A pittance of time!

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by andym, Jan 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am welling up Andy
  2. Me Likey!!!
  3. Totally agree with the sentiment, great advert.

That American Fake "Auld Eireland" music gets on my tits though, sorry :(
  4. that's very good
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Lamri wrote
    I think you'll find it's Canadian. There are plenty of clues but I expect your blinkers were on.
    You should be.

Not a patch on the Willy McBride Song (Green Fields of France/No Man's Land)

You Tube

That is a 'smokey in here' song if ever there was one. Thread about the video an its origins on ARRSE

The 'Willy McBride' song was written by a Scotsman. Any Oirishness in this version is valid. Plenty Irishmen have fallen in service of the Crown.
  6. And WHY should I be sorry then oh holier than thou type bloke?
    Oh, American/Canadian its all FAKE to me (should I be sorry about its sorryness?)
    As I said, if you read it all, I totally agree with the sentiment and thought it was a great advert.
    So I ask you once again, why? My "sorry" was probably taken completely out of context by you, wouldn't be the first time you've done THAT ;)
  7. It is Canadian viewed it long time ago. Should be shown on the box at the correct time of the year!!! Bring it home to many!!
  8. Bloody right it should!!!!
  9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Lamri wrote
    You did. Very kind.

The singer Terry Kelly is a Canadian and Canadian born. How recently (parent/grandparents?) Irish I don't know. I do know that cultural heritage in Canada is often recent and genuinely felt. Terry Kelly is blind. He's not pretending but don't feel guilty. :wink:

I thought you putting the boot into the Irish aspect was a bit snide so I put the boot in. If it wasn't what you intended I apologise.
  10. Whats that got to do with anything? lol, I don't get it.
    My nan was blind btw.
    From the blitz
    I have nothing but the utmost respect for Irish people. Doesn't mean I have to like non-Irishmen playing Irish type music though ;)
    Its a bit like Chas n Dave do reggae. Not quite right lol.
  11. memories are short, I posted it in a forum around rememberance day.
  12. Despite all the bickering thats going on above i found both clips very moving and i am very dispointed that i havent heard them before.

Well worthy of air time at the appropriate moment.
  13. I saw this link form hig when he posted it. moving. The songwriter witnessed the scene depicted in the video, in a supermarket, and wrote this while still seething.
    Should be on TV at start of November every year !
  14. Very Moving Video, Unfotuanly i've seen people like that who contiue walking,talking shouting on their phones.

I'm not overly violent but quite a few times i've wanted to smack em one, But that would just disrupt even futher and dishonour.
  15. Celtic music has been alive and well in Maritime Canada from its settling... circa 1600s. Early French inhabitants, as well as the Irish, Scottish and English fishermen and settlers brought their music with them.... so it is as "traditional" as the Celtic music of Ireland, today.

The musician is blind and has been since childhood. He was born in Newfoundland and grew up in Nova Scotia where the song is set and where the encounter he based the song upon occcured.

If it isn't in the video, the story is that on November 11, 1999, Terry Kelly (the musician) was in a Shoppers Drug Mart store, in Dartmouth , Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the store's PA asking customers who would still be of the premises at 11:00 am to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for us. Terry was impressed with the store's leadership role in adopting the Legion's "two minutes of silence" initiative. He felt that the store's contribution of educating the public to the importance of remembering was commendable.

When eleven o'clock arrived on that day, an announcement was again made asking for the "two minutes of silence" to commence. All customers, with the exception of a man who was accompanied by his young child, showed their respect. Terry's anger towards the father for trying to engage the store's clerk in conversation and for setting a bad example for his child was later channeled into a beautiful piece of work called, "A Pittance of Time". Whether the man really did realize what an ass he was being is unknown.

I know that whe I was travelling through Heathrow on Nov. 11. There were a number of announcements in several languages prior to the minutes of silence. I was in the Duty Free shop when the chime was sounded and all stood silently, with the exception of a baffled (ironically, German) tourist who kept trying to get the clerk to answer a question. I don't know if he ever figured out why she and no one else would respond to him.