A patent foramen ovale, will this be an issue?

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Afternoon
Had my servive medical and had to go away and have tests because I have a dipped chest . Had a ECG, spirometry and a cardiogram and the only thing that came back was on my cardiogram there was a murmur allegedly caused by A patent foramen ovale.Having looked into it its a flap that does not close or close completey after birth in your heart mainly innocent with no treatment needed if you have no problems . So Im just wondering if anyone else has had this and joined up ok or not?

Cheers I also understand that there may not be anyone qaulified to give me a definitive answer but any info apreciated.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Nope :D seems Im somewhat of a acident repaired /mutant.my back op is no longer an issue any more so hoping this will be sorted . Reading into it 25% of the population has it so its not some rare disastrous condition haha . No mention in jsp950 ether so fingers crossed , just another hurdle to smash the [email protected]@k out the way!

pompeyexpat

War Hero
I will start by saying I’m not a Doctor and what I’m about to say may not help, but on the off chance it does I’ll say it anyway.

I have a heart murmur that was undiagnosed until I had my medical for service in submarines, so I was already in phase 2 training. Whether that made a difference or not I don’t know, but after a number of tests and an appointment with a cardiac consultant it was decided that it made not one jot of difference to my life and I was cleared to carry on with my submarine training.

Waspie

War Hero
Don't know if its the same. But when I had my aircrew medical, ECG portion. They picked up an anomaly with my ticker. No idea what it was called now but the analogy that was explained to me was. A piston engine goes, suck, squeeze, bang, blow. (A cycle of four). The ticker has 28 such cycles. And one muscle was sucking when it should have been blowing. However - it wasn't enough to bar me from flying.
Hopefully, your 'patent foramen ovale' will be similar.
Good luck.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Don't know if its the same. But when I had my aircrew medical, ECG portion. They picked up an anomaly with my ticker. No idea what it was called now but the analogy that was explained to me was. A piston engine goes, suck, squeeze, bang, blow. (A cycle of four). The ticker has 28 such cycles. And one muscle was sucking when it should have been blowing. However - it wasn't enough to bar me from flying.
Hopefully, your 'patent foramen ovale' will be similar.
Good luck.
Mine is a flap between the chambers that normally closes up after birth but in 25% of people it does not or partially . The quack said as you have no issue’s we wouldnt do anything but the navy might want more tests etc .cheers waspie i’ll get there !

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
I read the thread title and didn't have a scooby, maybe he should have just posted it under his other failed medical thread, instead of confusing me?
Ill make sure to find my other thread in a months time when im found to have mongoloiditus and ask if anyone else has it ;)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Max - SAFEGUARD - a PFO can be a REAL problem if you want to become a diver, whether Service or just a scooby doo.

If you feel the urge to go diving, see a proper diving doctor for your medical, rather than just a GP. It can be repaired, whether on the NHS or not I don't know, being out of the UK.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Max - SAFEGUARD - a PFO can be a REAL problem if you want to become a diver, whether Service or just a scooby doo.

If you feel the urge to go diving, see a proper diving doctor for your medical, rather than just a GP. It can be repaired, whether on the NHS or not I don't know, being out of the UK.
Going for AET , but duly noted I take it I could be more susceptible to the bends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
So my paper work has been reviewed and has been reffered to a senior medical advisor for them them to review it . Is this bad news or?

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Not necessarily, it may just mean whoever has it now is unqualified or unwilling to make the call. My case was passed up to a cardiologist after a couple of Doctors appointments and ECG’s, who carried out his own assessment and gave the final (positive) decision, so don’t read too much into it.

Waspie

War Hero
For me its an 'or'.
But!!!!
At least you will get a difinititive reply and you will know one way or the other!!!!!
(Sorry - I'm in cups half full mood tonight!!!!!!) Or is it cups half empty!!!!! Shit its a bad day!!! (For me).

Latest Threads