"A" Haynes manual

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by pg55555, Nov 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm waiting for the 'S' one.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I'm waiting for the S and T ones (might find out how the auto-pilot works, always did hate that bit of kit :) )
  3. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Due out in May 14, if someone reminds me closer to that date I will get a copy for review in the reviews section.
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

AG make sure it goes out to a Diesel Boat Man, not one of the Nuckypoo's.

Man and Buoy has arrived hope to start it in the next couple of days.
  5. You could have done with it to sort out the bloody Foreplanes, I was always getting dragged out of my rack for you buggers to fix them
  6. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Be quiet Child, your elders and betters are talking. Listen and you may learn something :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Spartans wreckers hated the for planes, use to work ok pre refit but once the yard used their dodgy manual for servicing, they were never the same again they could have done with a "s" Haynes Manual, well anything with pictures would have helped, it would have shown the rams were round and not square?
  8. Spent many a happy!! hour in the fore planes recess trying to get them to indicate they were retracted, when sat on the panel and the order came to retract the foreplanes I used to sit with my fingers crossed hoping they'd indicate home, sometimes they did as well :)
  9. As for the mechanics, I dont know, but operating went, set depth, turn it on, boat goes a couple of feet off depth, george puts on full oposite planes, boats goes further off depth other way, george puts on full opposite planes, you are now oscillating 100ft either side of required depth, fiddle with damper thingy, fail to find happy medium, turn it off, this was back in the day, they may have improved.
  10. They hadn't improved Sharkey, it was a black art setting George up (one I never mastered tbh) but when set correctly, George was always the best planesman on board.

11. Know the feeling! I used to dread it when the Skipper used to say Chief S-B, single ping on 2001! It hardly ever went out first time.

I said single ping Chief.

Just cycling through sir.......

12. At his worst he was better than me, my arrival on the planes was swiftly followed by a request from the soundroom, could the planesman stop thrashing around, we cant hear fcall.
  13. To be fair "George" was a bloody good help but i would despair watching some of my compadres expecting him to be able to be exact at the very moment that they switched him back on. Even George would take a certain time to get his bearings and feel for things....most planesmen (and ship controllers for that matter) were just too impatient to wait him out. Besides sitting in auto all watch would be boring as hell...i much preferred giving it welly myself...just to pass the hour!...having said all that ..Yes, George could be a Cnut sometimes! But no more of a cnut than most RS planesmen as i recall
  14. The new 21st Century state-of-the-art planesmans position on the next batch of "Unfathomable" Class submarines. Designed by Argos Submarine Systems plc - who have adopted a "back to basics" approach. Easy to repair as parts are available at all branches of Kevin Coopers.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  15. Didn't you have one for 2001 Dave?
  16. Hi Fred, glad to see you're still alive!

No, my copy had lots of pages missing, hence the post about 'single ping' somewhere recently!
  17. That because we nicked them to colour in the pictures, what else do you think we were going to do in the school? Learn sumfink?
  18. There were pictures.........?
  19. Well call them block diagrams if you must but they were OK for colouring in? I always found it difficult to keep the crayons in the lines.