A real Sailor

Im only a sprog but surely a "real sailor" is someone who went to sea on a ship with sails. Therefore technically none of us qualify, 'Old and Bold' and Sprogs alike. Just a thought...... 8O

harryaitch said:
As a wafu on three carriers I also served as crew on the captains barge,on two of those as coxswain.(Please refrain from making any lewd comments re the first three letters of the last word)! :wink: I dont pretend to be an ex sailor as the FAA was and is a great part of the R.N,but many of the seaman manning the ships boats on these carriers seemed to spend a lot of time either getting lost or running in to reefs ,rocks and anything else that got in their way.After a ships boat crew briefing on the Ark in Villefranche in the late sixties we were warned about hidden rocks in the entrance to the harbour.Two of the seamans launches hit those rocks,we did not. :lol:.So whats a sailor,? is just in the title.? :? .Anyway do any of you real sailors remember the Fairey Huntress?No its not a wafu's name,but a boat. :lol:
Yeh wernt it one of the posh ships boats ?

Jones265R said:
Im only a sprog but surely a "real sailor" is someone who went to sea on a ship with sails. Therefore technically none of us qualify, 'Old and Bold' and Sprogs alike. Just a thought...... 8O
Stand by - On the Reclaim in the 60s, we had a sail that we used for certain operations. 8)

McHammock

Lantern Swinger
ORACLE said:
Jones265R said:
Stand by - On the Reclaim in the 60s, we had a sail that we used for certain operations. 8)
Black cat warning !
Brecon (&Ledbury) 1982 - To/from Falklands. Hoisted sail from the mainmast. Gave us half knot extra speed as it stopped us rolling so much.

harryaitch

Lantern Swinger
dt018a9667 said:
harryaitch said:
As a wafu on three carriers I also served as crew on the captains barge,on two of those as coxswain.(Please refrain from making any lewd comments re the first three letters of the last word)! :wink: I dont pretend to be an ex sailor as the FAA was and is a great part of the R.N,but many of the seaman manning the ships boats on these carriers seemed to spend a lot of time either getting lost or running in to reefs ,rocks and anything else that got in their way.After a ships boat crew briefing on the Ark in Villefranche in the late sixties we were warned about hidden rocks in the entrance to the harbour.Two of the seamans launches hit those rocks,we did not. :lol:.So whats a sailor,? is just in the title.? :? .Anyway do any of you real sailors remember the Fairey Huntress?No its not a wafu's name,but a boat. :lol:
Yeh wernt it one of the posh ships boats ?
It was a posh boat,known as the Admiral's barge when he was in, and the captains launch when he was out.The look of it was comparitive to some modern speed boats,which is exactly what it was, a speed of around 25-30 knots was enough for water skiing.the bilges held 40 bottles of marsovin
purchased from a grocer in one of malta's backwaters and lifted on board by our obliging fisheads and recovered at at a later date.Being boats crew had its finer pints. :D

Don't know about the huntress,but the Fairey Spearfish was a nice little tool, great in rivers and OK for NI but as soon as you got it in open water it took all your skills as a cox to keep it from turning turtle.

BigSi

Midshipman
There used to be a good " Badgers" Website for all you ex flight deck stokers.... Its linked to the proper Ark Royal ( R09).. erm... I think

harryaitch

Lantern Swinger
Lingyai said:
Don't know about the huntress,but the Fairey Spearfish was a nice little tool, great in rivers and OK for NI but as soon as you got it in open water it took all your skills as a cox to keep it from turning turtle.
Your right the huntress was bad news in a bit of a chop,it tended to want to go over at speed.I took one out of grand harbour in malta with a bit of a sea running,I thought the end was nigh,and it was only a short trip to selima creek.! 8O

sidon55 said:
Ratrat said:
Seadog said:
The ONLYGASMAN! If you are going to strut your stuff as a Chief Stoker, please spell 'Chief' correctly.

You've had enough time. Sort it out. I'm annoyed!

Sorry folks, I just had to say something before OGM is accused of being a 'Walt'.
Concur with "Seadog" - You can expect a Pongo not to the able to spell his rank (They must know somebody who can read or write) or a Crab (Must be able to read OR write) but matelots especially stokers with a higher RT score should be able to spell their own rate. Obviously, why he ended up a Chief Stoker not a Chief Mech!
Amazing to find a Stoker of any rank able to write especially joined up
writing
Cheeky sod

McHammock said:
ORACLE said:
Jones265R said:
Black cat warning !
Brecon (&Ledbury) 1982 - To/from Falklands. Hoisted sail from the mainmast. Gave us half knot extra speed as it stopped us rolling so much.
Last Steam reciprocating Engines in the Fleet............
Chiddingfold used an awning as sail from Biscay to Gib in '87, extra 1/2 knot got us in some hours early. During the work up of the new 30mm post the barrel flying over the side (not fully locked home) CPOWEA Bill Pirie the WEO was heard to say ' I suppose that's my leaving barrel then'. Hadn't done the course ('can't spare you') bomb proof.
Top man old Bill in his carpet slippers wandering back from a DTS on another ship.

ORACLE said:
Jones265R said:
When I was at Vernon in the late 70's early 80's we had the Reclaims ex workboat. It was the only one with a proper 'heads'. We had loads of gash workboats for the divers.
Many used on night diver training. There were a couple of 45' workboats ex Ark Royal (one had run aground/collision on the Missisipi & had a new front end).
There was an ex HMS Tiger workboat & the so called 'Bomb boat' that was operated by MOD staff was built in 1945. Also an ex Range safety launch with 2x Rolls Royce C6m diesels, that was pretty impressive.