A 'J.C'

#7
Gin, lemonade (real lemonade) and angastura (not sure on spelling) bitter, careful on the angastura's though as its poison
 
#8
Worked in the Horseshoe in Gib and got the delightful job of pre-mixing them before the ships came in. Recipe we used was:

Gin,
Angosturi Bitter,
Lemon juice (lemon squash, the undiluted stuff),
and Lemonade.

Hope that helps :D

xx
 
#10
Miss_Naughty said:
Worked in the Horseshoe in Gib and got the delightful job of pre-mixing them before the ships came in. Recipe we used was:

Gin,
Angosturi Bitter,
Lemon juice (lemon squash, the undiluted stuff),
and Lemonade.

Hope that helps :D

xx
Thats your definitive answer right there!
Miss N, any chance of quantities/ratios please?
 
#11
Lamri said:
Miss_Naughty said:
Worked in the Horseshoe in Gib and got the delightful job of pre-mixing them before the ships came in. Recipe we used was:

Gin,
Angosturi Bitter,
Lemon juice (lemon squash, the undiluted stuff),
and Lemonade.

Hope that helps :D

xx
Thats your definitive answer right there!
Miss N, any chance of quantities/ratios please?
Depends if you're making it in bulk, or glass by glass. Because Angosturi is absolutely deadly ... quite literally!

When I made it in bulk, We used to make it in in Bells Whiskey Gallon bottles. I used to put three tbl spoons of Angosturi, and then fill it up with lemon juice. We used to put the Gin and lemonade in seperately.

So a glass would = measure of lemon/angosturi mix, measure of gin, and filler up with lemonade.

However, if you're going to be making it glass for glass, then I'd suggest putting a small drop of angosturi in the bottom of a glass, give it a good swirl, throw it away, then your usual measure of lemon juice, measure of gin and the lemonade.

I usually add a small drop of lime to mine, find it gives it a bit of a fresher taste. But thats entirely up to you.

Hope that's helpful :D

xx
 
#14
For a unit bbq I'd definately recommend 'moose milk', from the Canadians, taste like ice cream until you stand up. Not a clue whats in it but its top stuff
 
#15
Cheers all, especially Miss N!

Can't get better than that. Tried moosemilk last year, with bad memories.. :oops:

Heres plotting a few bad heads :wink:
 
#16
Just to throw a spaniard in the works. Someone once told me that what we knew as a JC (John Collins) the one with gin, was actually a Tom Collins. It's the JC that has whisky in it. Anybody throw any light on this? Is it just a Matelot thing?
 
#17
Miss_Naughty said:
Lamri said:
Miss_Naughty said:
Worked in the Horseshoe in Gib and got the delightful job of pre-mixing them before the ships came in. Recipe we used was:

Gin,
Angosturi Bitter,
Lemon juice (lemon squash, the undiluted stuff),
and Lemonade.

Hope that helps :D

xx
Thats your definitive answer right there!
Miss N, any chance of quantities/ratios please?
Depends if you're making it in bulk, or glass by glass. Because Angosturi is absolutely deadly ... quite literally!

When I made it in bulk, We used to make it in in Bells Whiskey Gallon bottles. I used to put three tbl spoons of Angosturi, and then fill it up with lemon juice. We used to put the Gin and lemonade in seperately.

So a glass would = measure of lemon/angosturi mix, measure of gin, and filler up with lemonade.

However, if you're going to be making it glass for glass, then I'd suggest putting a small drop of angosturi in the bottom of a glass, give it a good swirl, throw it away, then your usual measure of lemon juice, measure of gin and the lemonade.

I usually add a small drop of lime to mine, find it gives it a bit of a fresher taste. But thats entirely up to you.

Hope that's helpful :D

xx
Jesus! Miss Naughty will be PMing you shortly :p
 
#18
Angostura ain't that bad! :eek: I've still got the bottle I bought when I first started work... bought back in 1983, and only 1/3 has been used!!! It is actually very nice splashing it very conservatively on chicken breasts before frying them in Spanish/French (or another fruity) olive oil. Gives them a really nice tang. Add tarragon too then finally , a few minutes before you serve add the dry vermouth (do use the decent stuff: Martini is great) and single cream (if desired). Serve with mash (boiled potatoes, butter, cream and a little nutmeg or better still, ground mace) or celeriac (boiled, buttered, mashed with a eggspoon of fresh lemon juice per large celeriac). Mmmmmmmmm! :) Have a gin based John Collins both before, during and after the scran... :D