Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

A Naval Base"Review", a Euphemism for Closure

As ever it is a cost cutting excercise and there will be a shuffle and cuts but no closures especially after the Devonport/Rosyth fiasco which still comes back to bite the MOD from time to time. At the same time I have a suspicion that with Scottish Parliament elections next year it is a Labour/MOD ploy to create a scare over Faslane and the associated jobs there. Just watch for the build up to an announcement that Labour has saved Faslane just beofre the election.

Peter

Do we need 3 bases? If one had to close which one would you choose?

Surely one base on it's own could manage to look after our fleet now that it has been reduced so much (although that would be tactically daft).

Where have we just spent the most money modernising ?
That's normally a sure sign of imminent closure.

Some people call me an old cynic. I like to think I'm a mature realist !?

Mercury, Vernon, Daedalus, Dryad - gone. Dolphin - resurrected as an accommodation centre, but cannot survive. Haslar gone, all bar the shouting. Sultan - rumoured to be going in the not too distant future.

Collingrad - developed to the nines, so an attractive purchase for somebody, no doubt.

Faslane won't be closed, but because of what is based there, not the current Scots hue of the government. Rosyth could cope with the carriers and T45s, so a possibility because of the current Scots hue etc. Guzz would sink into the abyss without the RN, so that's unlikely.

Sorry, Portsmouth - you have most of the history and will survive as a tourist centre, so you are the weakest link - goodbye!

asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
Mercury, Vernon, Daedalus, Dryad - gone. Dolphin - resurrected as an accommodation centre, but cannot survive. Haslar gone, all bar the shouting. Sultan - rumoured to be going in the not too distant future.

Collingrad - developed to the nines, so an attractive purchase for somebody, no doubt.

Faslane won't be closed, but because of what is based there, not the current Scots hue of the government. Rosyth could cope with the carriers and T45s, so a possibility because of the current Scots hue etc. Guzz would sink into the abyss without the RN, so that's unlikely.

Sorry, Portsmouth - you have most of the history and will survive as a tourist centre, so you are the weakest link - goodbye!

So Scotland and the West COuntry get the active service bases, while the two centres associated with Nelson will have bnecome heritage sites (Chatham who built the Victory and Pompey who display it).

Portland has become more attractive since being sold, already extensions are planned/underway to accomodate the RFA's that use it, also talk of a Z berth in the near future. Plenty of deep water, could the carriers get in there as well?

McHammock said:
Where have we just spent the most money modernising ?
That's normally a sure sign of imminent closure.

Some people call me an old cynic. I like to think I'm a mature realist !?

You're quite right! They abolished the Observer Corps after spending millions refurbishing our comms equipment! Beware! Give me shabby conditions anyday.

a_d 2 a-d

Have you been to Rosyth recently? It's a ghost town, with Babcocks slowly retreating to the building directly around the basin. There is NO, I repeat NO alongside berthing for a CVF with any sort of loading condition. Just because they're stitching it together there doesn't mean that they could actually accommodate an operational ship. All tehmold naval base jetties are now a bustling commercial port, so you can forget sticking 45's there as well.

Not_a_boffin said:
a_d 2 a-d

Have you been to Rosyth recently? It's a ghost town, with Babcocks slowly retreating to the building directly around the basin. There is NO, I repeat NO alongside berthing for a CVF with any sort of loading condition. Just because they're stitching it together there doesn't mean that they could actually accommodate an operational ship. All tehmold naval base jetties are now a bustling commercial port, so you can forget sticking 45's there as well.

As the old jetties you mention are now operated by Forth Ports all you need is the right money and you can use them any time you want.

At least there is a lot of activity going on to develop the parts that Babcick don't want for other industrial purposes rather than just letting it all rot away.

Peter

This country is going to get it's arse kicked soon as a result of ship sales, base closures, manpower reductions, regiment amalgamations and cutbacks in general across all 3 services. No political party of any hue that I can see offers anything else, the forces just aren't the pride of the country anymore - though what else they could do to reverse that is beyond me. It's just service personnel, ex-service personnel, their families, and those directly or indirectly employed by the services that seem to care. It's a crying shame.
Just remember who's let down who :evil:

exmatelot said:
This country is going to get it's arse kicked soon as a result of ship sales, base closures, manpower reductions, regiment amalgamations and cutbacks in general across all 3 services. No political party of any hue that I can see offers anything else, the forces just aren't the pride of the country anymore - though what else they could do to reverse that is beyond me. It's just service personnel, ex-service personnel, their families, and those directly or indirectly employed by the services that seem to care. It's a crying shame.
Just remember who's let down who :evil:

So, more schools and hospitals OR more Ships, Tanks, and Aircraft?

Ask that to the electorate!

asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:

I disagree - there are effectively 4 naval bases, 3 with ships (ie not Rosyth) and 3 with refitting capability (ie not Faslane) - this review, like all reviews a euphemism for "cuts", is predicated on losing one of the 3 refit capabilities, so Faslane was never in the frame. And with the D154 project complete, nuclear licensing issues, FOST being there, the SCXAs being there and everything else everyone has said, esp DML being owned indirectly by Dick "My boss is fellated by your PM" Cheney, Devonport will never disappear. So, it's a straight choice between Portsmouth and Rosyth.

Logically, with its location, lack of naval base status, dearth of uniformed back office support (inc decent accom etc), Rosyth should close. But with this corrupt shower of twunts in power, and Gordon Brown's constituency location, this is probably not as obvious as everyone else sees.

POrtsmouth, the home of the RN, with the new HQ, the integrated Maritime Warfare School, including outstations, being spread round the area, and 90% (yes, that's 90%) of personnel in the surface flotilla expressing it as their preference (officers and ratings, small and large ships), should never close. Most wives/other halves are happy to commute to somewhere in the South East in order to have their own career, but apart from Exeter, where does the Guzz based family work? FOr the first time since WW2, a naval town (ie Pompey) is actually becoming a nice place to live....

Furthermore, although the mess that is South Yard (once known as HMNB Devonport, while the North Yard was HMNB Keyham, apparently) could be redeveloped to fit T45s and CVF, there's the slight inconvenience of "Vanguard Bank" and Drake's Island.

Soooooooooooooo, it's a straight battle between political bribery for the constituency of yet another corrupt Labour minister ruling us pliable English, or common sense, billions of investment and the only logical place for the FLeet to be based, and the only sociable location left in the UK for a sailor to be based.

Here's a quick message to Caroline Dineage, the erstwhile Conservative parliamentary candidate for Portsmouth, who always gets pipped at the post by the Lib Dems at election time:

Get "Dave" Cameron to promise to save Portsmouth Naval Base if the Tories win power and you'll win the seat. Easily.

N-A-B Eagle and Ark Royal were Guzz ships No 10 dock being the only one that would take them, and i think you`ll find that the new CVAs will not be much bigger.

Latest Threads