A Revervists War.

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by janner, Apr 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Fascinating dits, Janner, and bang on cue regarding the X-craft on the day news has broken about one (probably) being found on the bottom in NI.

Last year I met Jim Booth who was one of the D-day COPPists and spent five days in an X-Craft off Sword Beach providing a starboard-hand navigational marker. How such a chap who must have been 6'4" was coiled down into a X-craft is a bit of a puzzle. I visited one at Portland in 1956 and even though I'm a bit shorter than that it was a bit of a squeeze.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I met Jim Booth on my last trip up to Dolphin museum, only had chance for the briefest of words as he was off to a meeting.

Gordon Newman was a great friend, it was very difficult to get much out of him re his time in the X Craft and felt that his part in things was hardly worth mentioning. When he talked about doing the beach landing, I said that I felt that that was a large contribution to things, his reply, others did a lot more.

A fast reducing generation of men who will be badly missed by those fortunate enough to know any of them.

4. What a fantastic dit...thanks for sharing it!!!