A request for help

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Ali_Ramsey, May 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I initially posted this in the Games section and was advised that it might be better posting here.

I am part of a team at UKMIL who are developing a selection of Harriers for the MS Flight Simulator; some RAF variants and (the main reason for coming here) the FA2. We do not release these models for commercial gain but ask that those who download them make a donation to Help for Heroes. Now, my job in this project is to develop the flight dynamics for the aircraft. I have gleaned a lot of basic information from various online sources but in order to make the aircraft fly as realistically as possible I have found that this is insufficient.

So, here is the request: is there anyone out there who would be able to assist us with what would amount to a lot of accurate data on the aircraft? Accurate dimensions of control surfaces, aerodynamic properties, flight characteristics, CoG limits and other more mundane info as well. Of course, if any of this information is still classified then we'll have to make do with guesstimates but I'm hoping that it could be made available.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

2. Well for starters mate your Harrier avatar is in the wrong paint scheme so I wouldn't use that in your game ;)
  3. Yay! Looks like I'm in the right place as you spotted my deliberate (cough) mistake ;)

4. pm Pontius... he is the best looking ex steely eyed Harrier pilot in the FAA
  5. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And the gayest.
  6. ...which is going some.
  7. OOOoooo, get me; steely-eyed, best looking and bloody raving. I never knew you lot cared/knew (okay, I know the answer to this one: you don't).

To be honest mate, I could compare differing 'feels' and give you my opinion on which ones, I think, are closest to realistic but I wouldn't be any help when it comes to control surface size etc. Have you asked the people at British Aerospace? They've got all the gumph and I'd be willing to bet it's unclassified. As for applying that data to a game I'd be as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard.....unless they write games in Basic or Fortran :-|

If you want to write a program to simulate how gay SHAR drivers trumped the Army at every turn in the fanny magnet department, you'll be pleased to know I have plenty of data. Having said that, I don't think a foregone conclusion would make a very exciting game........but it was fun at the time :slow:

PS: Why does your avatar have a red thing on its tail and a knife and fork for insignia? A discerning chap would have a winged trident, surely.
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  8. Hi Pontius,

Thanks for the offer of help which is much appreciated! I'm using Microsoft Flight Simulator X (updated to either Service Pack 2 or Acceleration) for these models so if you have it installed then I can send you the latest version of the Harrier for you to test. Unfortunately, it can't be used in earlier versions due to the complexity of the model.

I've already asked BAe for some info but I haven't heard from them so far. Don't worry about applying info to a game as that's what I'm trying to do - getting the information in the first place is proving to be the hard part!

Let me know if you have the sim and I'll get the ball rolling. Cheers!

Oh, as for my avatar - it was the first one I saw online so I pinched it :)

@Scouse Gotta love the Sea Vixen, even though it did have a bit of a reputation as a widowmaker, although I do like the old Vampire too. Saw one of those this weekend down at Southend airshow - a great display from a old-timer!
  9. Ali, just out of interest why are you using MS's FS platform?

X- Plane covers all platforms, MS, OS and Linux. It also has a built in flight modeling programme.

Just curious!
  10. Hi Waspie,

As I'm part of a team that develops solely for the MS Flight Sim series that was the reason! We have had a couple of discussions about developing for X-Plane but so far we haven't made the cross-over. I personally use both MS FS and X-Plane (flying on Mars is fun!) but I've not used the creation tools yet. Maybe once this project is complete.

11. I've just had a request from the guy who is 'building' the FA2 and so I'm passing it on here. On the starboard side of the cockpit, just forward of the intake there are two small foot- or hand-holds covered by flaps. Now, he would like to know if these flaps are hinged at the top or the bottom and whether they push in or pull out - he's a perfectionist and wants to get everything spot on! Any takers for this one?

12. Hinged at the top and push in. They are flaps that cover the holes used to attach the ladder the the aircraft.

I'm trying to think of how I can assist you in your assessment of SHAR handling as I don't have any flight sims near the house, let alone my computers. I have to go in the sim every six months, whether I need to or not, so tend to avoid the things like the plague and my computers do little to replicate the arse puckering of busting out of the cloud at night and seeing the airfield bouncing and swaying all over the place, in the middle of the Atlantic. Maybe you could add a device that sprays sweat over your face and armpits when you start the approach :-D
  13. Cheers for the info, Pontius. Edd, out 3d model-maker was most grateful! His comment to me afterwards was 'Now we've got one hooked, can we keep him or do we have to throw him back?' :)

I'm sure we can find some sort of solution without you having to get close to a simulator. Maybe a kind of Q&A session would work, either using the forum, PMs, email or even phone contact. Any assistance at all, no matter how it's done, would help immensely.