A little confused

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by cricket00, Mar 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i was just wondering if recruiting has resumed again, i know its less than it was, but if the navy are training people then how come they are making redundancies in April??

2. Never heard of the expression "out with the old in with the new"?

I think it boils down to balancing the sheets as well as balancing the workforce as well. If you stop recruiting and cut down on top jobs you will in effect create a vacuum in certain positions as people get promoted or leave the service.

3. The navy never stopped recruiting.

4. ahhh right ok thankyou. Do you think alot of the job cuts will be within the higher ranks?

5. Go and wash your mouth out. We have more captains commodores and admirals than we've ever had in peacetime Just a shrinking handful of ships but a ever growing number of orders for flags with balls on.

6. appreciate the useful comment thankyou soothsayer.

7. Why do you ask?

8. Maybe cricket assumes redundancies will affect the higher ranks because most of the new recruits start right at the bottom, rather than enter as an officer, & so the junior officers are pushing their way up to make way for those below, etc... there's a sort of logic in there. somewhere... though the initial question was pointless because there wasn't a pause in recruiting anyway; there never is as far as i know. ?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Let's be honest, if you were one of the 250 Captains, 70 Commodores or 40 Admirals, or indeed one of the 5750 Commissioned Officers out of the 22,350 workforce (1 Officer for every 3.9 Ratings) ...where would you logically make redundancies? :-D

10. Start at the bottom of course, that's how it's always done. That way you can recruit more on a minimum wage + 10percent basis (Just like the airlines) train them all up on the cheap, work them like donkeys, and wonder why they all leave after two minutes. No matter though because there's plenty more out there - At the moment!
    Anyway I though admirals never retire; they just go to live in Angmering or Bosham.