Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

A Very Intresting Read!!

PartTimer said:
MasterChief said:
CORRECTION TO MY LAST DASA-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think PRESIDENT is an extremely good RU in many measurable ways. I have visited every unit in the past two years, more than once in some instances and PRESIDENT people are generally top-notch, despite the usual boring uninformed comments made about PRESIDENT and its people. Being one of the largest if not the largest unit in the RNR means they ofer critical mass when conducting surveys and can offer more views than smaller units

I think that's precisely my point MC. I'm not President but I recognise they are a good unit and draw from a pool of very talented people. Interviewing what may very well be the 'best' RU from a wealthy area may not result in representative views. For that matter, neither are KA or Vivid, as their locations result in a large proportion of ex-regulars.

Should have gone to the current holder's of the Thornycroft Trophy! That way they can see the unit the High Command hold in highest esteem. Hard to argue with that!

Yawn,

very tired of the President bashing - as usual people are trying to offload the large chips on their shoulder. Also as usual those who critcise are probably the ones who've never been to President.

Grow up and get a life, I wish people could focus on more important things than slagging off my unit for no good reason.

Jim30 said:
Yawn,

very tired of the President bashing - as usual people are trying to offload the large chips on their shoulder. Also as usual those who critcise are probably the ones who've never been to President.

Grow up and get a life, I wish people could focus on more important things than slagging off my unit for no good reason.

What on earth are you talking about? Nobody was President bashing that I can detect here - perhaps you are being a bit over sensitive? The comments related to whether the NAO should have gone to more than 1 unit, and whether President is representative given it's high calibre of recruit as the result of its location. How on earth can you read that as President bashing?

In fact, it's only on this forum that I've come across this supposed 'President bashing' story. OK, I've only been in the RNR for a few years, but I've never heard of anyone decrying President or its personnel. Have I been leading a sheltered life?

Jim30 said:
I wish people could focus on more important things than slagging off my unit for no good reason.

God, I was at President for a few years and I could give you quite a few good reasons!

Interesting to note that both Australia and Canada have larger naval reserves than we do, even though their navies are a fraction the size. The French naval reserve is nearly three times the size of ours. The impression the report gives is that the RNR relatively undersized and underused in comparison with the other two reserve services, and that the Naval Service, in contrast with the other two services, does not have a clear policy on the purpose of the RNR and when/how it is to be used.

Significantly more naval reservists cite inadequate training and poor promotion opportunities as reasons for leaving in comparison with the other two services. Other reasons cited by more naval reservists were poor leadership and no longer fun/challenging. In contrast, those citing not wanting to be deployed, pressure from home/employer, money and inadequate support were lower, in line with the smaller rate of deployment in the naval reserves.

Having spent a short period of time (4 months) with the Canadians, I'd argue that while their reserves are larger, they are forced to get involved in a lot of areas that we don't do, because their regular force is smaller.
The canaidans spend a lot of time doing seamanship and harbour protection in RIBS, which we don't touch. I'd argue their basic trainnig was a lot better - but longer.

Latest Threads