A levels / GCSEs

legend

Hello All ,
As Ive had several pieces of good advice on this forum , wonder if any member can help me with this one . As Ive already stated here , I am trying to gain as much information as possible regarding recruitment into the RN for my Grandson by giving him the right advice so that I can help him make an informed decision about the whole process of joining ( hopefully later this year ) when he can leave school after taking his GCSEs . He is already carrying out quite a bit of research into what would be expected of him . At present he is really pushing himself to better his chances of doing well with up coming GCSEs even doing extra lessons and early morning lesson starts . He is expected to do reasonably well (according to his teachers) now possibly attaining a grade 6 or 7 in English and grades 5 to 6 in maths and possibly a 5 in Science as well as other subjects . He is a fit lad and keen , but now he has got it into his head to maybe push on and do his A levels for the next two years . Nothing wrong with that as such and it would be his choice but he would like to go to Raleigh and then onto Part two trade training as a Weapons Engineer Technician .
My point is , what would he gain by doing his A levels when he could (hopefully) go straight to HMS Raleigh then trade training and onto his first draft , and I think I am right in saying that he would have the chance of progressing onto A levels through his Navy education ? ( can anyone confirm this ) . Does this make sense ?

pompeyexpat

War Hero
He’d gain 2 more years life experience. If his A levels are in STEM subjects it would undoubtedly help with his Phase 2 training.

But yes, it is possible to take A levels in service.

Taztiff

War Hero
He’d gain 2 more years life experience. If his A levels are in STEM subjects it would undoubtedly help with his Phase 2 training.

But yes, it is possible to take A levels in service.
But he should also realise that it would take a while to 'catch up' to the level of his previous academic training through normal RN advancement and training.
Yes, it can make things easier to allow him to concentrate on other non-academic subjects but on the flip side there may be a chance of being 'bored'.
My brother was a case in point many years ago during his Phase 2 in Collingwood (he had previously done a college Electrical Engineering course). I was on an equipment training course and lived in the CPO's mess, many a night he used to rock up at the mess reception complaining that he was bored. He eventually finished course and went on to join a ship deploying to the Windies - how his outlook changed!
My son on the other hand, took A Levels and did a year in Uni before joining. A lot of the stuff he is doing on LET(WE) course at the moment is familiar to his previous academic study but the RN and military side are more 'hands on' and 'applied' and that is what he enjoys most.

Merman

Midshipman
I joined straight from school with just GCSEs. I would say it's possibly a bit early for me. I've done well don't get me wrong but I think 2 years doing A levels would have at least given me a little bit of life experience. Maybe a part time job or even try the RNR whilst he does them.

The other side to at is if then he decides the navy isn't for him, he can walk out with his A levels and look for another career. With just GCSEs his options would be more limited.

A levels may allow for advancement to the officer cadre if he decides that way is for him in the future.

Few thoughts to consider...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk