A Level sponsorship

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by J.Richardson, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, just a question about the sponsorship in the RN...

I'm doing my GCSEs this year, going on to A levels next year. I'm hoping to go on to join the navy as a Medical Officer, so uni after that.

My question is about the 6th form sponsorship available from the navy. Is there a certain time limit before applying, do they refuse it if your parents earn over a certain amount (I know for EMA you cannot recieve it if they earn less than £12000) and do I just need to call the navy to recieve it?

Apologies if this has been asked before or its in the wrong section! The RN website was very helpful with this matter.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to Rum Ration

Sponsorship is available for engineering students at A level standard through Welbeck College, not prospective medical students unfortunately.

Medical students can gain sponsorship during the last 3 years of medical degree & should apply via their AFCO at the beginning of year two.

3. Thanks very much!

Damn, that's a shame, but I guess hoping for a cadetship and a sponsorship was quite a lot lol.

4. Hi,

I've got a similar question so I thought I'd put it in the same thread. I'm currently completing my GCSEs and am going to start 5 AS Levels (probably only continue 3 or 4 to full A Level) at Bridgwater college in September. I would like to do Engineering at Uni, so I think I should have applied to Welbeck, but its probably too late now. I notice on the RN site, it says about a 6th Form scholarship of £1050 a year. How would I go about applying for this?

Kind Regards.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi Alex,

As long as you have the basic 5 GCSE's A*-C including maths & English, get in touch with your Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO), link below, tomorrow and ask to speak with your Area Careers Liaison Officer (ACLO).

Good luck.

6. Thanks for the advice :)