A sad end rfa diligence stealthy put up for sale

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SuperNexus, Aug 4, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't you know the navy is not important anymore, we need to have a army of armed police in London because a machine gun is going to stop a suicide bomber in a crowd........

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. Spent four months on her when I was Upholder Spare Crew. Floating around the Indian Ocean and Med with not a lot to do, a cabin to myself with an en-suite, it was a submariners dream :)

Having said that, I helped out the ships electrical officer with his massive list of defects. My team and I fixed most of them but the ship was overdue a full refit (this was 1994) and I don't think much money was invested in her.

3. She had a major refit in 2007 but from what I've heard her workshops where the best in the fleet. With the drop in oil places there are a lot of support ships going cheap and we could get one and outfit it for a budget of 50m

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I hadn't realised that you were not just a Defence expert but a Security one as well.

5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

We can't even get the money to refit what we've got.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I am making a guess here but now Dil is going what will be the floating Forward Support Engineering Unit? She was used as am FSU as part of an exercise in the Gulf about three years ago.

7. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

They carry on as they have for the last 3 years? They'll limp into a port when everything goes tits up.

8. Of course I am, I did Madden96's Defence and counterterrorism studies.

9. Please don't mention that name on here, the night of the long bullsh#ts is still fresh in the memories of many... @WreckerL is still having counselling, I believe.

10. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

I was on it from Oct 82 to Mar 83 hen it was in the Outer Harbour at Stanley as the Stena Inspector.

levers

11. I was at HQ BFFI at much the same time, and visited her from time to time. Wasn't there some rule about not wearing steaming boots in the accommodation? Or are the little grey cells getting confused again?

12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

What is 'stealthy' about her sale? Posted on gov.uk, reported in the media, commented on by the knowledgable and clueless.

Advertising something for sale begets publicity, not stealth.

I believe one of the problems with this 'much needed ship' was a lack of a much needed ship's company.

• Like Like x 1
  13. You and me both ... swopped her over when Stena "re tasked" Seaspread and gave us "Inspector" to play with!

14. You are correct ... bats not allowed inside the main accommodation areas ... kicked around in trainers most the time! Mind JR's accom was a port-a-cabin bolted on the upper scupper!

15. JR's accommodation was in the Gym. Approximately 90 bunks were fitted. Apart from us Greenies, who had a 10 man portacabin notorious for parties

16. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Seaspread came alongside us with Coventry's 965 and other recoverables in her welldeck. And a few SAS, one of which pulled a gun on one of the civvy chefs in the dining hall (admittedly the civvy chef was winding him up and we didn't care much.

No bats allowed as I recall. I had an ace pair of those snug diving overboots/slippers which I wore for years after in the house until they fell to bits.

So many stories of those five months.

levers

17. Seem to remember the civvy "Dive Tech" was a guy called Tony Duck! Used to tip up for improptu parties with a full tank of helium ... contest was who sounded most like Mickey Duck!

18. Pretty sure it would.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I was on her during the first gulf war. Admittedly, I was a bit of a spare part (again)as the civvie chefs did everything(poorly IMHO) Loved it, although I can't say that spending 6 months alongside in Dubai, only going to sea once a month for lifeboat drills had anything to do with it!