A top[-heavy navy

Seadog

War Hero
Salt has the combat indicators of a yesteryear badgeman, a late developer who is bitter that a subscription to "The Register" and some competence in Latin is not enough to get him retrospectively promoted 5* (or selected 4*) and active list for life.

Am I warm?

epsom salt

Lantern Swinger
It is entirely possible that some of the Captains that AB Epsom Salt saw are retired, not RN ( the curl is not © RN), perhaps MN Chief Engineers. Salt can surely identify the 3* who was doing Usher's duties for his immensitude.

Some were. Most weren't. My wife's brother , a retired MN Captain was with us. It has to be remembered the Seafarers Service is principally for MN people. The RN attendees are extras. That certain Captains and above were possibly retired-- most weren't as was obvious by their hangers-on-A proliferation of pretty Wren Lts or whatever they are called today. One noticeable feature was that none of the medals worn by the RN contingent related to having their ever witnessed a gun ( or whatever) fired in anger

Seadog

War Hero
A proliferation of pretty Wren Lts or whatever they are called today. One noticeable feature was that no

You've been told before, WRNS officers were never referred to as 'Wrens', except perhaps by the most illinformed junior rate dullards masquerading as officers so grand that lesser Flag Officers ( retired or not) dance attendance on them.

epsom salt

Lantern Swinger
You've been told before, WRNS officers were never referred to as 'Wrens', except perhaps by the most illinformed junior rate dullards masquerading as officers so grand that lesser Flag Officers ( retired or not) dance attendance on them.
And I've told you before and will repeat here that I am well aware what wrens are called. I live with one who was a killick wren stenographer when I met her at Raleigh. Later a 3O WRNS.
Stop making a fool of yourself by pretending to be clever. Have a lie down.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
And I've told you before and will repeat here that I am well aware what wrens are called. I live with one who was a killick wren stenographer when I met her at Raleigh. Later a 3O WRNS.
Stop making a fool of yourself by pretending to be clever. Have a lie down.

I'd like to thank you for enlivening this otherwise dull site with your wisdom, knowledge and experience. We learn so much from you, and I for one hope that as the years roll by, we can look on you as model of how to be a total c*nt.

epsom salt

Lantern Swinger
I'd like to thank you for enlivening this otherwise dull site with your wisdom, knowledge and experience. We learn so much from you, and I for one hope that as the years roll by, we can look on you as model of how to be a total c*nt.
It has become rather dull. One must ask why. You learn nothing from me. You're what it's about today and we must grin and bear it

Some were. Most weren't. My wife's brother , a retired MN Captain was with us. It has to be remembered the Seafarers Service is principally for MN people. The RN attendees are extras.
You're hopelessly out of date again:

Seafarers UK said:
Seafarers UK is a charity that helps people in the maritime community, by providing vital funding to support seafarers in need and their families. We do this by giving money to organisations and projects that make a real difference to people’s lives, across the Merchant Navy, Fishing Fleets, Royal Navy and Royal Marines...

The charity was founded in 1917 by the then Lord Mayor of London and eminent members of the maritime community. They saw a need for an umbrella organisation to oversee more efficient distribution of the nation’s charitable help given to help seafarers injured in the First World War, and their bereaved families. King George V gave a donation of £5,000 and later allowed his name to be used. The charity was thus called King George’s Fund for Sailors and has continued to support seafarers to the present day...

In the summer of 2005 and after extensive research on public perception, the charity decided to adopt a new name to more effectively describe its work. The charity helps not only RN sailors but anyone who has worked in the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Merchant Navy and fishing fleets, and their dependents. The charity wanted to make it clear that it works for all seafarers throughout the country and commonwealth, and it was thought the name Seafarers UK was most appropriate.

Here's some good news to come out of that service you allegedly attended but seem to have slept through. It's from the Seafarers UK website too:

Seafarers UK said:
As a result of the continuing generosity of donors to the Annual National Service for Seafarers (ANSS), in particular the Gosling Foundation, it has been possible for the ANSS Trustees to award bursaries to support the musical education of young people from youth organisations and from the schools who contribute so much to the musical richness of the annual event...
Are you getting confused with the Mission to Seafarers which also involves itself with the service?
That certain Captains and above were possibly retired-- most weren't as was obvious by their hangers-on-A proliferation of pretty Wren Lts or whatever they are called today.

What on earth has this to do with Captains being retired or not? Men and women have held the same ranks (e.g. Sub Lt instead of 3/O - Kindly inform the person with whom you live) and fulfilled the same roles in the Royal Navy, ashore and at sea, since the WRNS was abolished in 1993. That's well over 20 years ago! Why shouldn't female officers have been present at the service in their own right just like their male colleagues?
One noticeable feature was that none of the medals worn by the RN contingent related to having their ever witnessed a gun ( or whatever) fired in anger
What does such a medal look like? I've witnessed guns and missiles fired in anger at sea but I don't have any medals that specifically prove it. Was there really no one who has served in the Gulf during ARMILLA, GRANBY and TELIC, Afghanistan during HERRICK or off Libya during ELLAMY?

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Some were. Most weren't. My wife's brother , a retired MN Captain was with us. It has to be remembered the Seafarers Service is principally for MN people. The RN attendees are extras. That certain Captains and above were possibly retired-- most weren't as was obvious by their hangers-on-A proliferation of pretty Wren Lts or whatever they are called today. One noticeable feature was that none of the medals worn by the RN contingent related to having their ever witnessed a gun ( or whatever) fired in anger

I've got 3 medals incl the Afghanistan OSM and never witnessed anything going off in anger as I was off watch and racked out when the TLAM's went off.

Do I have to wear sackcloth and ashes now?

epsom salt

Lantern Swinger
I've got 3 medals incl the Afghanistan OSM and never witnessed anything going off in anger as I was off watch and racked out when the TLAM's went off.

Do I have to wear sackcloth and ashes now?
If you were in the thick of it--- you must wear your medals with pride. If not, they're merely embellishments and you must make of their importance what you will.

slim

War Hero
Language PT Language!
After all these years of you coaching me on how to respect me orficer class you then use naughty lowly sailors language.:(
However for once I agree epson is a total crunt!