A step further forward

legend

Midshipman
Hello All ,
Following on from previous posts . My Grandson who is 18 years of age has reached the point of having passed his initial recruitment test and interview has got a date for his eye test next week 15th December . He is hoping to join as a Weapons Engineer Technician (possibly Submariner) . Has anyone a rough sort of idea as to how long it would take now to actually get to the HMS Raleigh stage of basic training ?
thanks

Waspie

War Hero
As there appears to be no recent posts regards joining times for most trades I would suggest that your grandsons AFCO may be the best source of advice on this. The problem being every joiner has their own individual circumstances so an accurate timeframe is difficult. What may be a couple of months for some may be many many months for others.

Good luck and well to him on progress so far.

Civvie dad

Badgeman
Can only speak of my lads timeline, showed interest in April had interview in may got tmu in June , this put everything back for around 6 weeks waiting on go/capita to talk to each other pjft end of July prnc November and goes in today , reading loads of other posts while we were waiting like waspie says there’s too many variables on a individual basis for a exact time line, medical, need for chosen trade, fitness tests ect . We dropped really lucky with afco as he was constantly on capitas case whilst tmu and was constantly in touch with us

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Can only speak of my lads timeline, showed interest in April had interview in may got tmu in June , this put everything back for around 6 weeks waiting on go/capita to talk to each other pjft end of July prnc November and goes in today , reading loads of other posts while we were waiting like waspie says there’s too many variables on a individual basis for a exact time line, medical, need for chosen trade, fitness tests ect . We dropped really lucky with afco as he was constantly on capitas case whilst tmu and was constantly in touch with us
He's cracked it, two weeks in then two weeks leave, pig out over chrimbo and then throw up all over the gym floor when he gets beasted first week back in January :)

Last edited:

Supportive Dad

Lantern Swinger
My boy is still waiting for a new date after Covid stopped him going to Raleigh in September. Started the process for AET in April 2020. I wonder if recruitment has slowed down.

Civvie dad

Badgeman
Just thrown him out at the station , even my old dry eyes wetted up a little maybe the thought of him coming back in a couple of weeks, but it looks like we raised him enough to stand on his own feet and get out in the world .it’s a bit bitter sweet from a parents point of view but I dare say I’ll here all about it when he gets home as he’s not great a ringing as was proved on the prnc
Thanks to you old uns on here for all the information we’ve taken it’s been quite a valuable resource even more so because of the p1ss taking . If any parents are interested on what goes on I’ll update you’d when he gets back on leave as we’ve took a lot off here it’s right to pay it back

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Just thrown him out at the station , even my old dry eyes wetted up a little maybe the thought of him coming back in a couple of weeks, but it looks like we raised him enough to stand on his own feet and get out in the world .it’s a bit bitter sweet from a parents point of view but I dare say I’ll here all about it when he gets home as he’s not great a ringing as was proved on the prnc
Thanks to you old uns on here for all the information we’ve taken it’s been quite a valuable resource even more so because of the p1ss taking . If any parents are interested on what goes on I’ll update you’d when he gets back on leave as we’ve took a lot off here it’s right to pay it back
I was at sea when my eldest joined up, 6 months later when I got back I managed to get to his passing out parade when he finished Phase 2, I wasn't worried about him but evidently his Mum and both Grandmothers were though, or so my youngest told me :rolleyes: ;)

Civvie dad

Badgeman
I was at sea when my eldest joined up, 6 months later when I got back I managed to get to his passing out parade when he finished Phase 2, I wasn't worried about him but evidently his Mum and both Grandmothers were though, or so my youngest told me :rolleyes: ;)
Not worried about him as he said thanks last night for the upbringing we gave him even though he didn’t appreciate being beasted up hills through the lakes and mid wales and sleeping in a bivy bag ,putting him in the ring and a few other things but last night he said he wouldn’t have the mental ability to know that when your mind says stop it’s only tricking you if I hadn’t done all that to him