Ab1 / Ab2

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rolling-stone, Jun 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Does anyone know how much the pay increase is going up to AB1 from
    AB2? If anything at all?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  2. Its one pay band if your branch gives you the option to take an AIP and it depends on what band you are to start with.

So in summary its one pay band, maybe.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ratings pay is, frankly a complete cluster & has been since the marvelous invention of Pay 2000, so good that it was never introduced for Officers.

All Rating trainees join as AB2 on £14,349 per annum. This increases to an annual rate of £17,767 after six months service regardless of where you are with regard your branch Standard Initial Training Period (SITP). This pay rise is your Incremental Basic Date (IBD) and all your pay raises incrementally, one pay band on this anniversary. Current rates mean you'll advance to Level 2, a year later. Level 2 on the Lower Pay Band is £18,245, those on the Higher Pay Band increase to £19,113. Level 3 on the Lower is £18,723, on the higher pay band Level 3 is £21,049. This increases for 9 pay increments for AB, assuming you are not promoted with a pay differential of about £5k between higher and lower.

Branches are paid on the higher or lower pay band depending on branch and rate (rank) held. To find out which branch is in which pay band and at what rank, see JSP 754, Chapter 3, Section 2, Annex A: http://www.moneyforce.org.uk/~/medi...NJJiuNAVWfKIktih9sEXmsg&bvm=bv.48293060,d.d2k At AB, there are few on the higher pay band, just Divers & Medical Assistants (and some RM tech trades), if I recall correctly.

The term "AB1" means you have completed SITP & does not, in itself, increase your pay unless the completion of SITP coincides with your IBD.

Just to muddy the waters, around about each April the Armed Forces Pay Review Body (AFPRB) announce the annual cost of living increases (or not). The new incremental scales for each branch at each rate are currently listed here: http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm85/8571/8571.pdf
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Money for old rope.....
  5. Seems much better than my £6 a fortnight after training, but then a good pint was 1/8d, fish and chips 2 bob, thats the only prices I remember.
  6. Rum Ration in *things change over the years* shocker.
  7. Ninja, does the higher rate of pay include specialty/retention/whateverit'scalledthisweek pay or is it placed on top of the higher rate?
  8. No it does not. If you get dive or submarine (retention) pay etc that is added on top of those figures.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. To be honest if you are looking for a job and are concerened about the pay you should think twice, you dont join the mob for the money, that comes later when you go up the shit pile and become a leading hand (killick), then a senoir rate/or officer loads o money!!!!! but you will however be trained and be able to educate yourself as well as making some good mates of the strangest people you would ever meet. My nipper joined up 5 weeks ago and he is in a state of shock but is enjoying being shouted at and getting wet. The mob still has alot to offer young people in this climate of doom and gloom, go for it and good luck .
  10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Did you cut a farthing in half to pay for it or did you have to buy two or multiples thereof or did you mean 1 shilling and 8 pennies?
  11. This was probably true once upon a time. But the navy of today has to be all about the money as there is no other reason to do it. Thats the situation the powers that be have created.
  12. Tubes, pipe down.
    Cheers the rest of you, relevant and informative replies.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  13. The other two branches that offer higher pay bands are Communications Technicians and Logistics (Chef).

SJRM pretty much has answered everything (about par for course for my particular branch) however the issue about AB1 is now down to qualifying on certain criteria. For example, a writer has to complete the initial Operational Performance Standards task book in order to be promoted to AB1, but is entitled to an AIP upon passing phase 2. A WE has to pass a charge board of sorts to qualify for an AIP, but won't see promotion until they've completed a further board to pass for AB1. It differs from branch to branch and the SITP only applies when a rating still hasn't achieved AB1 by that point, whereupon disciplinary proceedings or remedial training will happen - I've seen one rating discharged for failing to achieve the standard expected in a reasonable time frame.

always happy to answer other pay questions if you want (probably one of the few who will do this) but if you have any burning questions, it's worth holding onto some because you'll spend a morning with the writer school learning a few bits about JPA and it's always asking them directly because they will get back to you.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Really chef gets higher pay band? At what rates? If as an AB how the hell is that justified?
  15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Because chefs are ******* important and work harder than most JR's.
  16. Its team work we are all equally important apparently. I don't see how it can be justified over an AB stoker. Those lads do work hard and have a technical job and are only on the lower band.
  17. The move over to ET and losing things like tiffs put paid to AB stokers on the higher pay band. However, that said, if some of the guys actually showed a bit more interest when speaking to the pay band team, then there would be a better chance of stokers being on a higher band right now. Though that could be the fault of the command chain not hammering it into those guys of the importance of the discussion forum.

On the other hand, it could also be due to some jobs not being as responsible as others around the fleet. In my branch, my current and last jobs carried a lot of responsibility but I knew that half a mile down the road, my oppo was doing a tabs out job. In the overall scheme, I don't believe my branch can be justified in being in the upper banding at the AB level.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I wasn't aware AB Chefs & CTs were on the higher band but maybe the JSP 754 I posted at the link above is out of date.

Word is that the "all of one company" pay scheme will be magically re-invented shortly and the monumental cock-up that was Pay 2000 finally filed under G for gash.

My computer must be playing-up as I can`t see a post by SJRM on this thread.
  19. And what does that mean? I have only ever known PAY 2000 does that mean as a higher pay band killick everyone is going to suddenly go to higher pay band? Or more likely I'm about to become a top level killick and not get a pay rise again until I pick up?
  20. my mistake. Posting from Greece really isn't helpful.

in answer to Danny, probably the latter if it costs the mob less.