A motley crew indeed!

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by scapa, Jul 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Army Game all over again.

2. bottom row... third from right... OM Bachelor???

3. What a motley crew , definitely Mr bean material , still keeps the walts happy .
    :wav:

4. Maybe, as they are so keen on blood and snot and acts of derring do, they can be persuaded to relieve a few of the boys and girls out in Iraq and Afganistan. Out there they won't have to re enact anything....no takers from the 'death or glory boys' :rambo: ....thought not!
    Trooped Again......where can I get me one of those fantastic 'wobbly bits' type of avatar? They are mesmerising!

5. Not entirely sure what to make of re-enactors: doesn't seem that they all have to be walts - if you're genuinely into historical research of the practices, uniform and events of a particular time, does waltiness have to follow? Plus, if you don't think the Sealed Knot bunch (Civil War re-enactors) and the like are walts, it surely follows that the more modern kind may not be walts either? Seems to me that you're only a walt if you pretend you're really in the military when you aren't - no evidence that any of the 4 commando lot are doing so.

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The Sealed Knot was founded by Brigadier Peter Young, who had been a Commando officer, supported by someone I knew who had been transferred to the Arab Legion for National Service because he got bored with the Scots Guards while he was in the Canal Zone - neither, hardly, a Walt. But that sort of historical reenactment serves a useful historical purpose in exploring the practicality of what we believe to have been military practice in those days, use of ground in bygone battles etc. So also there is a value in restoring, preserving and putting on show old military vehicles, aircraft and ships so that people today can see the real thing. But half-men dressing up (and badly) in WW2 kit are just pathetic fantasisers, compensating for not having had the guts to serve their country properly.

7. I agee, futher, if you were inclined to pretend you are second world war commando you would at least get into a half decent physical condition, that tosser at the back, far right, looks like he couldnt run twenty yards to catch a bus

8. Then again - dressing up like some of these geezers might
    just be considered *politically incorrect*, for the local
    Village Fete. What d'you do as a hobby Grandad?
    "Dress up as a Nazi Stormtrooper son...."

[​IMG]

(Yes, there all British)

9. Bit of a sweeping statement SW. How do you know that they haven't served their country? When these "Re enacters" do their stuff they usually draw an audience of ex servicemen, who often give tips on uniform, weapons and the like. I agree that there are a couple of comical shapes in the group, but hey, the fat one could be eating all the snorkers!

Semper Strenuissima

10. Seaweeds comment would mean that most of the Top Actors are walts,as at one time or another they have worn Military Uniform!Some(not all i grant you) take it very seriously and do a great deal of Research.Experimental Archeology uses Reenactors and their units as research material.

11. Oh Andy do you do a bit? Trainspotter and re-enactor, do you do Royal Engineers Train Driver circa1945? :w00t: :dwarf: :thumright: .
    When I was in, one of my oppos was in the Sealed Knot..he was a Royalist Pikeman and was always trying to recruit other guys to "come along for the weekend." Bollocks and waste valuable boozing time or watching Arbroath FC getting caned by Raith Rovers (My little hobby was going to Scottish 2nd Division games.).
    NZB

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Oh dear, I think SW is entirely right about these tossers.

Convincing defence though Onions. Which one is you?

13. Have to disagree here,pound to a pinch of shite says none of those gallant "commandos" has ever been in any armed service,Anyway heres one of our heroes about to slot a enemy tortoise http://www.4commando.org.uk/gallery/events/2004/aug/peak2004/peak2004_camp/pict1579.jpg

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Actors on film or stage are a completely different dish and some, like James Stewart, David Niven and Kenneth More did actually do their bit. And some of the films and plays either retold real stories or made valid points about war; and 12 O'Clock High was used by the Industrial Society to teach leadership.

15. Each to their own I guess..if they want to "re-enact" let them do it and make a fool out of themselves, they're not bothering anybody surely? You don't have to watch them/read about them or even take any notice.
    I myself am very interested in Native Americans (my choice) and "re-enact" if you like, the culture, traditions and history of those people. Does that make me a Walt? If people want to laught at that, fine by me, but it gives me great satifaction to teach the younger generation the values that these people had. How many times have I been accused of "playing cowboys and indians"!!! I don't see it as that.............

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator