Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

A mum's perspective

I once came home from a wander round the sea, put door key in front door and entered, only to discover that mum and dad had actually moved house during my absence.
Now this happened when I was on a surface ship pre-submarine service. Knew it was going to happen, but mail delivery to ship via BFPO obviously didn't get the news to me in time. I had been away for quite a few months and letters were the only means of communications back in the stone age.
A bit of an awkward situation to say the least.
Heard similar, bod goes home, key doesn't fit, door opened by stranger, who are you questions asked, seems his parents had moved, and didn't intend to tell him? Spoke to his sister, ho you didn't know, when he finds parents, they say if you can't be bothered to write to us and let us know what you are doing, Bla Bla?

I once came home from a wander round the sea, put door key in front door and entered, only to discover that mum and dad had actually moved house during my absence.
Now this happened when I was on a surface ship pre-submarine service. Knew it was going to happen, but mail delivery to ship via BFPO obviously didn't get the news to me in time. I had been away for quite a few months and letters were the only means of communications back in the stone age.
I shipped out with a dabber that had that something similar happen to him. He was living with his Mum in a council place in East Kilbride and while he was on patrol she'd arranged a swap. Apparently she did write to let him know but he didn't hang around for the mail, instead jumping straight into his motor and heading home. Walked in to the front room to find two complete strangers watching TV. Fortunately because they'd swapped with his Mum they could at least tell him where he now lived.

An oppo had that- mail hadn't reached him luckily his parents had left a message with the new tenats to say they'd moved a few roads away

Wife moved into married quarters whilst I was away. Jumped into a fast black and gave him the address, he said is that off so and so drive I said I don't know. He said well you live there, I said yeah but I’ve nevr been there!

Wife moved into married quarters whilst I was away. Jumped into a fast black and gave him the address, he said is that off so and so drive I said I don't know. He said well you live there, I said yeah but I’ve nevr been there!
At risk of black catting
MY oppo (ex Sonar then Coxswain) was a diesel submariner, during all the time they were courting he'd always had a dhobey inboard before seeing his Mrs. They got married over leave and he went on patrol straight after leave,
Whilst he was was away his Mrs moved into the quarter. He got back off patrol and legged it to Rowner knocked the door, his new Mrs took one smell and made him to get undressed on the doorstep before he was allowed indoors.
They're still together 37 years later

Last edited:
At risk of black catting
MY oppo (ex Coxswain) was a diesel submariner, during all the time they were courting he'd always had a dhobey inboard before seeing his Mrs. They got married over leave and he went on patrol straight after leave,
Whilst he was was away his Mrs moved into the quarter. He got back off patrol and legged it to Rowner knocked the door, his new Mrs took one smell and made him to get undressed on the doorstep before he was allowed indoors.
They're still together 37 years later
Not far of what happened to me every time, good job I am not too shy.

Latest Threads