A true leader?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by watch_and_shoot, Feb 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After browsing through the Royal Marines website, I came across this comment in the 45 Commando news section. It was a quote from the RSM, regarding the now famous Apache Rescue Mission to recover the body of LCpl Ford RM. It made me think about what qualities a true leader should possess.

WO1 Colin Hearn, a Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) with the Royal Marines, also volunteered for the rescue:
    "It had never been done before on that particular aircraft," he said. "I just wanted to get on. We knew what we were going to do. We had a rough plan of how it was going to run.

"I'm just grateful that we found Lance Corporal Ford and got him back on the helo and back with us. I'm a Royal Marine, I'm RSM of the unit, he's a Royal Marine the same as me - there was no way we were ever going to leave him, or anyone else on that battlefield."

In my opinion there are two types of leaders. Those who be because of their position demand respect and those who command it. This is an excellent example of a leader who commands respect and shows why men are willing to follow the likes into the fires of hell and back again.

2. A splendid example of leading by example, we should all be dammed proud of our Royal Marines.
  3. Hooyah! :grin:

4. hahaha - Has Ling gone Yank on us? :shock: No offence BNY. :wink:
  5. Just got caught up in the moment, might yomp to the beer fridge in a minute and watch heartbreak ridge.....
  6. How very British.
  7. It was a truly heroic exploit. All who took part should be honoured. However with the benefit of hindsight, which they didn't have, it was truly rash to risk the lives of all participants and some very valuable non human assets. Nevertheless they are a all credit the service. However ometimes a heroic venture can be an unaccepable risk. Thank goodness we still have uncalculating risk takers
  8. Per Mare Per Terram
  9. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Per Mare, Per Terram, Per Astra!
  10. Be nice to get those lads on say a Christmas show at Christmas televised live and bring them up on stage and let the nation know what they actually did. With that fecking prat tv show sidelining it a few need to be informed.

Mind these lads are the type who just go do it and have a beer later and think of lost comrades.
  11. This was a very daring mission and acheivement. It is unfortunate that their oppo was killed. However, it just goes to show you the level of bravery that bootnecks have. It proves the old saying of NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND.

Great soldiers, great Oppos and great, brave, elite men.

Green Death
    Author & Former Bootneck
  12. Per Mare, Per Terram, Per Apache!

I am still trying to work out whether they flew in on the Apache, or did they just picked it up and yomp in with it on their backs...

But seriously they did a great job and RIP to their mate.
  13. Can't see the problem? ROYAL Marines do not leave anybody behind, he was one of theirs, he needed pulling out of were he was, the did it! Heroic to anybody else yes, to a Royal Marine 'all part of the job'! Kinda glad they are on my side tho' RIP to corporal Ford, bad luck
  14. Were any of these fine marines decorated for there risk?
  15. If not they all should be.

16. It was believed he was alive. thermal imagery showed him a great deal warmer than Terry lying close by. Notwithstanding, "No one gets left behind"
  17. Brave men,lets not forget a pongo was one of the four guys on the AH64