a little bit confused

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by gingergorilla, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, im a little bit confused about my start date atm and wondered if anyone would be able to help.

I phoned up my local careers office today to see if they have heard anymore about a start date, my CA said that i have got a date of the 27th of june 2010 and that i have recieved the paper work, signed it and sent it back.

Im a little bit confused because on the letter it says that i have been offered a provisional date to attend Raleigh however it says not to interpret the letter as a formal offer to service. My CA said they would contact me around the middle of may so is that what they mean by a formal offer?

many thanks dan
  2. Your entry date will always be a provisional date until you actually turn up at Raleigh and sign on. Your date could change (but unlikely to) so don't go giving up any employment that you are in until the latest possible date before you join.

3. ah wickid, cheers for the quick reply. I didnt want to get my hopes up and tell everyone just incase i got it wrong and it ended up being alot later. So its fair to say that I would be able to tell people now as that would be when im joining if there are no delays.
  4. Alright there Ginger, I see you have the same date as myself. What you joining up as?
  5. As Drakey says they are only covering their own backs. Once you have the offer of service, that is pretty much it. You can go ahead and start planning for a June entry.

6. Ello m8, im joining up as an aet. what are you joining as?

It all come as abit of a shock as I was thinking the date would be around october. Cheers for the reply tho Drakey and sm, was the good news I was after.
  7. Joining as LOGS (PERS) mate. I was actually worried about my date being changed, i was taken aback when i noticed it wasn't a dead certainty to be June 27th but clearly nothing to worry about :wink: .
  8. Yeah i thought i was going to get another letter with a confirmed date thats why i was getting confused.

Hows your fitness and that coming along then?
  9. Pretty good actually, I haven't started running yet, that'll start next week because I'm focusing on swimming and upper body strength at the moment. How about yours?
  10. Yeah mines going ok so far, love the sea so happy with the swimming. But going to focus on the running now, aim to get my 1.5mile run down and also burn of that unwanted weight. Got three months to get fit so should all be good.
  11. Running is the big one for fitness so a good solid running programme will probably suffice for the next 3 months. Pressups and situps are quite important aswell I believe.
  12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Chaps. Keep the fitness up. As well as working on your fitness, work on your stamina as well. Basic training is designed to sort out the wheat from the chaff and for the first few weeks, you will be on your chinstrap. However, make sure you have a couple of rest days a week as you can overdo it. Also make sure you have a positive outlook as whatever you are going through, it gets better.

Best of luck.
  13. Best of Luck Ginger
  14. Aye this made me a little curious too, what exactly could change?
  15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

They could cut back drastically on recruiting, either because people aren't leaving or because of financial constraints. Or the selection process could change so that those that get better RT results and fitness results jump up the queue, if this was the case some would be to old to join before they got anywhere near the top of the list.
  16. Not true Janner.

Once someone has been allocated from the waiting list, that will normally be their entry date. However, if for some reason the course was cancelled, then we need to have a get-out clause in the offer. In my 8 years in the careers the date offered ahs always been there actual entry date.

17. Cheers me dear. I have to admit, I find it very difficult reading your posts and have to read them two or three times before it sinks in because I always have the Super Mario theme tune in my head when doing so and picture you running up and down the deck on a ship jumping on mushrooms and turtles and the such.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only exception I've seen is with a part trained re-entrant (ie: someone not having to repeat Raleigh, but needing to undergo complete phase two).

He was allocated a date to join Raleigh prior to being kitted-out & commencing phase two. The Phase two course slipped right, so his join date was put back a couple of weeks to avoid a hold-over.

I've had guys (& girls) having a provisional offer of service withdrawn if their Security Clearance gets knocked back (usually because of undeclared criminal convictions or poor credit record).

If the RT scores change or entry criteria changes after the entry date is allocated, "legacy candidates" still enter under the original criteria.

Oh yeah, I also rejected someone allocated an entry date because they twice failed to attend their pre-entry brief.
  19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I note the use of the word normally. Is it not feasible that my outline will come into being, why take less able lads when better are available?

It got one or two thinking a bit as well I suspect.
  20. I've got a loan and a few things on finance, would the poor credit score effect me?