A question, plea for help from an author

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by authorheeeelp, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone.

I've come here to ask for some help. I am writing a novel (I'm a published author) with a few sub scenes in it. I am utterly out of my depth here.

It would be great if I could PM someone here and simply ask... if I have to turn to starboard, who says what to who, and then how do they do it....

This is stuff I would like to get right.

Obviously I cannot promise you riches and eternal happiness. But if anyone would like to drop me a pm and then answer some Qs every now and then as I contiue writing, I will mention you in at the front of the book in glowing terms (if and when it gets published.)

I hope I am not intruding on your forum and you don't find this fishing trip of mine insulting.

Thanks for your time and any help you might be able to offer.

With great respect

2. See your PM's

3. Thanks kindly Nutty.
  4. thanks will do.

BTW if anyone can explain old school 1970s periscopes for me via PM, or knows a link to some decent shots, that would be great!

5. Sorry one new thing... Does anyone possibly remember the name of the documentary that followed submarine officers on their qualifying course?

Is this still called the perisher?

Thanks again.
  6. I am sure if you could get to Gosport that the Museum could be of even more help, especially if they were to share in your books royalties. They even have a boat that was current in your period you can visit.
  7. The program was called “Submarine†and was originally shown on BBC2. It was six episodes long, two-titled “Perisherâ€, two “Ocean Safari†and two “Bomberâ€. The Perisher course is still run but the format has changed slightly due to the demise of diesel electric boats.

8. Thanks kindly.
  9. Tracked it down... HMS Splendid

10. Fantastic..it's either about eating filled rolls or (more likely as it involves scenes) S&M, I'm intrigued either way, let me know when I can get it on Amazon.
  11. You could of course "pinch" any Control Room Commands,
    Wheel Orders etc from any Novel/Paperback/Hardback that
    is currently on the market because, as far as I know, it is
    hardly Copyright Material.
    "Ten Down, Revolutions for 10 Knots, keep 300 feet"
    is Ten Down, Revolutions for 10 knots keep 300 feet -
    no matter which way you look at it.

Please avoid the Americanisms:

"All ahead flank!!"
    "20 knots aye!"
    "All ahead Stop!/Start!"
    "The Exec has the con!"

As Yoda from Star Wars would say:

....unless it's an American book that it is writing...you are.
  12. :dwarf:
  13. I could easily turn this into a thriller about a bacon sandwich.

As for this:

You can't pinch stuff! Besides for the effort it takes to go out an ask questions you find out new things that are also interesting.

Like what a cheeky bunch of piss taking barstewerds submariners can be :)
  14. Another one you might try to track down was a "Look at Life" series. They came to sea for a couple of days on HMS Narwhal in the early 60's filmed all aspects of life on a boat.

This was them filming a shot of us diving. I think I sent this to you?

15. Okay Okay I surrender!
    If you want the technical stuff:- :thumright: