A little bit of help please Gentlemen.

Discussion in 'History' started by wet_blobby, Apr 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

My mother has been researching her family tree, she's joined all the online search websites etc and has come across something quite intriguing.

Her fathers cousin was killed during the second world war, his trail ends abruptly with "Shot down, Portsmouth Harbour 13.7.43"

Now, the rest of the family was in the British army so I feel it's safe to assume he wasn't in the Luftwaffe, the research search engines have military links but all seem to be army records orientated. If he was shot down I'm guessing he was RAF or FAA. I doubt he was cutting about in a spitfire as everyone else in the family was Privates or had reached the giddy heights of Corporal in various infantry regiments. I'm guessing he was aircrew.

I've found a website that lists air raids on Portsmouth and there doesn't seem to be any on that day so again I'm guessing but it looks like Jacks shooting skills may have been surprisingly good that day, their aircraft recognition skills somewhat lacking.

The person in question is Earnest James Yarnall age 27. Any pointers would be good please.
  2. Blobs - Any chance it was the individual named here on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website? www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1532213

The entry shows him as a member of 210 Sqn RAF which flew Catalinas and moved to Hamworthy (being a bootie, you know where that is, don't you?) in Apr 1943. I can't find any more likely examples of Yarnall or Yarnell.
  3. done a search of the archives of brit planes which crashed / shot down over pompey area in '43 sorry shippers but cant appear to find any records regarding that surname.
  4. wet_blobby

Thanks NG.

That's top banana. The parents names and the address are a dead cert fit. We may well have a few diffy bits of info this end but that's a great help.

Many thanks.

Anyone know how I can find out anything about how he died?
  5. I have no idea how this information is written into official record, but is there a chance that his aircraft was attacked a good distance from the final crash site, or would he have been attacked where the record states 'shot down'?

Could there be a posthumous award of medals for him or other members of the crew for that mission? It may be written up in a citation, but only if he wasn't shot down by friendly anti-air.
  6. Hello again Blobs - See this forum on the RAF Commands website: www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=15874&forum=DCForumID6

7. ....Just watching from the sidelines but I must say - Well done, Rob.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Impressive find NG, well done.
  9. wet_blobby

NG, You're a star. Thank you very much, it's becoming clear how the 13.7.43 date figures, considering the crew didn't get picked up until the 12th....admin trail etc and being on detachment from the main group that was based in Hamworthy, I take it the records office for coastal command was in Pompey?
  10. See Coastal Command & Maritime Air Association website at www.griffon.clara.net/ccmaa/ccmaa_master.htm, particularly this:

Delighted to be of service on such occasions but now it's time to go sailing.
  11. wet_blobby

NG. Thank You.