A whole bunch of questions.

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Bleeh, Oct 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I've got a bunch of questions, if anyone could answer some/all of them, I'd really appreciate it.

- Could someone help me figure out what the first 6 months will be like schedule wise, I understood that it worked something like 10 weeks College - 4 months - 2 weeks - normal working from that point onwards. But do you get time off inbetween at any point, or is it one long section? - I'm trying to figure out how year will pan out, if I leave in May for my first 10 weeks.

2.) How does deployment (Is that the right word?) work? - do you get a letter through the mail with a date and a place or? - Do you have to sort your own travel then you are reenbursed or are you sent tickets?

3.) What's the rules with leaving the country when on leave? - Could I go on holiday for 80 days, or?

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

When are you joining?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

3. Late April, so for arguments sake lets say May 1st.

4. exJenny

10 weeks training at Raleigh. Followed by BSSC. Off to sea for 4 months. Couple of weeks off maybe, 4 weeks consolidation at Raleigh. Further courses at collingwood I think. Then sea again... Then start getting into the 4 months on 84 days off. Any courses you get stitched for during leave stops your leave clock. You won't lose any leave. Very rare but you could get pinged to go back a few days early, might dip in and get a bit more time at home.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. exJenny

As far as next ship etc goes I believe it's all about getting on with your appointer, getting your name down early for specific ships/locations. All sorted via phone from what I gather.

6. Wait so if you get in, do your training and start you get to put your name down for a ship you would like to serve on?

7. exJenny

Not your first ship no. After a few years you could ask for a certain ship but as with everything nothing is guaranteed. First trip post training is in your class with a mentor on a Fort boat most probably.

8. exJenny

This info is based on what serving rfa friends have told me. Don't take it all as read!!

9. Either way, it's still very interesting reading

10. exJenny

However nice 4 months in the Caribbean would be, if the powers that be need you to do 4 months in UK waters instead then that's what'll happen whatever ship you had ask for.

11. 2) In theory it's an appointment letter. If you give your appointer your e-mail address, you usually get it via e-mail. You may or may not get a phone call, depending.

Overseas travel is arranged for you. Travel within the UK is up to you to arrange and submit an expenses claim for.

3) You can live abroad if you wish.

You cannot be required to attend a course or a ship until your earned leave has actually run out. When it does, you are on 'continuous pay' and are at 24hrs notice to join a ship unless otherwise agreed with your appointer.

You can of course ask for a specific appointment, but you don't have to. It is common practice to back up such requests with appropriate bribes: flowers, chocolates, etc. Best kept to phone rather than e-mail to avoid any written records of dodgy practice.

12. exJenny

Cheers for that. Just going by what my friends have told me.

13. exJenny

Peeps, I don't profess to know all about the RFA when I put a response on here. All I will say is I have done a lot of research and looked into the RFA in great detail as it's a massive lifestyle change for me and wanted to ensure I was making the right move. Opinions are my own and based on information from serving RFA personnel. I just hope that some of what I say is useful to others.

14. You haven't posted anything wrong, I was just adding a bit more detail.

The prime motivations for influencing future appointments are 1) tax refunds (AKA "Sunshine Boys") and 2) desire to be close to home. These are usually mutually exclusive. Some have come to view an income tax refund as a right, have arranged their financial affairs accordingly, and will take strong measures in the effort to ensure that it comes about. The other group usually have something going on in their family or home life that means they'd like to be able to visit home on occasional weekends, or be more easily able to return home in case of domestic emergency.

15. God damn reading all these post about the RFA just excite me, I'm working on my maths as this is something that I want, if I don't pass the RT the first time It will make me more determined to pass it the 2nd time

16. Another question.

How does allowance work? - Is it just added on top of regular pay, or do you have to spent it on certain things/places?

And, as far as deployments go, are there considered best/worst ones, or is it a personal question?

Do the RFA go as far as the Antartic, The Pitcairns, or St Helena? (all places I'd love to go).

17. exJenny

The allowance is split over 12 months.

18. The "RFA Allowance" is just another part of pay. The name and the fact that it isn't part of basic pay just confuses people, especially when looking at recruitment material.

South Atlantic does have the South Atlantic Repetition of Tour Allowance, implying it's a bit of a hardship posting. Caribbean used to be good, has gone downhill a lot in recent years, but sometimes you still get a decent programme of visits. I'm sick of Bahrain.

Not really, unlikely, occasionally.

19. exJenny

The FI's is one I do want.

20. The good news is that APT(S) often visits South America and west and south Africa and you'll never spend enough time around the Falklands to qualify for South Atlantic Repetition of Tour Allowance (ship's programme is adjusted to make it so). Make sure you do it before the last Rover boat retires though as the nature of the visits will change when it's a big fat Tide boat that can't get alongside in Mare Harbour. The Wave that went down there didn't have much fun.