A simple question, not even too bothered about the outcome

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Zoidberg, Mar 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My mum just nagged the hell out of me for the last month so I got my provisional licence.
    I'm not too bothered about learning at the moment because A) I can't afford lessons B) mum doesn't want to teach me C) I can't afford a car D) I can't afford the insurance.

My mum's now convinced the RN (Should I get that far) will pay for my licence ( :roll: ) even though I won't be going for a logistics job.

To quote her: "I've never known anyone go into the forces and not be taught to drive". I call shananigans on that quote.

Forgot the question. WIL DA NAYVEE TEECH ME 2 DRYV?!?!?!

2. Re: A simple question, not even too bothered about the outco

FFS what are these boys on? It's not sex 'cause they don't get any [except self inflicted ] ,its not booze as they would only be getting sick in the sink and not posting on here.Drugs? Blue Smarties ?

3. Re: A simple question, not even too bothered about the outco

Depends what your going in as, AH do I believe but for everyone else NOOOO. Standing by to be corrected

4. Re: A simple question, not even too bothered about the outco

When/if you get you licence dont bother getting a car for at least a year, then the insurance goes down a big lump and it becomes affordable.

5. Re: A simple question, not even too bothered about the outco

The navy will teach you do do a lot of things that you have never done before
    i.e. Clean toilets, scrub floors, salute things that move and paint things that don't,pick litter,clean bilges.
    And when a member of the Royal Family visits your barracks you might even have to paint the grass green (you think I am kidding?)
    They don't teach you to drive though (unless it is essential to your job/trade)

[​IMG]

6. Cheers, Scrumpy. That's the answer I was expecting :thumright:

7. Which is the answer I gave in the beginning :roll:

8. So you did. Sorry. Thanks to you as well.

9. A pleasure, I'll go and put my toys back in the pram now

10. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

If you are going in as a handler they will teach you to drive. If as an AET you MAY just be able to blag a course for service reasons and then you will have to learn to drive a tractor to move aircraft. You will also get E class licence (towing).
    You can also claim a grant of up to £175 a year for education. You can do this every year. This grant can be used for courses which will be benificial to the Navy. A levels, OU, day release at college and driving lessons can all be paid for with this grant.

11. As stated above, depends on the job in hand...for example, I was drafted to Naples back in the 80's and had to have HGV1 (LGV?) ..Navy sent me on a course to obtain said licence,job done! Don't know how the rules are now though....

12. Re: A simple question, not even too bothered about the outco

Of course the navy will teach you to drive, and depending on how well you pass your test will also buy you your first car. This can be anything from an old clapped out Ford Fiesta to a new sports car. When Prince Andrew was in they even gave him a helicopter. :p
    You will only get the ca though if you are a very good boy who still believes in Father Christmas and feeds the Fairies at the bottom of the MAs garden/ :p

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Once I'd read the full title of this thread I reached the same conclusion... :roll: :yawn:

14. I haven't passed my test and I just drive anyway. F'uck it. If they catrch u what can they do? ban u? Who cares, ur not officially a driver anyway. Be badass mate.

15. Re: A simple question, not even too bothered about the outco

Here, here. Can we make Nails a MOD? He's the only one that tells the kids like it is.

16. Whilst serving in the mob I got my car licence through the army and also got my hgv through the raf...
    Depends on job requirements..

17. While serving in the Rn I got to ride a Pussers Red :p

18. Re: A simple question, not even too bothered about the outco

Assuming you are an average Joe - you can get financial assistance towards driving lessons. Speak to the 'Learning Centre' once you are in and finished Phase One. You book the actual lessons with a normal driving school.

19. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Some, not all, units allow you to use your annual education grant towards driving lessons. As others have previously stated, the RN actually teaching you to drive is rare and is job dependant.