Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A total disgrace

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
PartTimePongo said:
They're boring, they've been done to death , and as been previously mentioned here, over concentration on Arthur, means the real villains of the piece as it were, get off lightly.

The press who didn't get his story are now in full vendetta mode, no doubt guided by certain PR individuals smarting from their last interviews sans coffee.

I would really rather we didn't lower ourselves to their dubious standards.

Never thought I'd say it, but I agree wholeheartedly PTP.

onions

GCM
Totally agree with Wedge 35.

If the reporter saw Arfur "wandering the streets" why didn't he get photo's? They would have added a bit of substance to a NON story. Was the reporter even in Plymouth? If he wasn't, then was the "story" made up? Definitely a case of more questions than answers.

And if you are going to castigate a young lad for losing his passport, how many of US have dhobyed our pay books, or lost ID cards during our service days?

Semper Strenuissima.

Much appreciated. Thanks Wedge 35.

What worries me is that Arthur might gets abused or assaulted back on Cornwall precisely because of his mistreatment by both the media and some less than desirable verbal attacks on RR itself. Some here have suggested that Arthur should giving a pasting by his messmates, or have I misunderstood some of the references in other threads on this topic? Perhaps they weren't meant to be taken seriously? The danger is, they might! That is the PERSEC issue that concerns me. Of course as a civvy I don't know whether this is something that is really a PERSEC issue, but I'm bothered that, from my perspective, it appears to be. Having said this, I was very wrong when I misread naval hygiene standards at the G Spot as being signs of serious sexual abuse in the RN whilst researching my Law MRes, so I acknowledge that I could also be misreading the situation here!

I stand to be ridiculed by the real sailors here! Fire away! :oops: :oops: :oops:

general_jumbo.

Midshipman
what i see as a total disgrace is the british press's handling of a young britsh serviceman, the way he was set up then satirised, like some have already said on this forum , who can honestly say they wouldnt have done the same at his age, its such a shame a lot of the british public will see this manipulated senario as typical of the modern navy. I was furtunate to witness the departure of the crews back to the gulf on sunday , older hands bidding a tearful farewell to wives and kids, younger rates full of anticipation of the destination but trying not to show it in front of their mates, and holding back the tears as their mums hugged them, telling them to look after themselves, something that i suspect has happened for generations ! Oh and to a man they were all smartly dressed complete with berets ! Me I blubbered like a two year old as my youngest got on the plane, but proud so proud

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
gj, very well put. All too often people are quick to criticise & forget these people are like you & I, they have families too.
What you wrote reminds me of the hell my parents went through during the Falklands conflict. I knew I was OK, they could only hope - a hellish situation for any parent. Now I'm a parent, I finally realise.

NoFaultFound

Badgeman
Always_a_Civvy said:
Much appreciated. Thanks Wedge 35.

What worries me is that Arthur might gets abused or assaulted back on Cornwall precisely because of his mistreatment by both the media and some less than desirable verbal attacks on RR itself. Some here have suggested that Arthur should giving a pasting by his messmates, or have I misunderstood some of the references in other threads on this topic? Perhaps they weren't meant to be taken seriously? The danger is, they might! That is the PERSEC issue that concerns me. Of course as a civvy I don't know whether this is something that is really a PERSEC issue, but I'm bothered that, from my perspective, it appears to be. Having said this, I was very wrong when I misread naval hygiene standards at the G Spot as being signs of serious sexual abuse in the RN whilst researching my Law MRes, so I acknowledge that I could also be misreading the situation here!

I stand to be ridiculed by the real sailors here! Fire away! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Maybe there is a reason that you are known as Always A Civvy and that is because you dont have the first clue about what goes on aboard one of her majesties sleek grey warships. Keep wondering from your perspective, ie behind a desk/TV screen and leave what happens on board to the ones that know, none of the 15 will be bullied nor beaten. The piss will be taken and life will go on much as it has done for all time. Get a Life or join up..

NoFaultFound said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

Maybe there is a reason that you are known as Always A Civvy and that is because you dont have the first clue about what goes on aboard one of her majesties sleek grey warships. Keep wondering from your perspective, ie behind a desk/TV screen and leave what happens on board to the ones that know, none of the 15 will be bullied nor beaten. The piss will be taken and life will go on much as it has done for all time. Get a Life or join up..

I deliberately chose the name to reflect my ignorant status! :lol:

Quite true!

Phew! :)

I'd love to, but, er, I'm a little too old and decrepit... and in view of your reply to my post, clearly far too stupid! :oops:

Thanks NFF!

PS: As there appears to be no PERSEC issue here I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to PTP. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Gunz_45

Badgeman
NFF, I think you were overly harsh to AAC. Luckily he had the good grace to accept your points with humour. These pages are open to view by all members of society and we need to be wary of what we say and, more importantly, how we say it. Whilst those of us in the front line understand the nuances those not aware could easily misunderstand what is being said. This site needs the likes of AAC to point out these things out.

ukdaytona

War Hero
So they go back, get the piss taken out of them and Arthur may or may not get a rather sever telling off but at least none of them took the option to stay shore side and all have returned to or will be returning to the ship, just next time, keep a look out for fast moving boats when doing a ship boarding.