A Theory On Hell

The_Black_Pig

Midshipman
The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term:

"Is Hell exothermic [gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Support your answer with a proof."

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So, we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added. This gives two possibilities.

1) If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2) Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Therese Banyan during my Freshman year "That it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then (2) cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic.

The student got the only A.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Driving lessons, theory tests and driving tests to restart in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory test changes: 14 April 2020 MoD News 0
soleil Yachting Monthly: "Royal Navy Pilot Passes Yachtmaster Theory In Afghanistan" The Fleet Air Arm 0
B THE THEORY OF FLIGHT ETC The Fleet Air Arm 33
BillyNoMates Heaven & Hell Diamond Lil's 13
janner Hell Below Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
AAF Hell Diamond Lil's 8
B How the bloody hell do you delete your account Site Issues 11
P well bloody hell Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
Topstop 24 Hrs of hell Diamond Lil's 17
janner Bloody hell The Gash Barge 7
BillyNoMates Heaven vs Hell. The Gash Barge 13
janner Hell Miscellaneous 0
fishhead Old Nuc.Boat heaven or hell Submariners 5
MBeehan Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway The Book Club 0
Rumrat Friggin Hell big Bro's watchin me. Diamond Lil's 10
Father_Famine George Bush in Hell Miscellaneous 0
Ballistic I'm going to burn in Hell Diamond Lil's 15
soleil Who The Hell's Ever Heard Of An Aircraft Carrier w. No Jets? Current Affairs 11
Rumrat Friggin hell we're worlds apart. Diamond Lil's 14
Rumrat Just for the hell of it. Diamond Lil's 8
D Welcome to hell! The Quarterdeck 0
NotmeChief 'kin hell. The Quarterdeck 5
Z Jokes you'd go to hell for telling Diamond Lil's 20
stan_the_man Northwood PJHQ J2 Hell on fcuking earth Diamond Lil's 3
moshe7158 the caryard from hell Blogs 0
Guns TLA or what the hell are these new Matelots talking about... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Z Fcuking hell The Gash Barge 8
K What the hell? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
Deano19 Funny as hell sayings? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 88
D Hell of a way to get over loosing at Uckers! Diamond Lil's 5
KATWEEZIL HELL Diamond Lil's 7
C oh come on now...what te hell is going on!? Current Affairs 9
brazenhussy Heaven... or ...Hell.... Diamond Lil's 9
B yo ho ho jingle hell Blogs 0
skyvet Beats the hell out of Southdown coaches! Diamond Lil's 5
F Bloody Hell.... The Gash Barge 5
JamesH Dubya dies and goes to hell. Diamond Lil's 3
T What the hell!? The Gash Barge 1