A real Sailor

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Twotone, Mar 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 15 years in the WAFU'S 702NAS, 707NAS, Illustrious ships co, 707NAS, ARK ROYAL Ships Co, 899NAS, 801NAS 772NAS(BEST DRAFT EVER)

4 years in the Plod

Once i got to civy street proper worked as an Aircraft Designer for 5 years, now am business manager for BAE SYSTEMS

2. That's a contradiction in terms WAFU and Real Sailor!

3. I dunno Ratty be fair, working on the flight deck of a carrier commands respect, I did it for two years on the Albion and although we only had helicopters we worked with the WAFUs on the fueling and we all had to be on the ball.
    On the other hand being in the Police doesn’t command any respect at all, unless of course it was the RUC.

4. I take it that you, like me, was a "Badger".

5. Yeah the big No 1 on your chest with the bleached ovvies the chuuka boots and always up top bronsey bronsey for leave.
    fcukin awful glad I`m out.

6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

WAFUs, salt of the Earth. Great guys and girls, real sailors! They could teach us general service bods a thing or two. I won't hear a word said against them.

Twotone wrote;

Welcome Twotone!

Geez a job!

7. You'll probably get a Big And Expensive job

8. WAFU'S should have been called badgers instead of stokers as they spent all day down a hole fast asleep. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

9. On the Hermes us real men of the sea ships crew had a name for WAFOOO's

Penguin's full of crap and can't fly

Diving Now Diving Now :lol: :lol:

10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The ONLYGASMAN! If you are going to strut your stuff as a Chief Stoker, please spell 'Chief' correctly.

You've had enough time. Sort it out. I'm annoyed!

Sorry folks, I just had to say something before OGM is accused of being a 'Walt'.

11. Concur with "Seadog" - You can expect a Pongo not to the able to spell his rank (They must know somebody who can read or write) or a Crab (Must be able to read OR write) but matelots especially stokers with a higher RT score should be able to spell their own rate. Obviously, why he ended up a Chief Stoker not a Chief Mech!

12. You can expect a Pongo not to the able to spell his rank

Rearrange to form sentence.
    Kettle,pot,the,like,grimy,thats,calling,arse,the.

13. That's to compilcated for an RP Oh! sorry OM(T)SM (I think)

Nutty

14. WAFU and Real Sailor do not belong in the same sentence at all. Always last on and first off and ALWAYS at the front of the scran queue as watchkeepers. ;-)

15. In the days before all this electronic wizardry was about, the ships helo was always a winner when flying ahead to pick up ships mail, and if my re-collection is right, the WAFU's were the only one's to get decent tans when on deployment, they were the "experts" at hiding from the FD camera.

16. Amazing to find a Stoker of any rank able to write especially joined up writing

17. As a wafu on three carriers I also served as crew on the captains barge,on two of those as coxswain.(Please refrain from making any lewd comments re the first three letters of the last word)! :wink: I dont pretend to be an ex sailor as the FAA was and is a great part of the R.N,but many of the seaman manning the ships boats on these carriers seemed to spend a lot of time either getting lost or running in to reefs ,rocks and anything else that got in their way.After a ships boat crew briefing on the Ark in Villefranche in the late sixties we were warned about hidden rocks in the entrance to the harbour.Two of the seamans launches hit those rocks,we did not. :lol:.So whats a sailor,? is just in the title.? :? .Anyway do any of you real sailors remember the Fairey Huntress?No its not a wafu's name,but a boat. :lol:

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There are at least two Huntresses being used as Bass boats, in Weymouth, they have all the old cabin etc. stripped off and now have a forward wheelhouse. A mate of mine, also in Weymouth has a Huntress in its orginal condition, nice boat.

19. Janner,its nice to hear there are still Huntresses around.It was a nice boat and had a few knots in it,even with only a single screw.The skipper on the Hermes used it for waterskiing with great success.Mind you he did fall off a few times,maybe it was the wafu driver,or was it just accidental! :roll:

Hows the 'mooth' these days.?Spent many a happy time down there while base a Portland(Air station) :lol:

20. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Air Station is virtually gone, only the new Coastguard Hanger and pad, part of the site is the new Weymouth and Portland Sailing Ahcademy (sp) which is apparantly going to host the sailing events for the 2012 Olympics.
    The rest is being slowly converted into industrial and housing units.