A new book about the TON Class MCMVs

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Naval_Gazer, Dec 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Last of the Wooden Walls - An Illustrated History of the Ton Class Minesweepers and Minehunters' is now on sale.

[​IMG]

119 of these much-loved post-war ships were built (including the GRP-constructed HMS Wilton) and tens of thousands of RN and RNR officers and sailors cut their teeth in them all over the world. Published by Halsgrove in association with the TCA, this 160-page A4-sized hardback tome contains a foreword by the TCA's Patron, HRH The Prince of Wales, and will be launched at the Royal Naval Museum in Portsmouth Naval Base on 9 March 2012 to mark the TCA's 25th Anniversary. It has a cover price of £24.99 but is available for £19.99 if pre-ordered via Halsgrove's website here.

'Jacks of All Trades', a companion volume containing a photo and history of each TON Class ship, is being published privately by the TCA and will be available at the same time.

All royalties from the sales of both books will be going to the TCA, not to any individuals.

2. Worth getting some to raffle off at the 60th????

3. I'll see what I can do. It's the same day as the launch.

4. =======================================================

=======================================================

One for Auld Yin's 'To be Reviewed' list.

The suggested RR reviewer? No contest: IMHO it just has to be Naval-Gazer...

5. Anyone know of a book on the HAM'S ?- Cardinham is one of my old ships so I'm interested
    we always thought of the TONS as comfortable daddies yachts.

6. Good timing. Are you on our facebook private site?? We have 260 members now. Glyn H and myself have put a few dits up from Bob O on there about the 60th.

7. Rob, I have just accepted you. Welcome to the forum. Some good dits going on at the moment!

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Thanks for the heads-up NG, I spent twenty months in Highburton and Clarbeston 1960-2.

9. The final chapter of the book covers the TONs 'little sisters': the HAMs, the LEYs and the FORDs.

VMT. Seen and done. I posted my application for the 60th through Bob O's door yesterday (at least, I hope it was Bob's door).

10. Cool, that is my Christmas present sorted.

Well, the stocking filler :)

Cheers.

11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy Midshipman Book Reviewer

Greetings the book; Wooden Walls, is not due out until March. I have requested a review copy and a copy of their catalogue. When review copy arrives I will be casting a line for reveiwers, so please watch out and keep a weather eye open!

I will also be looking for other similar books from their catalogue.

12. Did you serve in a TON class MCMV?

woodenwallsmed.jpg

The A4-sized hardback book 'Last of the Wooden Walls: An Illustrated History of the Ton Class Minesweepers and Minehunters' (160 pages) may now be ordered via Amazon here for £23.74 or Waterstones here for £24.99 but can still be obtained via Halsgrove Publishing here for the pre-publication price of £19.99 (instead of £24.99).

Jacks of All Trades front cover med.jpg

The A4-sized paperback 'Jacks of All Trades: Operational Records of Ton Class Mine Countermeasures Ships' is a volume of 120 pages. Published privately by the Ton Class Association (TCA), it will be launched as a companion volume to 'Wooden Walls' and contains the operational history and a photograph of each TON that served in the Royal Navy plus a summary of the 37 TONs that were transferred to other navies. It is available via Amazon here or Waterstones here for £9.99 but is still available from the TCA at the pre-publication discounted price of £9.49 (inc p&p) if ordered directly from: TCA Stores Officer, Lawrence Johnson, 4 Downham Close, Cowplain, Hampshire PO8 8UD. Cheques should be made payable to 'Ton Class Association'.

Both books will officially be launched at the Royal Naval Museum Library in Portsmouth Naval Base on 9 March 2012 to mark the 25th anniversary of the TCA so offers end soon. All royalties from the sales of both books will be going to the TCA, not to any individuals.

13. Does the first chapter start off with the homing torpedo inside Vernon Gate! A picture of the Lt. Wrigley versus the Diving Fraternity.....and will Johny Frier buy me a copy, he still owes me for the underwater telephone cable incident in 76.

14. No, No, and I doubt it. ;-P

15. Even so might be worth a read :-D

16. Thanks, served last commission on HMS Upton 1967/68 before demob. squadron was based at HMS Lochinvar right under/alongside the Firth of Forth railway bridge.

17. O young Lochinvar is come out of the west,
    Through all the wide Border his steed was the best;