A good idea for disposing of ex-RN warships...?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by stumpy, Sep 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/09/nwrecks109.xml

Basically there are plans to sink up to a dozen ex RN ships off east sussex for diving. As a diver myself I think it would be a great idea, but what do you think?

Personally though, for only £300,000 I do think that one of the Type 42s should be kept in Portsmouth as a museum.

(Edited for typing with one hand as I am holding a baby in the other!)

2. I believe they've done the same with the old batch 3 Leander 'Scylla' off the coast of Guzz/Cornwall somewhere

3. The did, apparently development of marine life around her is much faster than was expected.

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I believe that 3 divers have died on her since she was sunk

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

6. This probably seems stupid because I dont really know much about the RNR, but could they not make use of any of the old ships? seems a waste to sink the lot when the RNR have none to operate, even just for training purposes?

7. Although not a diver I think its a great idea. Nobody else will want these old ships so why not put them to some use? Scylla is a great success so I believe and I know the Amercians scuttled an Aircraft Carrier off the Florida Coast to make an artificial reef. At the moment these ships, plus Fearless and Intrepid are costing the RN money to keep them at the top of the harbour and certainly the LPDs need money invested in them to just keep them seaworthy at anchor! ( I imagine diving into the tank deck of a submerged LPD would be a fairly cool experience.)

Of course we would have to make sure that they were properly cleaned in accordance with MARPOL regs - which is why the LPDs are still there,too much crap in them.

I would much rather the T42s were scuttled and enjoyed by divers and also brought some money into a local economy rather than just slowly rusting away.

8. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

There are inherent risks with diving. All divers know the risks. We still do it though. It's about minimising the risks through the use of decent equipment and good training.

9. Cachalot : 327 sinkings, 327 surfacings
    Sealion : 401 sinkings, 401 surfacings

Result : success !

10. Well said.

11. Indeed, and as I recall there was a lot of work done to reduce the risk prior to the sinking; doors removed, tank lids welded shut, cable trunkings removed etc.

Can't minimise risk completely, and you can't mitigate for all decisions made whilst down there.

12. True, but too many civvie divers fit it in somewere between thick as shit and too stupid to be able to count past 10 without using their toes.

My old man fished all to many of their dead bodies out of the Channel because they thought the tables could be stretched and a dayglo rubber suit was a substitue for basic physical fitness.

13. I don't think they have the numbers needed to man and maintain them, it costs a bomb to keep the ships up to sea going standard, it's a shame but that the truth of it ^_^;