A WW2 Jolly Roger

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Seaweed, Jun 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Antiques Roadshow came to the RM Museum at Eastney today. One old boy produced a WW2 submarine's Jolly Roger - I dared not leave my queue to ask him about it or what boat, but he was later filmed for the show, so keep an eye open.

On the black flag as well was the skull and crossbones centre piece were:

In the top canton next the hoist, three bars for ships sunk. In the fly crossed guns set about with eight stars for gun actions. Below the crossbones, two daggers for (I imagine) landing agents or sabotage.

All the additions were in white but I suppose they may once have been red, but have now faded.

a.m. a Typhoon flew over at (guess) 5000', maybe it was off to bomb the Frogs. First one I've seen. On the ground, several VERY strange looking people. Some v smart retired Booties among the stewards, one looked old enough to be Hannah Snell's toyboy but I wouldn't want Blobbs to be jealous.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, sounds like Pompey.

• Like Like x 1
  3. We're they hopping in one foot checking the soles of their shoes?

4. Jolly Rodger could be one of several boats that would get that sort of action probably far east though with the gun actions. and sneaky stuff.
    Not at home now but some one will have the references for S and T boats. Book on T boats lists that sort of thing somewhere..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  5. Submarine Museum keep a record of most, if not all, jolly rogers with a few on their website.. Most boats had gun actions and daggers for cloak and dagger stuff and they were all Med based, not much of that went on in the Far East. If the bars were white it's a merch sunk, red for a warship and yellow for a Japanese (no PC in them days). As well as S and T's most of the Med boats were U class, Upholder being a more famous one.

British Submarines of WWII - British Naval Forces - Fighting the U-boats - uboat.net

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

7. Thanks WreckerL I just thought the number of gun actions was a bit high for the Med. As I'm sure you know near the end there were few targets worth a torpedo in the far east areas Royal navy submarines operated hence the high number of gun actions on targets down to a few tons.
    Cloak and dagger operations usually consisted of dropping off coast watchers both European and native and could get very hairy as described in Edward Youngs book "one of our submarines". A great read and very evocative.
    Hope the flag ends up at the Submarine Museum.