A little health advice

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by pliskin, Oct 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm about to under go my smq wet / part III I believe it used to be called. I'm just enquiring about vitamin deficiency. I know I will pick advice up on board, and there won't be a substantial effect however I would like to prep non the less.

I can't seem to find much information about this and thought advice of people who have suffered from this or served with people who have.

Thanks in advice
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. What? So you think you won't be fed properly. You can't find much information about it. Perhaps it isn't an issue in the first place.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  3. I think you're worrying about something you don't need to worry about - man up and concentrate on your training
  4. Prep for what exactly? Are you going to be the only submariner in history to walk around with a sun lamp?
  5. Im a Skimmer so safeguard im not taking the piss, but is this an actually problem? I do remember sharing a room in Sultan with a submariner though who claimed he had that Seasonal Affected Disorder (SAD. Sorry if I got the words wrong). He said he had spent a large amount of money on this light for his rack though that helped him. Suppose he could have been taking the piss but he did seem a bit of a weirdo.
  6. The only effect the vitamin deficiency has is the body doesn't process calcium due to lack of sunlight as far as I'm aware. As an ex-wrecker this manifested itself in calcium build up in the sewage pipework and was not a problem, physically speaking, as all is made good when back on the roof.
  7. Eat your fruit and veg and you ll have no probs.
  8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

You always hear of the lightweights dieing young. Various conditions. Anyone who does 22yrs pumps on until old age.
  9. Eat whatever the chefs cook and say "Thank you chef!"
    Top tip:- If there's broccoli on as a choice of vegetable,
    make sure you get a good heap of it (it's very popular).
    I'd recommend stashing some in your locker......just
    sneak the odd handful out of the mess every now and
    then until you have a good supply, Instead of craving
    six Marathon bars when you're one month into a six
    month deployment - simply open your locker door and
    munch away on a convenient broccoli stalk. Lovely.

And don't fu*k up your Task Book Training either!

Please click on the link below.
    He ate f**k all BUT broccoli for months on end he's
    got a chest on him like a gash-bag full of O2 candles,
    which was a wise choice 'cos steroids and fast neutrons
    don't mix together very well.

Submariner sets rowing records | British Forces News
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  10. If you want to waste vast fortunes in Holland & Barrett then crack on. Whilst you're there, ask them if there's any evidence for any of the things they're selling. The answer should amuse.

You don't need supplements - multiple studies done and as long as you eat what you're given you'll be fine.
  11. Garlic tablets ?.