it , will mention it at work today .
  2. The only time any government has looked after its' returning soldiers half way decently is when there was a threat from those returning.
    The end of the First World War saw a wave of communist revolution sweeping Europe; and that coincided nicely with a lot of measures taken to look after the wellbeing of returning servicemen and women, the Uk government seeing the writing on the wall.
    Soldiers returning from the front had taken enough of the old order and wanted change.
    They proved a powerful force.
  3. looks very interesting, I'm definately going to watch it
  4. The programme looks like it will be worth seeing; shame I'm not going to be around to see it.

What is more shameful though is the continued lack of resources and appropriate medical care for our boys and girls who are sent home for treatment of their wounds. It's almost as if no-one really gives a toss for them - other than those of us who have, or are still serving.

This issue has had enough exposure over recent years to have come to the notice of all politicians and there is no excuse for doing nothing to fix it.

5. How many of the public know about this state of affairs that a returning serviceman/woman has to join the queue with the Saturday night crowd .

Would you please take of your uniform as not to offend anybody.

Was reading about a wounded returning serviceman being attacked by a muslim in hospital. Afraid he would have gone through the first window no Stewart Granger.

I will be watching this and setting the vid
  6. I know me too.
  7. Will be watching. Most people wont know/care becasue it doesnt affect them. Appathy of the masses.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I've just watched the few clips/links attached to the initial thread & felt quite saddened by the treatment of some of those individuals.

It's all too easy to label these people depicted on TV as 'life's professional victims' or 'serial complainers' - I must confess to having done this myself years ago, but over the years I now accept successive governments really have let these people down, it's truly appalling.
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

After the disgraceful post on the Vets Agency website about 'disaffected veterans', don't hold your breath. The post was withdrawn but the VA staff civilian mindset won't have been.
  10. Just read all the comments and links on ARRSE. Wouldn't miss the programme tonight for anything, so I'll watch and record. Reckon this should be BUMPED throughout the day to keep it at the top, just in case anyone misses it!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Jus' following the last order...
  12. I shall be watching it and like many of you, I am totally disgusted with the way all our lads and lasses are treated. Its despicable and rotten to the core.

Best way to get treatment? Say you are an immigrant and have only just landed at Dover or the like. Mention you have never paid any Insurance or TAX and you are laughing. Bitter and twisted? You bet I am. :twisted:
  13. The returning men from the trenches were in reality fobbed of with promises which were never fulfilled. There were a few 'incidents' but they were not coordinated and the authorities were able to control them. Most protesters ended up in jail (at least they were fed and sheltered there) and very few of the grand schemes for resettlement were ever started and few of those that did start ammounted to anything significant. Most of the schemes that actually happened were land deals where local landowners made available smallhldings for local men on their return. The only big government resettlement scheme was the Black and Tans.
  14. BUMP! It's slipping down the order.

15. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Hopefully it'll appear on UKNova in a day or two so that we in the far flung can get to see it too.
  16. Ditto!

17. Just about right it's on BBC2, fair play for the programme but how about putting it on BBC1 in prime time. , or do we not want to interrupt the mindless/oblivious and apathetic hoards clammering over the shite that is BBC evening TV !!