A Ladybird book...

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by dunkers, May 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the 1970s, children's book publisher Ladybird published a short book called How Computers Work. According to employees of said publisher the Ministry of Defence at the time ordered 50 copies of that book, asking for it to be bound specially in a plain cover, so that their students would not know it was a Ladybird book they were learning from.
    Today the MoD says they have no record of this book as it does not appear in their "books" department but it may have been a training manual, apparantely, in which case it would be classified.

So there you go eh, the Ministry of Defence's knowledge of computers stems from a kids book. Which could explain a lot.
  2. I know the civil service bought some Ladybird books on said subject in the early 80s, but have no knowledge of MOD purchase. Mind you I remember my civil service colleagues knowledge of computers (this was in 1983/84) was so appalling that I was shocked by their ignorance. I was still using a Model 1 Tandy... 48 KB RAM!!!! and a 5 MB hard disk :lol: In those days one wrote ones own software... in Basic! In those days even the Amstrad at only £500 seemed too sophisticated to some colleagues! (snigger)