A Very Belated Pickle Night

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by fisherjohn, Oct 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New to the forum - and already asking for favours...

I'm jacking up a belated all-ranks, tri-Service Traf/Pickle night at HQ ISAF in Kabul on Sunday (31st, combining with Halloween in the interests of post-SDSR cost-cutting). I'm trying to get hold of the Pickle Night Dispatches to give the night a bit of decent dark blue flavour. If anyone can help, that would be great.

cheers all,

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

FJ: Welcome to RR! :thumbleft:

There are plenty of threads about this on Rum Ration already; if you use the Search Facility and enter "Pickle Night" you will get plenty of threads with appropriate suggestions - and some less so! - for your forthcoming event.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

3. Or Google Pickle Night! :oops:

I use the dispatches from the Hampshire Chronicle as found (I think) on the RN Museum site.
  4. Google - why didn't I think of that!!

I've tried t'interweb, and while there's plenty of reference to the original London Gazette dispatches, there's little resemblance to the speeches that I remember (and have slurred my way through) from Pickle Nights past.

If the bloke who PM'ed info to another member on here could help out, I'd be very grateful.

Oh, and one of the Chiefs out here has joined RR with the sole purpose of trying to get hold of the same thing for me. His opening gambit might be very similar to mine. Be gentle...

Thanks again for any help lurking out there.

5. once you go RR you never leave :p

Best of luck with it all