Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A tale of two heroes

AndyWade

I hope this is the correct Rum Ration forum to post this news item, this is from a friend of mine called Diane Snow:

My husbands eldest brother (one of six) - Anthony who wore Billy's medals and was chairman of his local British Legion branch died of a massive heart attack whilst driving his lorry on the 15th of October. He was leading a convoy of five articulated lorries on the M1 in Leicestershire, their cargo being fireworks. Despite the pain he manoeuvred his lorry through the central reservation, across the southbound carriageway and up an embankment, no other vehicle was involved. There are several news items online on Leicestershire News. I left a thank you to all those involved in aiding Tony and was grateful that through this a few days later Stuart of London who witnessed the accident got in contact. It was he and an off duty paramedic that were able to get to the cab, he was able to confirm that although they could not enter the truck that Tony was showing no signs of life. Also he felt Tony had deliberately placed his lorry there, and if you can see the picture I think you would agree. The email gave much comfort to the family in particular Tony's wife Yvonne and four children. Tony was cremated with full military honours (Royal Engineers) and his airborne cap was also placed on him and Yvonne was handed the Union Flag that had been draped over him. In his way, Tony was a hero too.

AB Billy Snow BEM was cox'n of HMS Li Wo, the most decorated small ship in the Royal Navy during WW2. He died when she was sunk in a VC action against a Japanese convoy. The full story about this brave ship is here.

I thought you lads might like to hear a tale of 'derring do' in the week preceding Remembrance Day. Even though I'm a former crab, I have the honour of laying a wreath at our Oakworth War Memorial on behalf of the Prince of Wales and Repulse Survivors Association on Sunday 11th Nov. I'll be standing tall on behalf of all our brave lads.

(also posted to ARRSE)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Cape{town}etc: "The Legendary Tale Of Just Nuisance" History 8
slim A Tale of Two Titties! Diamond Lil's 61
SONAR-BENDER A medical tale. Diamond Lil's 7
Ninja_Stoker Undeclared medical conditions - A cautionary tale. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil WM News: "Wren's Tale Of Courage And Devotion To Duty Honoured At RNAS Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 5
Drakey A true tale Nautical Jokes 0
janner Tale of the lost cock Miscellaneous 0
Drakey A Tall Tale Current Affairs 4
Rodgersthecabinboy A tale from long ago.. Diamond Lil's 1
NotmeChief A Grim Fairy Tale Diamond Lil's 0
slim A tale of two cities Diamond Lil's 14
Tas-ape A Squirrel's Tale The Gash Barge 2
A Red Tape Tale Diamond Lil's 2
N A fairey tale, well I hope it is. Diamond Lil's 2
janner A Fairy Tale - From the Womans persective. Diamond Lil's 17
P fairy tale for girls Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS Run for Heroes founder wins PM award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish Sea Rescue Heroes receive £125k UK Government funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armed Forces heroes celebrated at The Sun Military Awards MoD News 0
soleil "Selfless Heroes Nominated For The Sun’s Military Awards" Current Affairs 8
MoD_RSS British Embassy Warsaw remembers British Heroes of the Holocaust MoD News 0
BillyNoMates Heroes & Heroines Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS British medics in Samoa among the humanitarian heroes of 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PHE offers support to UK vaccine heroes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK aid heroes awarded New Year’s Honours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Rescue heroes given £1 million for life-saving equipment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Marvel legends assemble to inspire next generation of engineering super heroes! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Sun Military Awards 2018 reward armed forces heroes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister praises First World War heroes at reburial service MoD News 0
D Experts and Heroes Current Affairs 0
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Real-Life Comic Book Heroes Mark Submarine Service's Birthday At Faslane Dinner" Submariners 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two WW1 heroes finally laid to rest 100 years after they made the ultimate... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £1.8 million pledged to remember British war heroes, Chancellor announces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Sun Military Awards return to highlight British heroes MoD News 0
RewardOurHeroes Reward Our Heroes Website Miscellaneous 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ebola heroes recognised with parliamentary march MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Military Heroes Honoured at the 2014 Millies MoD News 1
Val the Gal Heroes Diamond Lil's 24
soleil Herald: "A Plymouth Rehabilitation Centre Fit For Heroes To Be Opened By Royal" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Herald: "Cockleshell Heroes Memorial Service To Be Held In Plymouth" The Corps 0
soleil Telegraph: "Help For Heroes Launches Charity Game App" Charity 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh meet Headley Court heroes MoD News 0
trelawney126 Stealing from Help for Heroes Charity 26
T Streets for heroes Current Affairs 28
A New ebook:Arctic Convoy Heroes. My Father's story.70th Tribute, Battle of North Cape. The Book Club 17
S The Cockleshell Heroes The Corps 3
soleil Mail: "Courage That Defies Belief... And Why We Owe All Of Our Victoria Cross Heroes" Current Affairs 4
trelawney126 New Memorial to Cockleshell Heroes Unveiled The Corps 11
Naval_Gazer Royal Navy to pay tribute to Channel Dash heroes Current Affairs 0
fishhead Help for Heroes.......sometimes! Current Affairs 4