AACC

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Steveburgess47, Feb 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got a bet with one of our American friends.

Any ex bootnecks out there give me the exact official date the AACC commenced at the CTCRM Lympstone? :wink:

Copied from blogs (original entry) - post comments here.

2. WTF??

3. Sprecken ze Eengleesh?

4. I think he wants to know the date on which the current AACC troop(s) started training...Or doing whatever it is they do.

EDIT: No he wants to know when the all arms commando courses started.

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Do you want to know when the AACC moved to CTCRM? Not including beat ups at Seaton etc?

6. Don't think my husbands going to appreciate me using his site like this, however.
    I have a friend who is married to a U.S. Marine...He thinks he knows everything! Steve's away at the moment and an argument started the other night where Bob (the U.S. Marine) claimed that any of the Royal Marines he'd ever met hadn't a clue about their own history. As Steve isn't here to defend himself and being the proud wife of an ex Boot neck I stood my ground when he questioned me over when the Royal Marines at CTCRM had first started the AACC. He claims they have a similar course in the States and theirs was first..you know the usual thing!!!!
    But yes! What year did CTCRM first start using AACC at Lympstone?

Zena.

7. wet_blobby

Jeez, I have farts that have lingered longer than the existence of the USMC. I will get back to you on this but I'm not in the UK. If no one answers before me check in about 12 hours and it'll be done.

8. Ah, now I get it! It was 1942 I believe, to provide RN Commandos for raids on Dieppe? I may be wrong.....

9. VictorG alert perhaps?
    The USMC had a course similar to the AACC? Then why do USMC Ranks Seconded to the Royal Marines (As Platoon Weapons Instructors for example) have to undergo the RM AACC? Is their course crap or does it not really exist? They do have Force Reccon (Or some such 'SF' Troops) could your USMC buddy be mixing them up?
    Septics spouting bullshoite? Never!

10. wet_blobby

Your Amercan friend hasn't asked you the easiest of questions.

What is now known as CTCRM and indeed Commando training has a somewhat potted history.

Royal Marines used to train all recruits in there respective naval "divisions" RM training was first centralised at the RM depot in Deal in 1861 however Marines had been stationed at Deal since 1665 ( a mere 110 years before the USMC was born).

Lympstone was first used for training on 22 February 1940, it was however in a slightly different spot to the present day camp and was known as Exton camp but the two can be regarded as the same. ( Dalditch camp on woodbury common was also used for training ) It was known as Royal marine special reserve (Exton). The name, "The depot RM Lympstone" was first used on 5th sept 1941.

Commando training is another story.

Prior to the famous Achnacarry training ground an area around Clyde was used, notably the grounds of kellburn estate and the area around Inverary.

After WW2 Commando training was centred around Bickliegh in Devon (now home to 42 Cdo) The Commando school was moved to Lympstone in June 1960 when 42 Cdo needed bickliegh for it's new home.

11. Corps pissed or what? 8O :D

12. wet_blobby

Damn right, now off to practice the long lost art of bed blocks.

13. Corps history test next visit. Standby! :twisted:
    Subjects to be covered.
    Oakhampton and the Corps.
    Service numbers and their evolution.
    Wearing the Poppy when in rig.
    The Globe and Laurel notices pages 1948-1999.

14. wet_blobby

That's unfair, you bimbled off (ok staggered) the time before last clutching my last two copies of the globe and buster..... :cry:

15. Just tell the yank he hasn't got that much history to remember. Bit more difficult for us to remember as we have a history.

Whilst the US is trying to conquer the world, we have the tee shirt and handed it back.

16. Managed a to speak with Steve last night for 6 mins. He laughed when I told him you guys had been helping me out. He's an ex M&AW Cadre, an ML2. Not a clue what that means but he says that comparing US Marines to Royal, or Real Marines, is like comparing chicken on a raft to a full steak meal with all the trims.

Many thanks for all your help. :D

17. ML2. Likes his climbing, skiing and beasting novices up and down hills then!!! 8O 8O