Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Naval Base"Review", a Euphemism for Closure

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
Mercury, Vernon, Daedalus, Dryad - gone. Dolphin - resurrected as an accommodation centre, but cannot survive. Haslar gone, all bar the shouting. Sultan - rumoured to be going in the not too distant future.

Collingrad - developed to the nines, so an attractive purchase for somebody, no doubt.

Faslane won't be closed, but because of what is based there, not the current Scots hue of the government. Rosyth could cope with the carriers and T45s, so a possibility because of the current Scots hue etc. Guzz would sink into the abyss without the RN, so that's unlikely.

Sorry, Portsmouth - you have most of the history and will survive as a tourist centre, so you are the weakest link - goodbye!

So Scotland and the West COuntry get the active service bases, while the two centres associated with Nelson will have bnecome heritage sites (Chatham who built the Victory and Pompey who display it).

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Portland has become more attractive since being sold, already extensions are planned/underway to accomodate the RFA's that use it, also talk of a Z berth in the near future. Plenty of deep water, could the carriers get in there as well?

McHammock said:
Where have we just spent the most money modernising ?
That's normally a sure sign of imminent closure.

Some people call me an old cynic. I like to think I'm a mature realist !?

You're quite right! They abolished the Observer Corps after spending millions refurbishing our comms equipment! Beware! Give me shabby conditions anyday.

Not_a_boffin

War Hero
a_d 2 a-d

Have you been to Rosyth recently? It's a ghost town, with Babcocks slowly retreating to the building directly around the basin. There is NO, I repeat NO alongside berthing for a CVF with any sort of loading condition. Just because they're stitching it together there doesn't mean that they could actually accommodate an operational ship. All tehmold naval base jetties are now a bustling commercial port, so you can forget sticking 45's there as well.

Not_a_boffin said:
a_d 2 a-d

Have you been to Rosyth recently? It's a ghost town, with Babcocks slowly retreating to the building directly around the basin. There is NO, I repeat NO alongside berthing for a CVF with any sort of loading condition. Just because they're stitching it together there doesn't mean that they could actually accommodate an operational ship. All tehmold naval base jetties are now a bustling commercial port, so you can forget sticking 45's there as well.

As the old jetties you mention are now operated by Forth Ports all you need is the right money and you can use them any time you want.

At least there is a lot of activity going on to develop the parts that Babcick don't want for other industrial purposes rather than just letting it all rot away.

Peter

exmatelot

This country is going to get it's arse kicked soon as a result of ship sales, base closures, manpower reductions, regiment amalgamations and cutbacks in general across all 3 services. No political party of any hue that I can see offers anything else, the forces just aren't the pride of the country anymore - though what else they could do to reverse that is beyond me. It's just service personnel, ex-service personnel, their families, and those directly or indirectly employed by the services that seem to care. It's a crying shame.
Just remember who's let down who :evil:

Clouseau

Banned
exmatelot said:
This country is going to get it's arse kicked soon as a result of ship sales, base closures, manpower reductions, regiment amalgamations and cutbacks in general across all 3 services. No political party of any hue that I can see offers anything else, the forces just aren't the pride of the country anymore - though what else they could do to reverse that is beyond me. It's just service personnel, ex-service personnel, their families, and those directly or indirectly employed by the services that seem to care. It's a crying shame.
Just remember who's let down who :evil:

So, more schools and hospitals OR more Ships, Tanks, and Aircraft?

Ask that to the electorate!

asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
Sorry, Portsmouth - you have most of the history and will survive as a tourist centre, so you are the weakest link - goodbye!

I disagree - there are effectively 4 naval bases, 3 with ships (ie not Rosyth) and 3 with refitting capability (ie not Faslane) - this review, like all reviews a euphemism for "cuts", is predicated on losing one of the 3 refit capabilities, so Faslane was never in the frame. And with the D154 project complete, nuclear licensing issues, FOST being there, the SCXAs being there and everything else everyone has said, esp DML being owned indirectly by Dick "My boss is fellated by your PM" Cheney, Devonport will never disappear. So, it's a straight choice between Portsmouth and Rosyth.

Logically, with its location, lack of naval base status, dearth of uniformed back office support (inc decent accom etc), Rosyth should close. But with this corrupt shower of twunts in power, and Gordon Brown's constituency location, this is probably not as obvious as everyone else sees.

POrtsmouth, the home of the RN, with the new HQ, the integrated Maritime Warfare School, including outstations, being spread round the area, and 90% (yes, that's 90%) of personnel in the surface flotilla expressing it as their preference (officers and ratings, small and large ships), should never close. Most wives/other halves are happy to commute to somewhere in the South East in order to have their own career, but apart from Exeter, where does the Guzz based family work? FOr the first time since WW2, a naval town (ie Pompey) is actually becoming a nice place to live....

Furthermore, although the mess that is South Yard (once known as HMNB Devonport, while the North Yard was HMNB Keyham, apparently) could be redeveloped to fit T45s and CVF, there's the slight inconvenience of "Vanguard Bank" and Drake's Island.

Soooooooooooooo, it's a straight battle between political bribery for the constituency of yet another corrupt Labour minister ruling us pliable English, or common sense, billions of investment and the only logical place for the FLeet to be based, and the only sociable location left in the UK for a sailor to be based.

Here's a quick message to Caroline Dineage, the erstwhile Conservative parliamentary candidate for Portsmouth, who always gets pipped at the post by the Lib Dems at election time:

Get "Dave" Cameron to promise to save Portsmouth Naval Base if the Tories win power and you'll win the seat. Easily.

N-A-B Eagle and Ark Royal were Guzz ships No 10 dock being the only one that would take them, and i think you`ll find that the new CVAs will not be much bigger.

With reference to the mention that Faslane doesn't do refits well they have
ship lifts installed there and the bombers get pulled out of the water no problem.

Deep water port-loads of space and the clyde shipyards just down the river
[whats left of them!!] I think its time the Mod spread its wings a bit and left the sunny south coast --with the crowded conditions .

As for Scotland /Rosyth being shunted well the redundant bases are still in situ and mothballed at the moment .Unlike the south and east coasts -sold off to commercial enterprises.

stumpy

War Hero
A few yearsa go there was a Yes Minister episode where Hacker planned to move the RN and Army from the south to Scotland, nearer the Soviet threat.

Maybe Labour have finally seen an old episode and thought "What a good idea!" ...just as the threats are all south of us...

The answer is obvious. Shut Rosyth. Portsmouth, with its huge number of bases, easier access for CVF and Type 45s is obvious to keep. Or have a Minister with the balls to tell the treasury to .... well you can guess. If they want permanent war in far off places, fine, but fund it properly not with further cuts. Oh, but hangon, isn't he a treasury man? And Scottish? Bugger.

stumpy

War Hero
And another thing... surely time when your ship is in maintenance is valuable time to see your family, therefore it is surely logical to have it done near where most sailors live...not in Rosyth ffs! Otherwise, the ship will have to spend more time in base port later, and less time operationally.

D

Deleted 493

stumpy said:
And another thing... surely time when your ship is in maintenance is valuable time to see your family, therefore it is surely logical to have it done near where most sailors live...not in Rosyth ffs! Otherwise, the ship will have to spend more time in base port later, and less time operationally.

Lowest bidder wins that one. And the influence of business. I have spent a year on a 42 in Guzz, a year on one in Rosyth and recently eight months on a carrier in Rosyth. And I am a Pompey RA. The most recent one cost me almost £2k to augment the pisspoor GYH(P) package.

As you remember, to get round outher paying benefits they make any ship refitting in Rosyth into a Rosyth-based ship. Ask them why and you get smoke and mirrors.

Levers

geoffrey said:
Soooooooooooooo, it's a straight battle between political bribery for the constituency of yet another corrupt Labour minister ruling us pliable English, or common sense, billions of investment and the only logical place for the FLeet to be based, and the only sociable location left in the UK for a sailor to be based.

The more I think about it the more I see this as being very related to the parliament elections up here in May next year. Gordon has to ensure that he can turn in good news for the Fife area or his home powerbase is going to be severely impacted and his apparently safe seat will be at risk. Equally he cannot let the party up here lose any more power, they are already in coalition and could lose power completely if the SNP may any significant gains at all. Thus I suspect there will be tinkering with the role at Faslane and Devonport both to scare potential SNP voters in the west, and prepare for the worst, an SNP victory in Scotland that could threaten the basing of the deterent in Faslane. If at the same time they can pick up voters in Pompey and Gus at the same time, it will be win/win for Gordon.

Remeber Des is one of Gordons handmaidens.

Peter

D

Deleted 493

exmatelot said:
So it's Scotland v England again eh? I'm Scottish and spent the first 5 years of my naval life in England, didn't whinge about it, kept my draft chit in and bingo, 3rd time of asking I'm off up north. The more I view these pages the more I see the little Englander, in fact it's painfully obvious. Rosyth was sacrificed years ago, after all the money was spent on the nuke facilities, and after Guzz dockyard was shown to be geologically unsound for the same facilities. "Who cares, it's only the f*cking Jocks, f*ck them". You want a naval base? Try parking the Tridents a bit closer to London. No I don't think so either. The English ask why we Scots want out of the "Union", it's because the English are a bunch of arrogant, self serving c~nts.

Whereas the Scottish are nothing of the sort, are they? There's no paranoia, centuries of misguided, brooding indignation, tub-thumping crowing about next-to-****-all and a raw, illogical hatred and jealousy of neighbouring states and principalities based on the inability to move the **** on and get over it. Let's also not mention how many Scots work in England at their benefit and how much of a disaster a split from the union would be for Scotland.

Rosyth wasn't sacrificed years ago. By pure dint of fact - many DD FF and CVS refits are done there despite the fact that DML own large un-weather dependent refitting sheds and Rosyth just has the synchrolift for small vessels, itself looking quite decrepit these days. Okay, they lost the sub contract. But as a going venture, it is a lot livlier than Pompey these days and fares a lot better snuggled in near GBs constituency.

Don't align your obvious prejudices with what you believe to be 'Little Englander' mentality. The day Scots can allow themselves to be part of the Union is the day all the childish bickering will stop. It's taken 400 years to get nowhere where you're concerned, hasn't it?

Levers

EDIT>

Please leave this argument live.

Not_a_boffin

War Hero
Hig

I know Eagle & Ark were Guz, but the new ones ARE bigger, (by about 100 foot of length, 50 ft of overall beam and a good 8ft on draught. The QHM have also put a "limit" on what they're comfortable with and believe it or not, it's LESS than Eagle / Ark. 9 & 10 docks can't be used as they are the Trident refit & standy docks and the CVF sponsons are too wide for them.

Guz is on a very sticky wicket as far as SurFlot refits go, the refit complex is too small and won't take T45, leaving 8 dock as the only option and the shenanigans to get ammunitioned ships berthed mixed in with boats and the NRC have to be seen to be believed.

Levers_Aligned said:
exmatelot said:
The English ask why we Scots want out of the "Union", it's because the English are a bunch of arrogant, self serving c~nts.

Whereas the Scottish are nothing of the sort, are they? There's no paranoia, centuries of misguided, brooding indignation, tub-thumping crowing about next-to-****-all and a raw, illogical hatred and jealousy of neighbouring states and principalities based on the inability to move the **** on and get over it. Let's also not mention how many Scots work in England at their benefit and how much of a disaster a split from the union would be for Scotland.

Rosyth wasn't sacrificed years ago. By pure dint of fact - many DD FF and CVS refits are done there despite the fact that DML own large un-weather dependent refitting sheds and Rosyth just has the synchrolift for small vessels, itself looking quite decrepit these days. Okay, they lost the sub contract. But as a going venture, it is a lot livlier than Pompey these days and fares a lot better snuggled in near GBs constituency.

Don't align your obvious prejudices with what you believe to be 'Little Englander' mentality. The day Scots can allow themselves to be part of the Union is the day all the childish bickering will stop. It's taken 400 years to get nowhere where you're concerned, hasn't it?

Levers

Hear hear, Levers. I'm a complete Unionist, but over the last few years have become increasingly annoyed by the whining of a once great nation, reduced to nothing more than a Braveheart-obsessed welfare state, living off the money that the English provide under the Barnett formula. Although I'd love the UK to remain as an entity, a huge benefit of the expensive whingers being set adrift into the 2nd world irrelevance they so crave is that the rest of the country can be ruled by their own, not lorded it by the corrupt tartan bastards from haggisland.

While it must be frustrating for the few Scottish good eggs who serve their Queen and country to be based a long way from home, sheer fact of numbers means that most sailors want to be the SE of England - even those from Liverpool, Glasgow and Birmingham - because that's where the UK transport infrastructure is centred. Remember - 90% of surflot personnel express Portsmouth as their first choice.

In sum, Rosyth is a shitpit and Babcock only exist for political expedience purposes. Do a "Ravenscraig", or a "Dounreay", or a "Govan" - if it's crap, outdated and expensive ........ close it.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
exmatelot said:
The Scots understood what "Union" meant, unfortunately as comments here have suggested (yet again) the English thought it meant subsuming Scotland. I've no doubt the anti-Scots comments come from those pissed off because we have not allowed that to happen. The Union is past it's sell by date now, I can only hope the divorce isn't drawn out.
Do you seriously expect us to accept second-best all the time. You've had our oil now you want our power and water. Who's the scroungers? I'd suggest it's the effeminate wanks from south of the border.

Union - a joining of equals.

Where is the equality in the current set-up? The UK is goverened by a Scots dominated Cabinet - I have no problem with this; English policy is set by a Scottish dominated parliament by MPs who cannot themselves affect their own constituencies - I have a problem with this.

NHS - the inequality in funding to Scotland results in drugs/treatments being available North of the Border, but not in England. Is this a fair union?

Education - Scottish students pay no top-up fees, unlike English students; why? English tax-payers are once again providing a subsidy.

As a Navy brat I spent many years of my childhood in Scotland and was very happy there. Indeed, since my formative years were spent in Scotland amongst Scottish people I used to regard myself as part Scottish (by influence if not by pedigree). Some of my speech patterns contain Scottish words and phrases, yet since devolution, I've visited Scotland several times and felt threatened once my accent had been heard - an instant judgement, he speaks like an Englishman therefore he must be hated. In my experience the Scots today are racist (especially towards the English) and xenophobic; your rants just reinforce this impression.

I think I'll live with my childhood memories and forego the pleasure of visiting Scotland again - yes, there's the scenery, the culture, the food (not deep fried Mars bars!) that I'll miss, but by God I won't miss the insults, the hostility, the threatening atmosphere or the hatred just because I have an English accent.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Herald:Major defence review casts new shadow over Naval Base Bases / Shore Est 3
W Naval Base Review? Current Affairs 26
Permissionopenmuzzledoor Naval Base Review,Naval Estate Review Current Affairs 65
B Naval Base review again!!! Current Affairs 0
soleil Portsmouth Naval Base Christmas Card Competition Bases / Shore Est 1
janner Singapore Naval Base circa 1960. History 2
MoD_RSS News story: MOD continues to support regeneration of Porstmouth Naval Base MoD News 0
soleil Herald: "Diver Calls On Devonport Naval Base To Stop Dumping 'Toxic Sludge'" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Western Morning News: "Have Your Say On New Jetty At City Naval Base" Bases / Shore Est 5
soleil "Beyond The Walls Of Portsmouth Naval Base" - Vintage Bus Tours Bases / Shore Est 6
Seaweed Portsmouth Naval Base revamp plan: Bases / Shore Est 0
trelawney126 USS Freedom based in Changi Naval Base International 4
soleil Shipping Times: "Former Cold War Enemy Visits Clyde Naval Base" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil Herald: "Flying A Flag For The Naval Base" Bases / Shore Est 0
S Question: Do you have a choice or preference to which Naval Base I would placed on? Bases / Shore Est 25
soleil Pompey News: "Portsmouth Naval Base Commander Steps Down After Just One Year In Role" Bases / Shore Est 2
MoD_RSS Portsmouth Naval Base hosts Olympic Flame Current Affairs 0
soleil Guardian: "Big Job Losses Loom At Devonport Naval Base In Latest MoD Cuts" Bases / Shore Est 0
trelawney126 Devonport Twinned with Kiel Naval Base? Current Affairs 7
soleil Pompey News: "‘Portsmouth Has An Incredible Naval Base’" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pompey News: Ex Royal Navy Personnel Can Find Work At Portsmouth Naval Base Job Fair The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS Portsmouth Naval Base staff welcome new road Current Affairs 0
soleil Herald: "Cameron: Devonport To Stay 'Proper' Naval Base" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Herald: "Plymouth makes its last stand for its Naval Base" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil STV: "Glasgow-built Destroyer Sets Sail For Naval Base" The Fleet 0
soleil Herald: "Fly The Flag For City's Naval Base" Bases / Shore Est 5
soleil Daily Echo: Is Portsmouth Naval Base Earmarked For Closure? Bases / Shore Est 18
soleil BBC Hampshire: "Go-ahead for Naval Base Link Road" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil "Raider heads for HMS Naval base next to Tower of London" The Fleet 3
C Naval Base Visit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil "Naval Base Gears Up To Welcome Giant Carriers" Bases / Shore Est 8
soleil Guzz "Eco-warrior defends naval base nuclear sub scrap plan" Submariners 2
PartTimer "Terror arrest close to naval base" - BBC 29 Jul 09 Current Affairs 10
L Plymouth's Devonport Naval Base loses frigates and submarine Current Affairs 15
P Naval base future revealed Current Affairs 1
Jockroach Naval Base in South Africa History 18
N Visit to Cartegena Naval Base and Spanish MCMV Segura=Pics History 3
Seaweed Chinese naval base Hainan Current Affairs 28
W Jobs moving into Portsmouth Naval Base? Current Affairs 3
A Stumpy's Naval Base savings plan... Sell off Parliament Diamond Lil's 9
B Naval Nursing (student) Joining the Royal Navy 2
N Help with dads naval service. History 1
F 2021 Student Naval nurse selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS The Prime Minister has appointed Mike Utley CB OBE and Edward Stringer as Naval and RAF Trustees respectively of the Imperial War Museum. MoD News 0
Random An introduction to the joys of naval logistics aka why the RFA exists RFA 0
I Naval Careers Portal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
A Question for the Naval Engineers Submariners 2
P Late fathers Naval history History 7
D Naval nurse Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M Can you please Help reading naval record please Miscellaneous 9