A quick question about applying for FAA.....

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by lazers_pew_pew_pew, Jun 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, I've had a read through the forum and lots of useful advice.

I was just wondering is it advantageous to have had some previous flying experience i.e. from being a member of the local air club, or is this a waste of time?

In terms of successful applicants to the fleet air arm would any of you know a figure of how many are selected each year compared to numbers that apply?

Many thanks.
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

They'll take anyone, now Submariners are much more choosy
  3. haha thanks ;) submariner is definitely my 3rd choice
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not as daft as it sounds- Subs move in 3 dimensions too.

Seriously though, previous flying experience not necessary- we test your "Flying Aptitude". It may be of some benefit to have at least tried a simulator or done a flying "taster" beforehand to see for yourself what all the knobs, buttons & twiddly bits do - knowledge is power.

A difficult question regarding Aircrew Selection as people fail at various hurdles of the selection process. Would it surprise you that probably 90% of people who come in to the careers office want to be a fighter pilot? About 90% of those are immediately ineligible due to the basic academic, residency, Nationality or medical requirements.

Of those that are eligible to apply the attrition rate is alarmingly high as you have to pass (from July 07) the Recruiting Test, Pre-Joining Fitness Test, Medical Examination, Initial Officer screening interview, Admiralty Interview Board & Flying Aptitude. I'm guessing, but I'd estimate from start to finish, assuming you're eligible to begin with, we would probably expect ten pilots out of 100 applicants, maybe less. It's difficult to tell yet as the new system is not yet in place.
  5. Less than 10% bloody hell, what about for regular Warfare Officers?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Again, I haven't actually got figures, but I guess about 50% of those eligible at the beginning for Warfare, would actually pass AIB & get offered a place. Bear in mind the Recruiting Test for officers isn't in place yet, so figures don't exist from applying to successful selection.

I stress I'm guessing & it depends on the geographical area & standard of education in your area. About 15-20% in the northwest actually fail the recruiting test stage for rating. Presumably the score for officer will be higher.
  7. Surely because of the recruitment shortages your chances of getting any postition are greater???
  8. I'm waiting until February (by the sound of things from the Selection Officer) to get a place at BRNC, and I was told I had a good pass at AIB.
  9. Too tempting, toooooo tempting.

It's not really a like for like comparison. In the early stages as well as general officer-like qualities aircrew need a high level of physical aptitude and mental agility, whereas warfare doesn't require that in the same way. Don't mistake mental agility for intelligence, it's more the ability to do fairly straightforward maths whilst under fairly high levels of physical and mental stress. It's the latter stage that increases the attrition rate for aircrew.

Also the attrition rate is quite high for aircrew through training, and significantly lower therough junior warfare course. If you get selected as a Warfare Officer then failing is quite difficult.
  10. That assumes that the reduced candidate population has a higher number of good candidates than the previous candidate population, which doesn't appear to be borne out by the general feeling in industry.

If you're not going to drop the standards, and the candidate population retains a similar qualification profile then it means that someone who gets on the list after AIB has a greater opportunity to get selected to their preferred entry date, as opposed to an imposed date.
  11. good info there guys, thanks for replying.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Just to make you feel good, with regard the "Coarse Filter" which is the preliminary Recruiting Test, I tested 10 potential ratings on one occasion a month or two back - 7 failed for any trade.

I've even seen a guy with a BSc (2:1) in Engineering fail the recruiting test- how's that for an indictment of our educational standards?

Anyway, good luck.
  13. isn't it mostly the medical that destroys aircrew? personally im worried about the AIB but am terrified of the medical, i mean what do i do if i fail at the last hurdle of an 8 month process..... im not freaking out. Dam attrition rate