a newbie in need of some serious advice

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by slabby, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

I'm coming up to the end of my time at university and have given some serious consideration to a career over the past few months. I'm one of these people who hates doing the exact same thing every minute of every day, and I'm not entirely sure I'd enjoy a desk job in the same office for the next god knows how many years.

Basically I want a job I am going to enjoy, has variety, challenge and get to move around. I'm not afriad of doing a bit of physical work either. As a result of this I have been seriously looking at a career as an officer in the navy.

I've already had a wander down to my local navy careers office and had a chat with (edit: a very friendly and helpful) marine corporal who was there and he made the job sound very nice and cushty. (edit: However I guess it was his job to sell it to me, and idealy I would like to hear from those who are navy officers what it's really like.)

Am I just being a complete sucker and allowing myself to fall for all the advertising and stuff, or is the job really as good as it sounds and a worth while career choice for a person like me?

2. Do you like people addressing you as: SIR to your face and PIG behind your back? :twisted:

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Well if you can look down your nose at a bootie Cpl you should make a cracking matelot grunter.

Sorry I forgot to add ...tosser....

4. It certainly wasn't like that in my day but I think this chap needs some comment from those with real current experience not an old foggie like me or an interested observer like you.

5. Well,dont expect any of that as an Officer!!!

6. Poor Blobbs! Shall I rub it better.... your hurt pride that is, obviously! :lol:

7. I'm sorry was that directed at me? All I meant was that I am seeking the advice of navy officers about a job as a navy officer. The marine corporal wasn't a navy officer so I thought it may be beneficial to ask for the views of navy officers. It wasn't meant to be an insult to the marine......

8. Sorry for my increidble stupidity here, but have i just posted this thread in the wrong section of the forum :roll: .

Don't suppose there is any way of someone switching it :S:S:S

9. And rightly so Slabby. I sat AIB many (many) years ago, it wasn't right for me at the time, but I wouldn't knock it.
    I served with a lot of young naval officer under training on HMS Fearless, and I served with a lot of them later in life when they were Sub/Lts or Lts and they were mostly sound guys.
    I would say to you that if you want to travel, earn a fair wage, see the world and experience life (and you have the qualifications), then you could do a lot worse than be a naval officer.

10. wet_blobby

AAC, the pride that I have doesn't have the word gay infront of it, strange for some people to understand eh?

11. Not me Blobby, I am proud to have served my country during both the Falklands and Lebanon, and I am also proud to be gay. So does that make me twice as proud.........

12. wet_blobby

No, that makes you proud to be a serviceman...as you should be

13. A warrior and gay! I'm proud of you as well!!
    Go tell it to the Spartans

14. Would that be the Spartans rugby club........???? :lol:

15. Slabby what are you studying at Uni?
    That would have a huge bearing on what trade you would be directed towards.

Warfare officers spend their first 6 - 8 years at sea, so if you are looking at getting married or settling down be warned.

You may be suprised but there are quite a few graduates among the ranks nowadays, it all depends on what you want in life.

Life in the wardroom (officers mess) can be quite stifeling (sp) for a young officer. However, life in the lower decks is a lot more tolerant to people enjoying themselves.

16. Hi Slabby,

The RN Website (link below) gives a lot of information about options open to you and the training involved (but obviously makes it sound nice and cushty too - :wink: ), so you may want to go back to the Careers Office and ask them to make an appointment with the Area Careers Liaison Officer.

ACLOs are responsible for recruiting in that particular area and will sit down with you and go over your options, qualifications and the training in detail and give you the opportunity to ask questions.

RN Website

Edited to add link

17. If you have the ability to become an officer then I would suggest that you would be letting yourself and the service down to enter as a rating.

18. If you are educationally qualified to be accepted for entrance as an officer in the RN then go for it. Joining as a rating will give you an insight to how those on the lower deck think, but promotion to officer will be more difficult.
    Basically listen to Maxi (he no speak with fork tongue)

19. I'm studying politics at university. If I was to go for a career in the RN I would definitely apply to be an officer. I just want to be as sure as I can that the whole navy thing would be right for me just so I don't end up wasting mine and their time.

At first I was thinking about going for a pilot in the FAA, but now I'm not sure if my eyesight is good enough for that, do you need 6/6? Because I think mine is 6/9 :( .

But I'm not letting that put me off, I'm sure being in the surface fleet will be just as good, so I've been looking at warfare officer aswell as a more possible option.

As you can probably tell, I'm not one of these people who always wanted a particular job since I was a kid, so I have only really been seriously looking into this for about the past 6 months or so.

But I am looking to find a job which I will enjoy, I don't want to waste my life doing something I don't like, but I would also like to earn as much money as possible at the end of it.

20. Politics
    I can't think of a use for a political degree in the RN.
    perhaps you will become the first occifer to allow his men to vote on whether to obey your orders. :p
    Not another Micky Mouse degree, when are we going to return to occifers with real degrees like Maths, ecomnomics ad of course the sciences?