A Wardroom secret discovered after 66 years ?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Scran_Bag, Feb 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This afternoon, whilst supping a few Stella's, I was watching on T.C.M, In Which We Serve, a 1942 film starring Noel Coward as Captain "D", in charge of a flotilla of Destroyers.

His ship was deployed to Dunkirk to assist in the evacuation. One scene showed several evacuated Army Officers on the ship's bridge enjoying a welcome warming drink.

One senior Army Officer asked "What's this old chap, it's heartily warming "?

Coward replied, " Oh, it's only ordinary Bovril with lashings of Sherry"

Now, in my near 60 years on this Earth, I've drunk mostly everything imaginable. I thought that I had heard of virtually every drink going.

Is this drink a Wardroom secret known only to the upper echelons & Wardroom Stewards ?

Has anyone ever tried the delights of ordinary Bovril with lashings of Sherry ?

I await your answers eagerly.

2. :thumright: Watched the same film today for the umpteenth time, every time I see the Bovril and sherry bit I make a note to try it but still haven't. If anyone has let me know too.

3. Remember seeing the scene in the film, but never thought about it til now - have got the Bovril in the cupboard, but what sherry does one recommend - VP or Mainland British Cream Sherry (used to be 15 bob a bottle) ?

4. I presume it was a subsititute for consomme to which you traditionally add a DRY sherry (NOT Oloroso though) for extra flavour. Bovril makes a good substitute, albeit not as tasty, but without all the hassle making it. Consomme was served daily on cruise liners during my childhood in the 1960s and 70s, and is still served today on some lines. It is a good pick-me-up when you are sitting in a deck-chair on a cold, windy day! Perhaps Pusser could be persuaded to serve mugs of bovril and sherry at stand easy for the adult matelots and chocolate milkshake to the baby matelots, neggers chocolate! :twisted:

Try adding Lustau's Los Arcos dry Amontillado to your hot Bovril. Lustau's sherries are excellent. A bottle costs £11 from Fortnums.

5. I prefer marmite with creme de menthe...

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Occifers only put sherry in their Bovril to cover up the taste of whatever the Boatswain's Mate put in it... 8O :oops: :twisted:

7. You want to try Vodka with Mint Sauce,very tasty but all the green bits stick in your teeth !

8. Still makes my blood boil when he tells his servant to get his things at his own house!Lazy chutney ferret,thought he was too posh for the rest because he wrote some crappy songs/plays. Oh! and slept with a male member of the Royal family!his voice drives me to drink,just like him,very fruity.
    not my favourite sea film

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

My grandmother met Noel Coward when he was 11 years old. He told her he wanted to be the most famous actor in the world. Howzat for self-assurance!

10. I couldn't agree more, a total upper-class knobber who thought that he could act.

However, still no one admitting to have drunk this concoction yet !!

11. I will confess to having tried it. We got the idea one lazy Sunday whilst watching the film and wondering why anyone would choose to spend Christmas Day alongside with their Jimmy and CO. Not sure if we had the mixture correct, or if we didn't have the same appreciation of it being sat in a T42 Wardroom as opposed to being on an open bridge under fire from Jerry shore batteries, but it was gopping!

Oh and why give the Ship three cheers when it was sinking?? One Job!