A Guide to perfect ironing

For potential RN recruits - Shirt collars, silk and steamy pants: a beginner’s guide to perfect ironing

José Mourinho has said he doesn’t know how to iron – and when it comes to pressing things properly, he isn’t alone.
Here’s how the experts do it

José Mourinho famously brought style to the Premier League. “Every man should have a white shirt in his wardrobe,” he once proclaimed. “Sooner or later you will need it.”

It always seemed as if his perfectionism made him the sort of man who, despite his wealth, would take charge of his own wardrobe. There he would be, relaxing in front of Match of the Day, while methodically folding his charcoal cashmere jumpers and starching his blue shirts.

But explaining why he chose to live in a hotel while manager of Manchester United, he revealed himself as lacking in the domestic department: “I would have to iron, I don’t know how to.”

None of us do, do we? Lynsey Crombie, AKA Queen of Clean, answers some pressing questions.

How do you iron shirts?
Always start with the collar: start in the middle and work your way out because if you iron straight across it, you can get lumps and bumps in it. I don’t use starch. These days you don’t need to, as lots of shirts have collar stiffeners in them. Next, do the yoke – the part across the upper back and shoulder – then the sleeves, cuffs and main body. As soon as you’ve ironed it, get it on a hanger and hang it up with space around it.

What about iron fitted sheets?
I iron fitted sheets so they fit neatly into the cupboard. If you don’t iron them, you tend to screw them up and shove them in. The trick here is to fold the sheet in half, then into a quarter. I don’t bother to iron the elasticated bits separately; I fold it up, so the sheet becomes square-shaped, then iron it.

Should you use linen spray?
I don’t, but if I’m away without an iron, I make a spray from white wine vinegar diluted with warm water. Spray the garment, then pull it to get the creases out.

When do you change the setting on your iron?
I separate my ironing pile. I do my delicates first on the lowest setting, then work my way up to the items that need the hottest setting.

Which fabrics should you not iron?
I iron everything. Silk is the only one you need to be careful with; I put a tea towel on top to prevent damage. Be careful with lace or a netted feature on garments; iron those inside out or put a slightly damp cloth over the top. You might not have to iron it anyway.

Should you iron handkerchiefs and tea towels?
It’s personal preference. I think an ironed handkerchief looks nicer. I do iron tea towels sometimes, because then they fit in the drawer nicely.

How about a pleated skirt?
I do. Put it on your ironing board and rotate it, pressing each pleat once.

And pants?
No. I used to run an ironing business and people would give me their pants to iron, and it was disgusting. But it’s a personal choice. If you want hot, steamy pants, iron them.

PS This article swerves the burning Question 'What Iron will I need?'

Recent RALEIGH graduates have been remiss in sharing their experiences but the Search function might help with this once topical yet vexing subject.

Last edited:
^Lynsey Crombie, AKA Queen of Clean showing a more seasonal use of the Ironing Board

1575947541485.png

Stuck for a pressie idea for your Mum or OH? - Try her new book @ only £9.35 from Amazon
1575947916626.png

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
My life has been subtly enriched by this, even if it is by an infinitesimal amount.

Thank you.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
How do you iron shirts?
Always start with the collar: start in the middle and work your way out because if you iron straight across it, you can get lumps and bumps in it. I don’t use starch. These days you don’t need to, as lots of shirts have collar stiffeners in them. Next, do the yoke – the part across the upper back and shoulder – then the sleeves, cuffs and main body. As soon as you’ve ironed it, get it on a hanger and hang it up with space around it.
Well that's a load of bollix! As we all know that you MUST iron from the tips in, otherwise you can end up with a ridge - right beside where the beady eye of the inspecting officer checks to see if you are using a clip-on.

What? Me? (Hardly) never!

Taztiff

War Hero
I don't believe I actually read all those tips :rolleyes:

I've not ironed for years since Mrs Taztiff decided I couldn't do it right ;)
Nor painting the skirting boards :D

edited to say not ironed for years (blooming small phone screen()

Last edited:

BillyNoMates

War Hero
I purchase irons (and ironing boards).
I fill the steam generator with water.
I put the ironing board away.
Haven't ironed a thing since June 1994.

Sumo

War Hero
Made the mistake of pointing out an error when my wife ironed an No 8 shirt once...

I've ironed my own stuff ever since :(
When I was first rated Sr she used to iron and starch all my shirts, didn't last long.
Buy all the easy iron shirts, take them out of the tumble dryer hot, straight onto an hanger, job done.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS MAA email alert guide MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guide helps find and classify geospatial datasets across search engines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Arts Minister launches call to save a Medieval guide for hermits MoD News 0
P Step by step guide into the Navy 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
R HMS Raleigh and guide dogs Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS New guide aims to make location data more accessible MoD News 0
vauxhall MOD guide for the Annual Allowance Notification Letter Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS New guide for parents of LGBT+ children MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guide to GCSE results for England, 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guide to AS and A level results for England, 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New Council Tax guide protects most vulnerable households MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New guide to help consumer markets better support adults at risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Regulator issues guide on becoming a registered provider MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New guide to help consumer markets better support adults at risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Ethical principles to guide police facial recognition trials MoD News 0
vauxhall Preserved Pension Benefits Guide Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: A visual guide to Exercise Saif Sareea logistics MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New pocket guide for troops to access mental health support MoD News 0
D Does anyone have experience with the JobTestPrep guide for AIB? RFA 4
SONAR-BENDER I'm a Girl Guide! No, REALLY! I am! Diamond Lil's 13
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Survival Guide for Navy For Moms Newbies Nearest & Dearest 1
Stirlin Pension guide. Finance & Pensions 4
MoD_RSS News story: New lights will guide the way for Queen Elizabeth Class carriers MoD News 0
M Medical Officer Cadetship - Definitive Guide! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS News story: New guide for civilians working on military exercises MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MAA email alert guide MoD News 0
diehard Gig guide Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 14
Guns User guide to the new software. Site Issues 4
FreedomTea From picking up the phone to Britannia - A guide to Officer Selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
taffscrivs Good Pub Guide 2014 Diamond Lil's 73
sgtpepperband Gentlemen and Tarpaulins: "The Journalist’s Guide To Writing About The Royal Navy" The Quarterdeck 3
soleil Guide And Gazette: "Did You Serve At Shore Base HMS Collingwood?" Bases / Shore Est 4
sgtpepperband A Guide to the Naval Records in the UK National Archives History 6
Bad CO The Official ARRSE Guide to the British Army by Major Des Astor Competitions 1
janner Texan’s Guide to Life Miscellaneous 3
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp D-I-Y Guide to Seemingly Innocent Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
soleil Arbroath Guide & Gazette: "Carnoustie Man Receives New Year Honour" The Fleet Air Arm 0
cadetsmum An Idiots guide to Flying Aptitude Tests required The Fleet Air Arm 39
witsend The Which Guide To Joining The RN (v1.0 Lil's) Diamond Lil's 32
F Free Forces Home-Buying Guide Finance & Pensions 5
soleil Pompey News: "New iPhone App Guide To Royal Navy Ships" The Fleet 1
Seven Spurious Officer CD-ROM -"Insiders' guide to success" Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
BillyNoMates The R.R. Good Pub Guide 2010 Diamond Lil's 17
S Ultimate Guide - Submarines The Quarterdeck 0
Blackrat Skiffing. A Guide For Beginners. Diamond Lil's 26
Ageing_Gracefully Joining the Royal Navy: The Insiders' Guide Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
BillyNoMates The R.R. Good Food Guide 2010 Diamond Lil's 7
K step by step guide to how to do forces publicity Current Affairs 8
soleil Arbroath Herald: "Meet New Guide Dog Condor" The Corps 0
B BLIND DOG AND THE GUIDE DOG Current Affairs 17