A Maritime Nation but we know sod all.

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by NotmeChief, Nov 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For a supposed ancient maritime nation have you noticed the total cock-ups we (not including me) make when attempting any sort of salvage.

A couple of years ago a cargo ship washed up in Cornwall and after months of it sitting there, they decided to remove what was left of the shredded tyre cargo.
    What happened, 99% of it was lost overboard damaging the environment and poluting the sea.

Now, and right up to date, is the embarrasing episode of the MSC Naploi. They have had so much time to clear this and some of the calmest weather seen in the English channel for years, yet it is still partly there and now spilling oil on to the beaches of Brandscombe.

What a shower of amateurs, they might just have well given it to the Dutch or Norwegians who DO know what they are doing and have the equipment to do it.

Just thought I would post this as another example of way this Island has sunk into the shithole of the world and is laughed at (deservedly) by the rest of the world.
    Talk about third world! Somalia has **** all to worry about compared to the UK.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm... another **** up, and suddenly this country has turned to shit? "Pessimists of the world, unite!" :roll:

When it comes to criticising the UK we often blame everybody else, but it seems we do a perfectly good enough job by ourselves. How about promoting what is GREAT about Britain?! :?

3. Ok, there's m...m... and mm...mm ah **** it I can't think of anything need some help.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I refer to my previous, then:

5. We are good at allowing immigrants in without checking on them.

Then there is the Scottish Government that allow the foreign lorry drivers that bring in their cheap fuel, drive longer than their British counterpart and so undercut them.

And isnt it just GREAT that, here in Britain, fuel prices are over £1 per litre, and approx 77p of that is tax, or VAT on tax.

I hope that has been of some help NMC

6. As someone who lives and has citizenship of two countries I could write quite a long list of what is great about Britain; as I could about my other home country.
    All that needs to be done in the UK is to exract the digit, sod the b*****s and get on with it, take a risk! Stop faffing and stop whingeing!
    And FFS smile! It costs absolutely nothing. I have never been in another country where young people seem to be so interested in their shoes. Look up, hold your heads high and get on with it.
    Witness the newbies section on here; endless questions about what should be done, what should I wear, even what bag should I take (though I reckon this was a piss take)..just do it, step into the unknown, what on earth is there to lose.
    The UK is one of the most stunningly beautiful, and safe, countries in the world.
    Make everything thing you can of it and don't let anyone stop you.
    Well, it is Sunday so some sort of sermon is warranted.

7. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Not sure about Britain, but these words have always struck a chord with me:

No matter where I roam
    I will come back to my english rose
    For no bonds can ever tempt me from she
    I’ve sailed the seven seas,
    Flown the whole blue sky.
    But I’ve returned with haste to where my
    Love does lie.
    No matter where I go I will come back to my english rose
    For nothing can ever tempt me from she.
    I’ve searched the secret mists -
    I’ve climbed the highest peaks
    Caught the wild wind home to hear her soft voice speak
    To hear her soft voice speak
    No matter where I roam
    I will return to my english rose
    For no bonds can ever keep me from she.

I’ve been to ancient worlds
    I’ve scoured the whole universe
    And caught the first train home
    To be at her side.
    No matter where I roam
    I will return to my english rose
    For no bonds can ever keep me from she

Many of the things I love about our Country have been eroded in recent times, too many rules, I no longer feel "free", whatever happened to taking responsibility for your own life?

Saying that I love it: English Pubs, the countryside, canals, history, the rain, the snow, winter, spring, summer? and especially autumn, nowhere else on Earth is quite the same.

8. Well said Chieftiff.
    For myself, here in Catalunya I watch my back in case some scumbag nicks my wallet.
    In the UK I watch my back in case the nazis from the town hall nick my wallet.

9. Yeh yeh we know all that, but whats GOOD about it.